VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a judgement of millions is awarded to either party, how is it paid? Immediately? Over time? Are wages garnished if you can't afford the entire settlement? Does declaring bankruptcy wipe out the judgement or does it follow you for life until it's paid? Can you hide some of your net worth in trusts for your children? Just curious how large settlements work.

If either party wins, are they responsible for paying the other party's lawyers? Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry but she testified that she did not seek medical help during or immediately following this supposed incident. If she had the type of injuries that would cause infertility then she would not have been on a plane flying back to LA .. she would have been in the hospital getting the care she needed. If her team decides to take this approach, they are digging a hole even deeper than they already have. These jurors and the public are not stupid .. MOO

and IMO .. the only reason she used a surrogate is because Carly Simon said it best :cool:

I think she used a surrogate due to her use of accutane for her skin but this is MOO

If a judgement of millions is awarded to either party, how is it paid? Immediately? Over time? Are wages garnished if you can't afford the entire settlement? Does declaring bankruptcy wipe out the judgement or does it follow you for life until it's paid? Can you hide some of your net worth in trusts for your children? Just curious how large settlements work.

If either party wins, are they responsible for paying the other party's lawyers? Thanks in advance.
BBM

IMO: Should judgement of $100 million be awarded to our heroine, Mr. Depp will pledge her the amount and she will understand his obligation has been fully executed.

Sounds about right… at the beginning of his testimony he said the sum of his $650 million dollar earnings was embarrassing to admit out loud.

Overall a very modest man, I believe,
Agreed. It was interesting to read about the roles he had turned down in that article. I believed him when he said that being an actor wasn't about fame for him, but that he eventually fell in love with the craft. He was a musician when he met Nicolas Cage who encouraged him to pursue acting. MOO

I think she used a surrogate due to her use of accutane for her skin but this is MOO

Both of my children were on accutane .. it's been quite a few years ago so maybe it's changed .. but at that time, you could only be on it for 7 months and had to go through blood work every month to get the next months supply. Both of my children have went on to have very healthy children of their own. MOO'ing until the cows come home.

Check out the comments, especially the pinned one by WPD.

Even I had to laugh :D.

ETA: It was posted on their FB on 17th May.
The comments are hilarious.

This is just my "opinionated" timeline for part of 2016 (There could be errors)

May 20 2016
JD's mother (removed from life support) passes away
JD tells AH he plans to file for divorce

May 21 2016 (Set-up by AH #1)
JD goes to penthouse he shares with AH to discuss divorce and he plans to gather belongings
(his crew posted outside door)
JD & AH quarrel about the birthday "grumpy"
Murphy is called and whatever he says makes AH angry
T-W is called and remains on phone
RP somehow appears in penthouse (unseen by JD's crew outside PH door)
AH alleges JD hit her with phone
JD says he tossed phone onto couch
RP alleges she is protecting AH
JD (with crew) leaves
T-W calls 911, RP calls 911
Two sets of officers arrive and do not see evidence of DV (none shown on body cam from one set of officers)

May 22 2016
AH has locks changed
Franco spends evening with AH

May 23 2016
AH files for divorce

May 24 2016
AH atty's send JD "blackmail" letter (give me penthouses, vehicle, etc and I won't mention violence)
JD will not agree to be blackmailed

May 26/27 2016
JD leaves for NY and on to Europe with Hollywood Vampires tour

May 27 2016
AH files for TRO (with publicity) (Set-up by AH #2)
Approx 3 wks later - AH complains to JD that she only has 21 days to be out of penthouse - JD tells her to take 2-3+ months to move - just call off "the dogs"
**Somewhere from May 23 to May 27 - AH leaks info to TMZ

July 2016
AH begs him to meet (breaking TRO) and when they do, AH shouts at him, "tell people you're the victim... see who they believe, etc"

August 2016
AH and JD agree on a divorce settlement amount with JD giving AH $7 million

***At some point after this AH tells public she wanted nothing and will donate the $7 million
Just reading again the JD's mother passed on May 20th and AH filed for divorce May 23rd makes me so angry. Couldn't she even give him a few days to grieve? I suppose the death of JD's mother took attention away from her. Such a selfish & cruel thing to do IMO.

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered…. but, Is it known how all these audios that AH took got into the trial? I guess I’m a little surprised she would have kept them at all much less turn them over as evidence, most of which seems, IMO, to reveal her as the aggressor.
Allegedly a therapist suggested recording their arguments. I don't remember exactly when this was brought up in the trial but if I find it I'll post it. MOO

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered…. but, Is it known how all these audios that AH took got into the trial? I guess I’m a little surprised she would have kept them at all much less turn them over as evidence, most of which seems, IMO, to reveal her as the aggressor.
It is my impression that those which are negative to her were taken and uploaded by Johnny.

His in general are vastly longer and not edited. Most of Heard’s are minute snippets.

IMO neither of them will be asked to pay the judgment.

Traditionally people almost never are; which is why the sums are set so high.

That, plus everyone knows she can’t gather 50 million, and he would be hard pressed to get double.

Agreed. It was interesting to read about the roles he had turned down in that article. I believed him when he said that being an actor wasn't about fame for him, but that he eventually fell in love with the craft. He was a musician when he met Nicolas Cage who encouraged him to pursue acting. MOO
I have to admit, I’ve always wondered if some talent agency, hearing this in the 90s, ever tried to convince Nicolas Cage to join their ranks, lol.

Thank you for asking this. I would think a fair judgement would be 7 million 1 dollar for Johnny and 1 dollar for AH. She did violate her divorce NDA after all.

I forgot to add that it would then be a noble gesture by Johnny to donate that money to the charities it was pledged to.
Thanks for your response but the question I asked was who decides the outcome in a US defamation trial. Is it the jury or the judge?

ie. if the jury in this case finds in favour of X, can it then decide what, if any, reparation is appropriate, or is this only something that the judge, once the jury verdict is in, can decide?

I'm looking for input from the US legal eagles on here so I can understand how things work.

Last edited:

Interesting comment by Debunking Amber. Comment #16

Oh boy.

Was this brought up in court? It should be.

What her father threatened to do with the whiskey bottle.. is practically what ms H is accusing her ex hubby of!

She obviously did not have the best role model for a dad growing up. So it’s not a huge surprise she turned out the way she did. It’s all really sad.

"The Mail on Sunday quotes a source close to the actor as saying that he is contemplating extending the relationship with his sponsor."

"In fact, sales are up and Dior has no plans to quit. Many fans are going out to buy the new cologne to show their support."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie