VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good analysis of the defamation claims in the Hollywood Reporter:

..."the allegedly defamatory statements in Heard’s Washington Post column are: 1. “I spoke up against sexual violence—and faced our culture’s wrath.”; 2. “Then two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out.”; 3. “I had the rare vantage point of seeing, in real time, how institutions protect men accused of abuse.”

Judge Penney S. Azcarate... ruled that the statements were enough to imply to readers that Depp abused Heard in light of the couple’s highly publicized divorce....

But the vagueness of the disputed statements, which don’t specify how or when she was abused, may make it difficult for Depp to vindicate himself.

“If I’m on the jury, all she’s implying is that at some point in the past, there was some form of physical or maybe emotional abuse by him to her,” Berlik says. “She doesn’t really get into it or say exactly what happened. If that’s the case, then all she really needs is any evidence that, at some point in the past, he hit her, pushed her, or screamed in her face or did something that can be regarded as abusive. I think Depp will have a tough time.”

Thanks for link. It's a good read and I think it gets right to the 'fragility' of the claims by Depp that are at the heart of this defamation trial.

It was a therapy tool, as per his suggestion.

After watching her testimony, you can probably see why, lol.

I’m sure she drove him nuts constantly telling him that she did not in fact say what his ears and brain tell him that she in fact literally said 5 seconds earlier.

By his opening testimony, he always told her when he was recording; she would record in secret and not tell him.
classic gaslighting

I wonder if there's a chance that AH would tell him after a drink/drug binge that he'd hit her and he perhaps believed it, because why would she lie? That could possibly be where 'the monster' starts to appear in their life. She'd tell him he'd hit her, he doesn't remember and starts to think there's something inside of him that he's just not aware of. It could also explain why he started to record stuff as her lies about being hit would start becoming more elaborate and he just couldn't believe he was capable of it.
She definitely played him.
She talked him out of a prenup!
I actually think her raging upped a million notches when someone talked JD into approaching AH about a postnup.
MOO

Sky News

'I am sorry I hurt you': Court shown diary entries from Heard

Johnny Depp's lawyer Camille Vasquez now moves onto a diary Heard kept with Depp in which they would write messages to each other.

The court is shown a diary entry Heard made in May 2015 -months after the alleged attack in Australia in March that year.

The entry reads: "True love isn't about just the madness of passion or instead picking the safety of peace. No, it's about having both.

"Falling madly in love with your friend. That is what has surprised me perhaps the most. That I have seen in you the true bones of friendship and respect. But of course I still perhaps more than ever want to rip you apart, devour you and savour the taste."

The lawyer then draws Heard's attention to her last diary entry to Depp in the journal, which appears to be written in April 2016.

The note reads: "I am sorry I can get crazy, I am sorry I hurt you. Like you I can get wicked when I am hurt, when I feel provoked, shattered."

Heard says the book consisted of "love notes" primarily but Ms Vasquez says: "It was also an opportunity to apologise to Mr Depp for your behaviour, isn't it?"

View attachment 344542
View attachment 344543
"Falling madly in love with your friend. That is what has surprised me perhaps the most. That I have seen in you the true bones of friendship and respect.

BUT of course I still perhaps more than ever want to rip you apart, devour you and savour the taste
."

This is disturbing. The word "but" is used to introduce a phrase or clause "contrasting" with what has already been mentioned.

I believe there is truth in her phrases. She love him YET wants to rip him apart. Our words don't come out of that vacuum.

" I still perhaps more than ever want to rip you apart, devour you and savour the taste."

Wonder what Johnny was thinking when he read this.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm old-fashioned, but if my lover would write this to me, I would think "MAJOR RED FLAG".

He says no.

That he always told her he was so doing, whereas she often (mostly/all? He wasn’t specific) didn’t tell him.

In fact, in the video she uploaded of him slamming cabinets, it’s pretty obvious he didn’t know because once he figures it out, he lunges directly for the phone.
And this incident is after he heard his mother had died.

I saw some body language expert theorize that it, and the frequent skewing of her mouth to one side, represents a tic gesture which was declared/proclaimed ‘so cute’ in her as a child; and as a result it’s her fallback.

YMMV
I appreciate your explanation since I have not followed the case until recently. Your posts are very informative and helpful. Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell