VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This recent photo looks nothing like the photos originally shown.

She could have easily walked by a person looking for her and not been recognized, IMO.

With all identification having been found in her luggage, it makes me question if she walked away. If harm had come her way, why would the perp put her piercing jewelry in her luggage? Would it not be easier to just toss such small items?
If her pearcings/jewelry were in her suit case, I feel more towards her planning on getting on that flight. She might have taken them out/off knowing it might set off the airport xray thing you walk thru at security..?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I think what's throwing me off is the missing clothing. If someone harmed her, why would they take her clothing? Her phone was likely on her person, so I'm not surprised to see it missing.

I do find it unlikely she left on her own, but I'd be curious to know whether the cash that was found was all of the cash she had or whether it was just some change left behind. Leaving behind a $5 cell phone charger isn't surprising. If she had someone picking her up, they would likely have one she could use temporarily. Or she may have had an extra.

I mean if she really wanted to disappear, she could have easily changed her appearance quickly in the parking lot away from the cameras. Changing clothes, throwing on a hat or a wig. It doesn't sound like that happened, but I guess it can't be ruled out either.

Changing clothes, throwing on a hat or a wig. It doesn't sound like that happened, but I guess it can't be ruled out either.
Leaving out her piercing jewelry would make her less noticeable to others.

If her pearcings/jewelry were in her suit case, I feel more towards her planning on getting on that flight. She might have taken them out/off knowing it might set off the airport xray thing you walk thru at security..?

I believe Amber verified that her jewelry was not found in the luggage. .cell charger, her wallet and a few clothes

I think what's throwing me off is the missing clothing. If someone harmed her, why would they take her clothing? Her phone was likely on her person, so I'm not surprised to see it missing.

I do find it unlikely she left on her own, but I'd be curious to know whether the cash that was found was all of the cash she had or whether it was just some change left behind. Leaving behind a $5 cell phone charger isn't surprising. If she had someone picking her up, they would likely have one she could use temporarily. Or she may have had an extra.

I mean if she really wanted to disappear, she could have easily changed her appearance quickly in the parking lot away from the cameras. Changing clothes, throwing on a hat or a wig. It doesn't sound like that happened, but I guess it can't be ruled out either.

IMO someone took some of her clothes out to make it appear as if she was faking her disappearance or to try to make it seem like someone took her and/or they kept them for her to use wherever they have her hidden away at. They screwed up by leaving her wallet though. I don't think she would voluntarily disappear. ..but that's JMO

I believe Amber verified that her jewelry was not found in the luggage. .cell charger, her wallet and a few clothes

But as a reminder keep in mind as Bessie said no one verified has posted in here so we can't say for sure that is 100% fact..

They need to get verified

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if for some reason someone saw the luggage and put it in the back of a truck or something and it flew out, by accident? Is this a possibility? Or are we solely going off the idea it had to be dumped?

I will reiterate what I said earlier in response to that.

Firstly, it's not necessary to remove most body jewelry; it shouldn't set off the alarms. https://www.travelite.org/2009/07/heavy-metal-airport-security-and-body-piercing-jewelry/

Secondly, and more importantly, body piercings are notorious for being fickle. Some people can take their jewelry out for months at a time and have no problem putting it back in, but others will find their bodies have sealed the piercings after less than an hour. If the piercings were done within the last few months, they'll certainly tighten and invite infection if they're left open. Someone with multiple piercings like Katelin definitely knows this, and would likely just switch out her metal jewelry with clear plastic 'filler' pieces if she thought the airport security would be an issue. I know I would never risk taking my own body jewelry out to do anything but change it unless the TSA demanded it - and even then only for the 60 seconds of getting through security!

tl;dr I don't think the body jewelry was removed as a precaution against setting off metal detectors unless she's known to switch hers out for plastics/clear glass regularly

Did they say all of her clothing was missing or some clothing was missing? Maybe something happened while she was changing for her flight home.

Maybe but I don't think so, if she went willingly she would have taken the phone charger and cash. I don't think she'd dump the stuff so close to home on the street. I'd choose a dumpster not leave it on the street. A lot of people at 19 pick a life partner, it doesn't scare everyone.

That's just it though, why dump the suitcase, especially with cash and credit card. Isn't that right? I need to go back and read again I guess, but that's what I remember. Very odd, and doesn't look good, IMO. :(

I'm wondering if for some reason someone saw the luggage and put it in the back of a truck or something and it flew out, by accident? Is this a possibility? Or are we solely going off the idea it had to be dumped?

I don't think so, the odds would be too great the suitcase fell out of the vehicle, her plans changed, she didn't make the airport, a fake communication(?), then no communication, no access to money that we know of. It just doesn't add up IMO & this is what the police said:

"Akens’ luggage was later found on Monday in a drainage ditch on River Road near the Fredericksburg city limit in Spotsylvania County."

"The circumstances surrounding this case are suspicious enough to warrant our full investigative efforts, in attempting to locate Miss Akens,” said Sheriff Roger L. Harris.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/56293973-story

I will reiterate what I said earlier in response to that.

Cosign! I've gone through many a metal detector AND those creepy full-body scanners without my body jewelry, some of which is not visible to passerby, setting them off. Thus, I suspect the likelihood of KA removing any piercings for the express purpose of NOT setting off airport security equipment is exceedingly low (especially because most folks getting piercings/adornments are frequently reassured that the materials used in the majority of modern body jewelry aren't going to pose an issue with metal detectors).

This could be true. I have learned to put my rings on only (2) as the alarm always goes off. It still goes off but I refuse to put the rings in my purse as it is too far away for my comfort. My imagination has too many things going on in it from what I've seen on television.

Did they say if there were any credit card purchases from the mall? I know they didn't confirm that she was ever there but if the stepdad was ruled out maybe they did it that way.

Did they say if there were any credit card purchases from the mall? I know they didn't confirm that she was ever there but if the stepdad was ruled out maybe they did it that way.

They haven't said anything about purchases on her card. However, LE did say that they can confirm her stepfather's car was in the area of Springfield Town Center that day even though neither of them appeared on surveillance cameras (none present in location that stepdad says he dropped her at).

I thought it was odd choice of words to say they can confirm his CAR was there. I could see them saying they can confirm he was there due to a receipt or phone call tracing...but what, other than video, could prove his car was there?

Maybe but I don't think so, if she went willingly she would have taken the phone charger and cash. I don't think she'd dump the stuff so close to home on the street. I'd choose a dumpster not leave it on the street. A lot of people at 19 pick a life partner, it doesn't scare everyone.

But didn't she just have one of those prepaid phones? I guess she could just pick up another one later if she needed one -- that is if she did decide to leave on her own.

moo

This is so confusing. It's extremely difficult for me to believe (at this point) that she left on her own. I'm probably 5% on that theory. However, the missing clothing in her ditched bag gives me slight pause.

I, like many others, am shocked at the silence of LE. To me, this indicates that they're quite sure what happened and are building a case. If so, I'd guess SD, first. I can even imagine an accident involving him. I'm less inclined to believe a total stranger abducted her. So after SD, I would guess another individual close to her.

There's also the possibility that they know nothing. If that's the case, though, I'd expect to hear SOMETHING! I'm also curious how the investigation is being handled, starting with the dated/inaccurate information and photos on the missing flyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts