Deceased/Not Found VA - Eric Smith, 42, Cedar Bluff, 8 Nov 2013

You did such a wonderful job with the flier. I shared it on my wall and linked it on the group's wall. I considered digging up the old Topix thread and posting it there but I'm afraid it would just bring all the idiots back out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

268 shares on his flier! Wish I had time to make one that had the reward on it. I asked to join the group; wasn't online much yesterday so am not sure if I was put through.

The family is planning a candlelight vigil for Eric next Saturday, the one year anniversary of his disappearance. I'm surprised that it is just now being announced and that the media hasn't been asked to share the info.

The family is planning a candlelight vigil for Eric next Saturday, the one year anniversary of his disappearance. I'm surprised that it is just now being announced and that the media hasn't been asked to share the info.

Let me know if you see an article. Will bump his flier on NFM

Let me know if you see an article. Will bump his flier on NFM

Thanks and I will. Did you ever get added? The page was actually active again today with posts about the vigil. I checked the local news sites and the community page but so far the only place I have seen the info is on the closed group page.

Thanks and I will. Did you ever get added? The page was actually active again today with posts about the vigil. I checked the local news sites and the community page but so far the only place I have seen the info is on the closed group page.

says pending. Sorry, been busy. Daughter had her wallet stolen Sat; been looking through public trash cans

says pending. Sorry, been busy. Daughter had her wallet stolen Sat; been looking through public trash cans

Oh no, I hope that some kind person found it and will turn it in. It is such a hassle to cancel and replace all the necessary cards and documents.

I'll message the admin again about your request to join. Maybe he has just been busy organizing the vigil. Some of the out of state family had asked him about live streaming the vigil so that they could participate and he was supposed to be looking into that on top of the normal preparations.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/vigil...cle_d6c1e7c8-64a8-11e4-9577-971495884c6a.html

Family and friends are hosting a candlelight vigil Saturday on the first anniversary of a local man’s disappearance...

The candlelight vigil will begin at 6 p.m., Saturday outside Cedar Bluff Town Hall, Clifton stated. Prayers will be offered, and family and friends will speak. Photographs of Eric Smith will be passed out to guests.

“They’re going to try to get some pictures and pass out and remind people that we are still trying to come up with some answers. The family needs closure,” Clifton said.

I saw the activity on Missing Forum main page and had to come over to see if there were any new developments. Still can't believe this. He is familar with the area, an experienced hunter and he CAN'T be found on his own property!!???!? That baffles me. And he didn't go out in the dark, but at 10:00 in the morning. I hope something comes up soon.

I updated the blurb on Eric's flier with the 2 articles OkieGranny posted. Direct link to flier

I then shared it on Never Forget Me with the vigil & reward info
Eric G Smith's vigil post
Still Seek Answers made an album for Eric -Eric Smith, 42, Cedar Bluff, Nov 8, 2013

Eric G Smith - missing one year - CANDLE LIGHT/ PRAYER VIGIL Saturday Nov 8th 6 p.m., at the gazebo outside of Cedar Bluff Town Hall. See link below for more info. Our heart will be with his family. There is a REWARD of $20,000; who could use that kind of money with the holidays coming? PLEASE, if you know something, call it in!

- Vigil to be held for missing Va. hunter

One year later, still no sign of missing Cedar Bluff hunter

CONTACT - Cedar Bluff Police Department at 276-963-3975; Virginia State Police - Special Agent Dave Belcher 276-889-7660 or Virginia State Police at 276-228-3131 or toll free at 1-800-542-8716. Case number 13-84-02-5029

NamUS Profile

http://m.bdtonline.com/news/candlel...670-67ca-11e4-98f8-7b1069d98f8b.html?mode=jqm

Cedar Bluff Police Chief Dave Mills smoke very briefly. “They still have faith in the Lord,” he said. He said that Dreama Smith, “has been of help to me,” and mentioned a cancer. “I think, in the power of prayer ...” he said, indicating what appeared to be that answers would follow. He turned, walked off the gazebo and slipped into the darkness.

The above comment says so much about the family Eric came from. I'm not a fan of Dreama's particular brand of religion but while many blame Dave for the lack of progress in Eric's case, she found it within herself to offer up prayer and support on his behalf when he was fighting cancer. She impresses me every time that she speaks about Eric.

I don't believe this article has been posted about him. Good to see that the media still has some articles about him. Sounds like he was well respected in his field.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/frien...cle_92c64836-6307-11e4-a32a-ef33bea3a0d0.html

All of Eric's co-worker's that I have spoken with speak very highly of him. My dad owned several mines in this area and he always had a great deal of respect for Eric too. He was good at what he did and he had worked hard to get to where he was.

Never say never and all that but I would be completely floored to learn that Eric just up and walked away. Absolutely nothing about him suggests that he had it in him to just disappear and start over elsewhere. It appears that Eric was part of a rare and rapidly declining group of 'what you see is what you get' people. There hasn't been even a hint of "secrets hiding under the surface" rumors.

Just to keep this thread moving...

What are the options here? What are the possibilities and likelihoods? I don't want to sound too negative here, but I'd like to just present the rational possibilities.

1. He left on purpose and of his own will (with no mental health issues).
2. He left on purpose and of his own will (with some sort of issue?, any known depression or possible bipolar/etc?).
3. He died of natural causes (was sick when he headed out?) and just hasn't been found.
4. He had an accident of some sort and just hasn't been found.
5. He was murdered by someone he knew.
6. He was murdered by someone he didn't know.

By all accounts he wouldn't have left his family and held down a job/worked hard/had no mental health issues that we've heard of, so that makes numbers 1 and 2 seem less likely. It also sounds like he was a very fair man that no one should have had a grudge or anything against him, but not all killers are "rational" in why they don't like someone or have something against them.

Is it possible that someone was hunting in the area where his stand was and shot him accidentally? Maybe they panicked and hid his body?

We've had many people that have come and hunted on our land illegally and were NOT safe with firearms (drinking and hunting, brandishing, etc).

What are the options here? What are the possibilities and likelihoods? I don't want to sound too negative here, but I'd like to just present the rational possibilities.

2. He left on purpose and of his own will (with some sort of issue?, any known depression or possible bipolar/etc?).
3. He died of natural causes (was sick when he headed out?) and just hasn't been found.

By all accounts he wouldn't have left his family and held down a job/worked hard/had no mental health issues that we've heard of, so that makes numbers 1 and 2 seem less likely. It also sounds like he was a very fair man that no one should have had a grudge or anything against him, but not all killers are "rational" in why they don't like someone or have something against them.

Is it possible that someone was hunting in the area where his stand was and shot him accidentally? Maybe they panicked and hid his body?

We've had many people that have come and hunted on our land illegally and were NOT safe with firearms (drinking and hunting, brandishing, etc).

Great thinking!

I think 1 & 2 are unlikely because of the type of man that Eric was. He was dedicated to his family and his job. He wouldn't have willingly left though things. He worked so closely with many of the men speaking up for him now for many years and I don't believe that he could have kept a mental illness hidden under the circumstances they worked in.

Three would seem like the best possibility but he was going less than a mile in the woods. I believe that he would have been found fairly quickly if he had been overcame by illness. The same applies to 4 plus it is really unlikely that there were other hunters in the woods given the rather unusual hour he was said to have set out.

5 & 6 - I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about Eric but if someone was holding a grudge against him they aren't likely to be broadcasting it now. I'm sure other men were passed over for promotions that went to him throughout the years plus as a foreman he likely had to come down on his men from time to time so there may have been hard feelings that haven't been made public. People will kill for the craziest of reasons or for absolutely no reason at all, as we all know.

I wondered if he might have happened upon something in the woods that he shouldn't have but it really doesn't seem likely since he was making a quick trip to his tree stand in the daylight and he wasn't in an area that would appeal to criminals looking to hide their activities.

I really don't believe that Eric is in those woods. I'm not sure I believe that he even set out for the woods that day.

Great thinking!

I think 1 & 2 are unlikely because of the type of man that Eric was. He was dedicated to his family and his job. He wouldn't have willingly left though things. He worked so closely with many of the men speaking up for him now for many years and I don't believe that he could have kept a mental illness hidden under the circumstances they worked in.

Three would seem like the best possibility but he was going less than a mile in the woods. I believe that he would have been found fairly quickly if he had been overcame by illness. The same applies to 4 plus it is really unlikely that there were other hunters in the woods given the rather unusual hour he was said to have set out.

5 & 6 - I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about Eric but if someone was holding a grudge against him they aren't likely to be broadcasting it now. I'm sure other men were passed over for promotions that went to him throughout the years plus as a foreman he likely had to come down on his men from time to time so there may have been hard feelings that haven't been made public. People will kill for the craziest of reasons or for absolutely no reason at all, as we all know.

I wondered if he might have happened upon something in the woods that he shouldn't have but it really doesn't seem likely since he was making a quick trip to his tree stand in the daylight and he wasn't in an area that would appeal to criminals looking to hide their activities.

I really don't believe that Eric is in those woods. I'm not sure I believe that he even set out for the woods that day.

I lean toward 5 & 6. As far as stumbling across illegal activity, the first thing that comes to my mind is illegal marijuana. BUT that late in the fall, any such crop would already have been harvested. And I would think that would be more likely in a public woodlands as opposed to someone else's private property. And the hunter that he is, he probably been all over his property prior to the start of the season looking for deer sign - if there were illegal crops he would have seen it then.

As far as someone holding a grudge, well, killers will rationalize an excuse as to why they wanted someone killed. Eric could have had very good reason for coming down on someone, but that someone may not see it like that way.

I think this is good. First time we've thrown out scenarios.

I lean toward 5 & 6. As far as stumbling across illegal activity, the first thing that comes to my mind is illegal marijuana. BUT that late in the fall, any such crop would already have been harvested. And I would think that would be more likely in a public woodlands as opposed to someone else's private property. And the hunter that he is, he probably been all over his property prior to the start of the season looking for deer sign - if there were illegal crops he would have seen it then.

As far as someone holding a grudge, well, killers will rationalize an excuse as to why they wanted someone killed. Eric could have had very good reason for coming down on someone, but that someone may not see it like that way.

I think this is good. First time we've thrown out scenarios.

I just sent out 10 texts reading "if one were growing marijuana around here would it be harvested by early Nov"? I'm going to get a lot of "explain yourself" calls in the morning.

I don't believe this article has been posted about him. Good to see that the media still has some articles about him. Sounds like he was well respected in his field.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/frien...cle_92c64836-6307-11e4-a32a-ef33bea3a0d0.html

Thank you; I shared it on Never Forget Me yesterday. I have to add the vigil one too; some how missed that. Sounds like a huge turn out.

I really dislike the articles focusing on Eric that he "walked away". The reason for it is that a lot of police will not accept a missing persons report saying adults are allowed to walk away at any time. They have said that about so many adults since the 70's; it's why some of our Does can't be found in missing databases. This proves that adults go missing because they are killed.

I do not believe Eric walked away. I wish they would stop saying it and focus on Eric being missing. Why did he go missing? Most likely someone harmed him. I have my own theories; but someone had it out for him. Someone killed him. I would like to know the last time someone other then family saw or spoke to him. That is my biggest & 1st question.

I have "met" his mom & one daughter; my heart breaks for them. Why do we only see his mom in articles? I understand if it's too much on his daughters but where is his wife? If my husband went missing, I would be screaming for someone to keep walking the woods to find him. I just do not understand not seeing a wife begging for help. I can understand if there were rumors; but if it was myself; I would not let them bother me. I am not saying she did anything; just wish we'd see her

Look at 74yr old hunter Barry Zeldin missing in NJ last year a month before Eric. His wife is in every article I see. For those not familiar with Barry, his SUV was found with his dog, wallet & cell; yet no body. He had health issues & could have had a stroke. We have animals that could have carried him away; I don't know; unless someone took him from that location. I wish they would have put his dog on a leash to try to find him when they first found his SUV.
NJ - Barnett "Barry" Zeldin, 74, Chatsworth, 07-Oct-2013

I have seen cases where SAR have missed the bodies; Chris Sexton WV missing 10/15/13 found deceased 12/6. SAR was within IIRC 15 feet of his body. He was found missing a shoe; one would think it would make the SAR pick up his scent more. Dr Teleka Patrick from MI was also missed by SAR. Then there is Victoria Prokopovich missing from WI 2013; SAR picked up her scent in a quarry but did not find her.

How do 2 hunters; one with known health issues & one young & healthy vanish into thin air? Aliens? Animals? Human intervention? Are they both still in the woods but missed by SAR?

I can say with complete certainty that 1) marijuana would have been harvested before Eric went missing because we had had multiple frosts at that point and 2) there were absolutely no signs of any illegal grows on that property.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back