VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
A women's abuse organization recently voiced its support for Johnny Depp amid the high-profile defamation trial between the actor and ex-wife Amber Heard

MISSION NGO, a nonprofit international organization supporting women and children from physical, sexual, and psychological abuse, released a statement in support of Depp, and people on social media have applauded the organization for recognizing men as domestic abuse victims.

THIS HERE IS ONE (of many) TRUMP CARDS.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS HOPING/PRAYING FOR.
We have to be careful in what we hope for though. She could be a terrible witness and could end up giving ammunition to AH's side. I hope not, but is there a reason she wasn't called as a witness for Depp in the first place or was she always going to be kept for rebuttal?

We have to be careful in what we hope for though. She could be a terrible witness and could end up giving ammunition to AH's side. I hope not, but is there a reason she wasn't called as a witness for Depp in the first place or was she always going to be kept for rebuttal?
I think she was always kept for rebuttal because it is much more damaging to AH if her sister lies on the stand first.

Wow I am find that comment and quote above about Vasquez asking if JD and AH had to be in court for verdict? I assume they are anxious to get out of VA...they have no ties there. They will leave on Friday after closing. But that will certainly make verdict reading very anti climatic. I can sort of see this happening. JD will have a live stream anticipating a win and great PR. Amber will not.

Wow I am find that comment and quote above about Vasquez asking if JD and AH had to be in court for verdict? I assume they are anxious to get out of VA...they have no ties there. They will leave on Friday after closing. But that will certainly make verdict reading very anti climatic. I can sort of see this happening. JD will have a live stream anticipating a win and great PR. Amber will not.
I think the final verdict could be very triggering for both of them and possibly very sad and shocking. It is probably the best thing for their mental health if they can watch the proceedings from a safe space.

I think the final verdict could be very triggering for both of them and possibly very sad and shocking. It is probably the best thing for their mental health if they can watch the proceedings from a safe space.
WEll that could be said for almost every verdict in a major trial...given this is not about murder etc. few verdicts don't involve sadness and shock. I guess it is a civil thing? If I were a juror I would expect the primary players involved to be in the court to hear my verdict. I guess Vasquez asked but that does not mean they won't be there. probably both headed back to LAX or wherever they are living and verdict could take days.

WEll that could be said for almost every verdict in a major trial...given this is not about murder etc. few verdicts don't involve sadness and shock. I guess it is a civil thing? If I were a juror I would expect the primary players involved to be in the court to hear my verdict. I guess Vasquez asked but that does not mean they won't be there. probably both headed back to LAX or wherever they are living and verdict could take days.
True, every verdict is potentially upsetting. But neither of them are charged criminally so they will not be taken into custody so no need to be present during the verdict.

I think JD will be very fragile if he loses the case and is ordered to pay AH 100 million bucks...o_O

True, every verdict is potentially upsetting. But neither of them are charged criminally so they will not be taken into custody so no need to be present during the verdict.

I think JD will be very fragile if he loses the case and is ordered to pay AH 100 million bucks...o_O
What if the jury is not unanimous? Does that mean they both lose the case? No millions are involved?

If the verdict is not unanimous, JD still wins though, imo. The publicity has obviously been so damaging to AH, and helpful to JD in restoring his reputation.

eta...I cannot forsee the chance it's unanimous for AH. at all...

Also, who knows how long it'll take for the jury to come up with a verdict. If it takes several days, why should they stay there? They don't live in VA and if one loses I don't know that they would be ok with the paparazzi going wild - trying to take pics of them in airports etc.. MOO

To have a witness for the case in chief, they have to be able to speak to the fact of the matter or be a character witness. Technically all of Jennifer Howell's testimony is not first hand in terms of JD and AH's relationship. She can only testify about what Whitney said or did in her presence in relation to JD/AH. That would be hearsay. There would be no foundation for her to testify.

However, you might have noticed that during the cross examination of Whitney, they introduced a foundation. That Whitney went to live with her boss straight after the stairs incident. That they were close friends and that Whitney would sometimes confide in her.

Now they can introduce JH as a rebuttal witness. An exception to hearsay is permittable when it is used to point out inconsistencies of testimony, to impeach a witness. That is how they plan to use JH.

Essentially they kept their powder dry, not using up valuable allotted time in the cross. Especially since it also means they can avoid a redirect there. Instead they will poke a massive hole in WH during rebuttal.

This is a sound strategy because you want to save some of the strongest counter-arguments closest to the end, to be fresher in the jurors minds.

WH is one of the only people (in fact, she may be the only person beside AH) who have testified to have actually witnessed JD being physical with AH. Her testimony will be dealt a blow during a phase where it's harder for AH's counsel to fight back.

edited to add: I am not talking about expert witnesses (like Curry or Hughes) which have a different function in court, JH would not qualify for that kind of designation.

While my opinion of AH is pretty low, I don't think she's dumb enough to do coke or ingest anything illegal while sitting in court. I think folks are just assuming the worst because... well, she just comes across as that kind of person. Just sketchy.

jmo
I think the person as per iO, who doesn’t even want anyone to know she is capable of something so crass as moving her bowels, also wouldn’t want anyone to know she ever has bad breath, lol.

I’d say she also doesn’t want to be caught out eating in public, but then we have to consider her ‘need’ to munch cookies in the middle of her 2016 deposition…
It's equal parts damning and hilarious.

Male jurors who are not familiar with makeup might not realize it, but Amber's make up testimony doesn't make sense. You don't put the foundation on first if you are trying to cover up dark eye bags or bruises.

Also, she not only used the term "bruise kit" twice, she also said theatrical make up kit. The latter kit is also used for creating bruises/injuries or other facial features for performance.
I feel she tossed ‘theatrical make-up’ in there, primarily because she wants to give the impression that she trowels on Pan-Stik or similar, which could account for the flawless complexion if you’re not too close.

this would also dovetail very well with iO literally lying ‘it’s only because I know Amber so so well, that I can tell her features are *really* swollen under her James Corden makeup’, lol.

For some reason, I don’t think it’s JD team who asked for this concession… he’s the one who wanted the cameras in the first place.

IMO, everyone including AH know the chances don’t look good for her, and AH (the person who stormed out after her testimony) wants to be able to control the narrative (possible PR claims; our little Texas belle ‘doesn’t want to see him gloat’, or is afraid, or similar).

Controlling the narrative is tough to do, if people can see negative reactions on your face and there are big cameras to capture it in perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong