VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by 0101ABA, Sep 2, 2016.

1. drjones

drjones Former Member

all i can figure is that they thought by staying on friendly terms they would be able to develop a case, or that someone's conscience would show up... then nothing panned out and they were stuck with very little evidence.

even right now i would like to see them name someone as a POI or suspect and pursue search warrants etc, but as i posted earlier - i dont know that they have enough for a warrant, i would imagine if they could have they already would have eh? it certainly doesnt seem that they could have enough to file any sort of charge (from the limited amount of info we have).

we also dont know how many times they have interviewed people and what pressure they may have tried to put on them, maybe its none at all, maybe its a lot... we just dont know. that is why im holding off criticizing anyone and just venting my frustration in general ways.

2. drjones

drjones Former Member

btw if the ID show Disappeared returns in the spring (i have not seen it confirmed) they are planning to do an episode/segment(?) on Katelin.

edit - the reason i put segment(?) is because there is so little information i dont know how they would fill an hour episode, and i dont know if they have ever done a show in segments of multiple stories

3. monkeypants

monkeypants Do or do not there is no try.

How did this person get into her phone? Do we know it was thumb print or was it password?

4. drjones

drjones Former Member

we dont know. but thumb print well... ugh.

do most people have security enabled on their phone at all times? i have never had a smart phone, it is possible there was no lock right?

5. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible there was no lock or password on the phone. My husband and I do not have anything on ours.

6. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

Is WS SSLLLOOOOWWWW for anyone else?

7. monkeypants

Definitely possible, but highly unusual for someone her age IMO.

8. sfbaynancydrew

sfbaynancydrew Well-Known Member

I have been a Websleuths member for years and I don't recall a single missing persons case where such an OBVIOUS prime suspect was treated so gingerly by LE. Why the kid gloves? Why the shielding him and his identity from any media? Why go dark on the entire case? None of this is passing the smell test. Sorry to the mods if they have to delete this, but it's ticked me off for a long time.

9. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR Well-Known Member

Yep...this a.m. I was going into withdrawals:(
    I looked at my phone and didn't know what else to do so I went back to sleep.lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Well-Known Member

She may have sent the text to stop Amber from meeting her in Las Vegas aa planned before they both were to head back to Arizona I think.

So if Amber was going to drive or fly to Vegas for the meet; Then maybe Katelin didn't want her to go through all of that trouble. Idk. Just a thought.

11. drjones

drjones Former Member

i think my main point would still hold even if that were the case tho, she would have known that by sending such a vague text and then not answering any return calls or texts that amber would have started calling other people and the ruse would soon be exposed. i just think someone looking to mislead people would have realized that those two texts would not work, they would instead end up causing immediate alarm.

12. monkeypants

Agree.

13. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR Well-Known Member

Thank You...I knew there was something about a change...maybe even asked to be taken earlier than the original planned leaving time.
    If so...how would sd know that she made her plane? Wasn't it he that texted that she did? So long ago and issues with loading pages today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. monkeypants

Am I the only one that thinks this is voluntary most likely? I think I might be....

15. drjones

drjones Former Member

there is literally not one thing about it that makes me think this was voluntary.

the only thing to ever suggest it was a vague comment by LE which was never clarified and definitely could have been misleading.

16. Tabirey

Tabirey Music Addict

http://m.kltv.com/kltv/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:4fnNC7rU

Old article, but :
    <Snipped from above article >
    "Even though Katelin hasn't had her phone on since Saturday, the family says they are in contact with the telecommunication company to trace the cell phone as soon as they can. "

Wonder what info they received from the phone company, if any? I'd love to know where her phone pinged from when those last 2 texts were sent.

17. Tabirey

Tabirey Music Addict

Completely right there with you!!!

18. dyannaON

dyannaON Well-Known Member

I wish the family would make a plea to the media. So much silence in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. monkeypants

Wonder why that is....mom certainly has no reason to protect an ex..but yet she doesn't call him out etc....maybe they think she left on her own as well?

20. hey-Debbie

hey-Debbie Well-Known Member

I don't think she left on her own. I don't think she would be gone this long without contact with her sister and her niece. She's missing holiday baby pictures. All of that stuff. I don't know her at all but she doesn't seem the type to just abandon family and friends for this amount of time. There's no tolls or anything to prove timelines. It wouldn't be too hard to put a phone in a car and drive it somewhere and toss it out the window near the mall to make it look like she was there. It's just unfortunate that there has been no word of cell phone activity. Where's the warrants? Are there any?