VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this really good article by one of the youtube lawyers. She makes some great points, including a mention of the horrific and tragic Emmett Till case from the 1950s.

Wow, excellent article, thanks!

@BrownRudnickLLP

We are pleased to announce that Camille Vasquez has been elevated to partner. She was a key member of the litigation team that won a jury verdict last week for actor #JohnnyDepp in his defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard. Full announcement here: https://bit.ly/3tkNuzI

Congratulations to Ms Vasquez!!!
You were even faster than me, lol!!

and not a moment too soon… I was beginning to worry they had a hiring and promotional freeze, haha.

Defendants who allege misconduct based on juror inattentiveness must show that:

• the juror did in fact sleep or otherwise not pay attention during the trial, and
  • the juror missed important information that made it impossible to render a fair, informed, and impartial verdict.
Defendants should present evidence that a juror is sleeping or inattentive as soon as possible. Courts usually won't grant a motion for a mistrial or new trial if the defense knew that a juror was sleeping or inattentive but didn't bring it up until the end of trial.

While sleeping is the most obvious impediment to paying attention, problems also occur when jurors only partiallypay attention. For example, courts have found misconduct when jurors were reading, doing crosswords, writing letters, texting, and using social media. In contrast, momentary "dozing" and "head nodding" usually doesn't rise to the level of misconduct.
It would be difficult to prove that a juror was 'sleeping'... some people close their eyes while 'listening'.. also, the article noted it would be difficult to prove if not noted immediately by the 'defendant', as opposed to after the trial. Unless they were literally snoring, or they jerked out of their sleep to an awakened state and caused a scene in doing so, or some crazy thing, they should be good! imo. But good article, good info to know!

On December 21, 2021, Respondents’ counsel sent Mr. Depp’s counsel a letter requesting reimbursement for the $85,156.59 in fees and $1096.67 in costs now requested in Respondents’ Motion. Id. at ¶ 6; NYSCEF No. 99 at 5. The $85,156.59 of fees requested by Respondents consist of: (a) 38.7 hours billed by a “senior associate” at $799.50/hour (for a total of $30,940.65); (b) 78.60 hours billed by a “junior associate” at $500.20/hour (for a total of $39,315.72); (c) 17.10 hours billed by a “litigation support manager” at $336.20/hour (for a total of $5,749.02); and (d) 31 hours billed by a “litigation support analyst” at $295.2 (for a total of $9,151.20)

(Gulp! Now I see how attorneys fees reach into the millions.)

Im really surprised that Judy revealed that publicly. No one would have known if she hadn’t said anything. She may get some backlash on it if she is employed there. I don’t recall if she‘s independent or on payroll.
I read somewhere she was hired by Depp & Heard team. She's independent. jmo.

Im really surprised that Judy revealed that publicly. No one would have known if she hadn’t said anything. She may get some backlash on it if she is employed there. I don’t recall if she‘s independent or on payroll.
I feel sure that the judge would have noticed if any of the jurors really fell asleep.

;)It would be difficult to prove that a juror was 'sleeping'... some people close their eyes while 'listening'.. also, the article noted it would be difficult to prove if not noted immediately by the 'defendant', as opposed to after the trial. Unless they were literally snoring, or they jerked out of their sleep to an awakened state and caused a scene in doing so, or some crazy thing, they should be good! imo. But good article, good info to know!
Or fell out of their chair! :p;)

Johnny Depp is thanking his fans after his legal win against Amber Heard.
Alongside a video posted to his newly created TikTok account on Tuesday, the 58-year-old actor wrote, "To all of my most treasured, loyal and unwavering supporters. We've been everywhere together, we have seen everything together. We have walked the same road together. We did the right thing together, all because you cared. And now, we will all move forward together."
"You are, as always, my employers and once again I am whittled down to no way to say thank you, other than just by saying thank you. So, thank you. My love & respect, JD," he concluded his post, which was also shared to his Instagram.

was doing some back reading of posts I missed in the last thread. Posters were discussing AH and how very many people she has bonded with over a shared love of books, authors, music, poetry, art, etc.

She claimed to have not really known much about JD before they "bonded" over authors and poetry. But in interviews promoting Rum Diaries she claimed she was a fan of Johnny's and friends from her teen years claimed in the press her walls were covered in his posters.
Resurfaced Amber Heard interview of her saying she's a fan of Johnny Depp contradicts latest testimony

If I remember rightly IO testified that when he and AH met through a mutual friend they quickly bonded over shared interests in books and art.

all of this makes sense to me. It aligns with what I believe of her personality type. Learn your subject, mirror your subject, so that you appear like someone who gets them in a way no other does, and then let the manipulations begin.

Johnny Depp is thanking his fans after his legal win against Amber Heard.
Alongside a video posted to his newly created TikTok account on Tuesday, the 58-year-old actor wrote, "To all of my most treasured, loyal and unwavering supporters. We've been everywhere together, we have seen everything together. We have walked the same road together. We did the right thing together, all because you cared. And now, we will all move forward together."
"You are, as always, my employers and once again I am whittled down to no way to say thank you, other than just by saying thank you. So, thank you. My love & respect, JD," he concluded his post, which was also shared to his Instagram.

It's amazing what comes from this mans heart .. such a stark contrast to the woman he was married to.

and just like that he is up to 4.2 million followers. That number doubled overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdward01