VA - Eric Williamson for indecent exposure, Springfield, 2009

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...offee-naked-or-exposing-himself_-8418601.html

Another version of the story. I will say, though, that Williamson is the only person in any of the articles who says it happened at 5:30 am or that she was in his yard. In another article posted earlier, though, he was quoted as saying he had no idea when it happened since he was walking around the house naked for several hours.

I think things may be going kind of off track for Mr. Williamson, seeing as how he was fired on Friday, charged with indecent exposure on Monday, and convicted of public intoxication on Wednesday. Sounds like it's been a very bad week for him.
If Mr. Williamson was Miss Williamson, and she was naked in her own house, and a man walking by had reported her to the police, I wonder who would end up arrested?
What say you?
Let's face, I find it extremely unlikely they would have arrested a woman for being naked in her own house.

(respectfully snipped)
… If the genders were reversed, how could anyone reasonably doubt that the man in the yard would be arrested as a peeping tom?
You can bet he would be.

I hope he wins everything.

ITA. If the genders were reversed the person outside of the house would be charged as a peeping tom.

I was more outraged about this story before I read that the woman and boy were walking by his front window, which, as you can see by the picture in this article, is practically a picture window. Being naked in your own home is one thing; being naked in front of your front window with the curtains open and the light on when it's dark outside is something different. He'd have to be an idiot to not know he could be seen from the street.
Picture of him (clothed) in the window-- http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-naked-kitchen,0,7977988.story

It looks to me like the view is obstructed. Regardless, if I accidentally saw someone naked in their own home, I'd feel as if I'd intruded on their privacy. She should have just turned away and picked a new shortcut.

It sounds to me like the only reason he was arrested is because a cop's wife made the complaint. It's ridiculous to arrest people who like to go au naturel in their own home. And I really don't see how they are going to prove that he knew someone was there.

I was taught, as a child, never to look into someones window while walking down the street-- even when the drapes are open, there is an implied privacy. I think this mother missed an opportunity to teach the child to avert their gaze and afford the man the privacy he obviously thought he was enjoying. Sheesh.

The seriousness here, imo, is that this man could be labeled a SO for life if these charges stick. That would make a mockery of that status-- ridiculous and unfounded charges are apt to degrade the value the system as a whole.

I was taught, as a child, never to look into someones window while walking down the street-- even when the drapes are open, there is an implied privacy. QUOTE]

Not strictly on topic, just a side note:
The people of the Netherlands are noted for their opened curtains. They are not only house-proud, they believe that they have nothing to hide. No, they are not standing there in the nude inviting glances (except for the ladies of the Red Light District in Amsterdam), they are just perfectly willing to cook, dine, watch tv, etc, knowing that anyone can see them.
I was once renting a flat in Amsterdam, sitting by the window watching the boats go by. My neighbor across the canal was preparing dinner, actually a dinner party. First I saw her arriving home with her groceries, then she was swooping about her stylish kitchen, then greeting her guests, drinking wine, dining, and then saying good-bye. Now, I wasn't staring at her for 4 hours non-stop! But her windows were undraped, her lights were on, and so were mine, so when I gazed out across the canal in the mid-summer evening, I could see her, and she could see me. We were both fully dressed, but I wasn't doing anything remotely interesting.

It looks to me like the view is obstructed. Regardless, if I accidentally saw someone naked in their own home, I'd feel as if I'd intruded on their privacy. She should have just turned away and picked a new shortcut.

It sounds to me like the only reason he was arrested is because a cop's wife made the complaint. It's ridiculous to arrest people who like to go au naturel in their own home. And I really don't see how they are going to prove that he knew someone was there.

Exactly. If one can not be naked in one's own home, where can one be naked? If police gonna start arresting people for being naked in their own homes, the jails will be full.
The man was in his own home, alone, making coffee. If he were a woman, and a man complained her saw the naked woman in her own home, through her window, who would police end up arresting, I wonder.

I had an aunt who liked "canine pepper" on her food.

And I had a doggie named "Cayenne."

Just got to this thread this morning, and I have to catch up, but I had to comment on your aunt's pepper! Too cute....

Ok, caught up. The time discrepancy bothers me. If it was 8:30 in the morning, then it makes sense that Momma was walking her child to school.....and it would mean this guy lied about it being dark out, before daylight. If he lied, then that shows intent to hide something, to me. Not impressed by his substance abuse, either, although I can remember losing a job when I was young and getting stinking drunk to cope with it. (IOW: if he's just having a short term reaction to his life falling apart, that's understandable. I would worry much more if we learn that he is a long time substance abuser who can't tell the difference between daylight and dark.)

I am also in total agreement with the posters who suggested we reverse the gender of the people involved, and then guess which would have been arrested. A man looking in on a naked woman would automatically be arrested. Gender discrimination is alive and well in USA, my friends.

IMO, the so-called time discrepancy reinforces the point that he didn't know anyone saw him. He is unable to pinpoint the time of the supposed "offense" because he was, apparently, oblivious to the woman peeking in his window.

IMO, the so-called time discrepancy reinforces the point that he didn't know anyone saw him. He is unable to pinpoint the time of the supposed "offense" because he was, apparently, oblivious to the woman peeking in his window.

He did not know anyone saw him until police showed up at his door, according to the initial article about the incident. He probably can't pinpoint the exact time---if he'd lost his job, he may not have set his alarm clock. But he knows the difference between dark and light! He stated in the first article that he came downstairs naked to make coffee and didn't think anyone would see him because #1. It was dark out, and #2. His roommates weren't home. Also the woman saw him making coffee.....he'd know if he made the coffee while it was dark or while the sun was shining, wouldn't he?

If he is telling the truth, then it was dark out when he made coffee, and he didn't see anyone passing through his yard. If he is telling the truth, then the cop's wife is lying. Her statement includes the fact that she walked down the path to walk her son to school. That does seem to support a later time. Although I don't know what time elementary school begins in that area, I doubt it is before six AM.

I really don't know what to say.
She doesn't have to look in his window. If she can't resist the temptation, she could walk on the other side of the street. So much for a man's home being his castle.

He did not know anyone saw him until police showed up at his door, according to the initial article about the incident. He probably can't pinpoint the exact time---if he'd lost his job, he may not have set his alarm clock. But he knows the difference between dark and light! He stated in the first article that he came downstairs naked to make coffee and didn't think anyone would see him because #1. It was dark out, and #2. His roommates weren't home. Also the woman saw him making coffee.....he'd know if he made the coffee while it was dark or while the sun was shining, wouldn't he?

If he is telling the truth, then it was dark out when he made coffee, and he didn't see anyone passing through his yard. If he is telling the truth, then the cop's wife is lying. Her statement includes the fact that she walked down the path to walk her son to school. That does seem to support a later time. Although I don't know what time elementary school begins in that area, I doubt it is before six AM.

Maybe he is a regular person who doesn't keep track of the exact times he does things. Do you keep a time sheet of the exact times you made coffee? And if it wasn't dark outside, it'd be harder to see someone through the window, don't you think?

And I wonder when we will hear about the "victim" seeking a cash settlement for her "mental anguish" and therapy for the young boy.. Only in America I tell ya.. You can display it on billboard ads, but don't get caught naked in your own home..

That's the shame here. If he had been inside posting himself live on a webcam for the entire planet to see, nobody would care, but in his home at 5:30 am it's a major case.

It was a boy, and if she has a son, it's obviously equipment she's seen before. He has too. Why teach the kid that he's been traumatized by something that may not have even been noticed if she hadn't made a fuss?

I think it makes children more prone to predators if they are taught that bodies are something dirty that can't be seen or ever talked about, particularly if predators tell them they've done something bad and not to tell anyone. Sure, he should not have seen this happen, but his world hasn't ended. Being seen was embarrassing enough for both parties.

By the way, according to this article, she might have been in his front yard when she saw him.
'Channel 5 reports the woman and 7-year-old boy who saw him naked apparently had cut through Williamson's front yard from a nearby path.'
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1790464

So what this boils down to is that his curtains should have been drawn? Well tsk tsk, then why don't they warn him and then move on? This is utterly ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer money.

I don't understand the anaology that we wouldn't let our kids walk around naked in the house for their protection, so this man should not be naked in his own home for...his protection? Maybe he doesn't have a family and isn't living in fear and just happened to wander out at O'Dark Thirty in the morning to make some coffee and forgot his drapes were open.

My gosh, at 5:30 in the morning I would be in a giant head fog, and I've walked around naked in the house and figured, "if they havent' seen it by now they never will" cuz sometimes I'm just be too lazy to put a robe on to dart from one room to another.

Here's a thought - THEY SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING IN MY WINDOW. TURN AWAY. SHOW SOME DECENCY YOURSELF LADY.

It's different if someone stands in front of the window trying to be seen, we can all recognize the difference in intent here. Stumbling to the kitchen at 5:30 in the morning to make coffee isn't intending to be seen or displaying oneself illegally.

A dog knows the difference between intent whether you are kicking him in anger or tripping over him. Surely we can tell the difference.

Yes....for his protection. In this case, so that he doesn't end up having charges against him for indecent exposure.
And I do believe a warning to keep his curtains closed in the future would suffice, and then if he repeated the mistake, you could start to wonder about his intent.
I get that people have brain fog in the morning which is why it's a good idea to close up blinds/curtains before going to bed.
In your case, I hope that there's no creeps walking around your neighborhood waiting for a glimpse. Please be careful.
JMO

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being naked in your own home.

But it is illegal to be naked in public. When curtains are open you are in full view of the public.
It wouldn't be ok for someone to step outside their front door naked, so why is it ok to stand in front of a un-curtained window in the same state? What is the difference? The public can still see your nakedness.

Seriously...it's not like it takes a whole lot of effort to close curtains. Why should the public have to divert their gaze because a resident is too lazy to draw their curtains before stripping off?

My sister constantly complains that she has creeps looking into her bathroom window as they pass through taking a short-cut to the mall. It seems that word has spread in the town that a young woman showers in full view of the public, because more guys keep looking in. But she won't go out to buy curtains so that it is no longer an issue.
I fear for her safety, and have told her as much, but since she hasn't made the effort to buy curtains, I have to wonder if she likes the attention.

So this is all about self -responsibility, and self-protection....regardless of gender.
JMO

I really don't know what to say.
She doesn't have to look in his window. If she can't resist the temptation, she could walk on the other side of the street. So much for a man's home being his castle.

I really, really want to give this man the benefit of the doubt. I KNOW that if the genders were reversed, the man who peeped in on a naked woman would have been arrested, and not the other way around. That lack of equal treatment is not fair, and completely inexcusable in my opinion.

However, there is a noticeable difference between pre-dawn and 8:30 in the morning. If this happened at 5:30 AM, then of course this man had every expectation of having privacy in his home. If it happened when it was light out, then that expectation of privacy is gone. I am also very, very concerned that his home is located across the street from a bus stop, and on a pathway commonly used by kids to get to the bus stop. I'm not ready to declare this guy "guilty" but I am very concerned about the time discrepancy and completely concerned that his front door/window faced an elementary school bus stop.

Maybe he is a regular person who doesn't keep track of the exact times he does things. Do you keep a time sheet of the exact times you made coffee? And if it wasn't dark outside, it'd be harder to see someone through the window, don't you think?

Well, Jenny, since you ask! Yes, I do know what time I make coffee every morning. I have a job and must clock in by 7:56 every morning.....my alarm goes off at 5 AM and I make a potty visit and then head straight to the kitchen to make my coffee! I only work five days a week, but I guess I am a creature of habit, because I get up at 5 AM whether I have to or not!

I can see that this man may not have been aware of the exact time, since he had recently lost his job. But with his curtains wide open, there is just no way he couldn't be SURE if it was dark or light out.

By the way, according to this article, she might have been in his front yard when she saw him.
'Channel 5 reports the woman and 7-year-old boy who saw him naked apparently had cut through Williamson's front yard from a nearby path.'
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1790464

As I've said, if genders were reversed, the "peeper" would have been the one arrested. She had no business cutting through his front yard. As the article mentions, she states she first saw him through his car port door, then proceeded to go across his front lawn, seeing him again through his front windows. I really can't believe she chose to walk across the front yard after she'd spotted a naked man through the carport door! I think she is maybe a nut case! If I was walking my child to school, and I saw someone through the side door of their home, I just don't think I'd lead my kid across the front yard for a better view.

My concerns are that IF her time line is truthful (and it seems to make sense that a child would be headed to school at 8:40 instead of 5:30 AM!) then it was light out. His curtains were open: he could see daylight. There is a bus stop right across from his front window. I think his right to privacy would end when the sun came up and children populated the bus-stop. At that point, a reasonable adult would know to cover their body so as not to "flash" the kiddos gathered at the bus stop.

The article also mentions that police have had other people come forward since the initial complaint. I want to know the "rest of the story."

Well I couldn't tell you the exact time I make coffee or tea. I don't keep track or a time sheet. By the way it is much easier to see into someone's window if it's dark outside, and they have a light on, than if it's light outside. Because of sun's glare, I don't think someone would get a good view if it was light outside.

The linked article says the police are asking if anyone else saw him walking around his house naked. I haven't seen any reports that they received other complaints.

He could very well have made coffee at 5:30 AM and 8:30 AM. All the time confusion proves is that he didn't know when he was observed. Also, I haven't read that the woman saw him making coffee. I've read that she saw him through a side door and then through the front window. I agree with the other comments who don't understand why she proceeded to cut across his front yard AND kept looking into his house after seeing him the first time. IMO, she sounds like she doesn't have a very good sense of boundaries because she clearly crossed them, repeatedly.

Well I couldn't tell you the exact time I make coffee or tea. I don't keep track or a time sheet. By the way it is much easier to see into someone's window if it's dark outside, and they have a light on, than if it's light outside.

Excellent point. If it were light outside then the woman would have needed to practically press her face against the window to get a good look at him. That's probably why he assumed she peeped him earlier in the morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back