VA VA - Julia Christine Devlin, 55, Shenandoah National Park, Charlottesville, 14 Jul 2021

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by galillian, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:09 PM.

1. galillian

galillian Active Member

2. galillian

galillian Active Member

3. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

The article above in the post above by @galillian (thanks for this thread) says her car was found wrecked. That's scary. Is she wandering around hurt? Did she get a blow to the head and is lost and in medical distress? All sorts of bad things come into my suspicious (because we see this type of thing here in WS) mind. This sounds like it could be dire. Did she have some time of emergency which caused her to lose control of the car? Did some "good" Samaritan pick her up and cause harm to her?

We'll wait and see. Hoping for good news, and following this thread

4. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

A representative of the Shenandoah Park Service would not specify where exactly the car was found as it is part of the investigation.. She also would not answer if foul play is involved.

That's a bit scary. Maybe they suspect self harm?

5. Unsolved

Unsolved Well-Known Member

Pointing to comments by AHW and BD

6. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

sassyblue, sallye818 and Flicka1 like this.
  7. Normancita

Normancita Well-Known Member

Oh wow!!!!
    Now I’m even more concerned!

8. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Well-Known Member

Well, if that turns out to be true, I can't wait to discuss why it isn't part of the missing persons release. o_O

Krimoney, sallye818, Flicka1 and 3 others like this.
  9. SarahW

SarahW Well-Known Member

Potential for foul play and plain accident are both high. There is a lot of crime in Charlottesville, where she was last seen on the 14th. Sometimes troubled students are a danger. It’s also plain old vacation time and a lovely drive. She’s at an age where an unexpected medical situation could lead to disaster on that road. I had no health issues but almost ran into a family of bears last summer on that drive, (they ran right into the road) and there are deer and other wildlife, not to mention road-ragers to contend with on occasion. Although I imagine one of these more commonplace scenarios is the situation, and I hope she’s found unharmed, I hope you won’t be outraged if I mention a remote possibility not usually a factor in missing person cases...of international intrigue. The World Bank and Brookings Institution think tank she was associated with before her present lecturing career add a potential espionage angle. I think that’s not likely but it actually was the first thing I thought of when I saw her resume.

10. galillian

galillian Active Member

sripey, j_in_c, sassyblue and 6 others like this.
  11. SarahW

SarahW Well-Known Member

Charlottesville is beautiful,and has a lot to offer and I don’t mean to slight it...but there is danger like there is in Richmond, from garden variety street crime.

Flicka1 and Razz like this.
  12. Quiet Time

Quiet Time Well-Known Member

13. SarahW

SarahW Well-Known Member

It sounds like they had reason to believe she was ejected from the vehicle, to me, but they haven't found trace of her in the most likely spots.

14. Occam's Zebra

Occam's Zebra Well-Known Member

Seriously? "Sometimes troubled students are a danger"?

Charlottesville doesn't have significantly more crime than the average US city of its size. It's also summer, so college proper is not in session.

Given the details on FB, the most likely scenario is an accident. There's enough bad stuff going on in the world without presupposing even more with no sources or evidence.

sripey, PhoebeTries, j_in_c and 7 others like this.
  15. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

Wasn't the car found down an embankment, like a cliff?

Flicka1 likes this.
  16. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Well-Known Member

@moonriverfarm - That has not been confirmed by LE or MSM - only FB comments.

sallye818 likes this.
  17. SarahW

SarahW Well-Known Member

You seem touchy about the crime problem, but there is one. A car jack or abduction is indeed a lot less likely than a plain old run-off the road accident but it's possible. Your beef seems to be with speculation and borrowing trouble when a car accident is more likely, and consider the missing person posters just due diligence dspite the greater chance she is just not discovered yet, near the wreck. My point of view is just that there seems to be some mystery about the sequence of events and her activities..and that authorities actually aren't sure if she went down the embankment with the car. Public statements are that the last time she was seen was in town on the 14th.

mspepper and NervousNellie like this.
  18. SarahW

SarahW Well-Known Member

University of Virginia lecturer Julia Devlin missing, car found wrecked

The New York Post updates, with a link to an official park facebook page, with information that clarifies that a security cam captured her entering the park in her Lexus on the 14th (July 2021.). They are continuing to search an expanded area in the vicinity of the wrecked Lexus.

19. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they saw "HER" or her car? Very sad situation none the less. IMO

LetsSolvIt and PommyMommy like this.
  20. Curious_in_NC

Curious_in_NC Well-Known Member

Sounds like both:
    "was last seen on security footage in her white Lexus sedan entering Shenandoah National Park in Charlottesville on July 14, park officials said."
    ETA this quote is from the NY Post article cited earlier, not the FB link. BBM