VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

also, the luggage was planted there on purpose imo. if katelin is ever found it wont be anywhere near there.

It's highly questionable to me why no water search was done when her luggage was found so close to the river. If I had a dead body I needed to get rid of quickly, I'd toss it into the swiftly running river close by. No one is out on the river in winter, so even if a body floated, it could go unnoticed depending on how populated the area was. If it wasn't just carried out. I think they lost an opportunity by not searching.

It's been forever since I followed her case. Was it ever determined who owned her cell phone? Was the account in her name? Amber's name? A burner phone? I guess that would make a difference in getting search warrants. I think the LE didn't call this correctly in the beginning maybe thinking that she left on her own accord from the texts that appeared to come from her. Like I said before. It's not hard to put a phone in your car and drive it to the location that you said the person went to. It's easier to state she was dropped off in a large area But who am I to know. Someone was buying time. I would be screaming at the top of my lungs if she was my family. It's such a shame that Amber lived so far away. I think she would have been able to bring my local public attention to this case.

I remember reading somewhere that it was a burner phone, but I am unable to locate the source now. Also, why wasn't LE viewing traffic cameras to see if they saw the vehicle en route to Springfield Mall and looking at occupants of the vehicle? That would certainly narrow the timeline of the abduction. If they are now saying she never left Spotsylvania, that's super fishy.

IIRC in the beginning, her mom (or was that Amber's mom?) did try very hard to keep this in the media. I think she even joined here as a VI. Am I remembering correctly?

It was Amber's mother, and she was never verified.

Welcome to the new people!

:welcome4: :welcome4: :welcome4:

Question- does anyone know if they've searched the river for her body? Where her luggage was found is near the Rappahannok River. That river claims lots of lives each year- very dangerous water and rapids. I never heard of a water search, but there are lots of secluded places along the river where it wouldn't be too hard to dump a body unnoticed.

From what I remember, authorities didn't want anyone searching for Katelin either, especially when her luggage was found 2 days after she went missing.

This case just kind of horrifies me. It's not the showy/bloody/shocking type of thing like other cases, but it's the fact that a girl just at the start of adulthood can go missing for an entire year under pretty suspicious circumstances and so little is done to find her or get justice for her. That, and it doesn't seem as mysterious as some cases such as karina vetrano or vanessa marcotte. So little to go on in those cases and it could be almost anybody. Those cases also feel like everyone in the world is helping out. Katelin's case just feels forgotten.

I agree FaithandHope.
The world needs to know about Katelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]Katelin's case just feels forgotten."

​here is the reason for that...[FONT=&quot]

“We don’t suspect right now there’s been foul play, but we don’t rule it out either, just because of suspicious circumstances of finding her luggage and some other items that may belong to her on the side of the road in an area of the county where she should not have been,” Captain Jeff Pearce of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office told the station.:

"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Spotsylvania County detectives have determined that Katelin Akens’ stepfather did indeed take her to the Springfield Mall Saturday, but what happened to her after that remains a mystery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Contrary to some reports, Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Pearce said Thursday that police have yet to find any surveillance footage of Akens at the mall or anywhere else. But he said police have corroborated the stepfather’s story that he dropped her off in Northern Virginia."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“We’re hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn’t going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements,” Pearce says. “Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case].”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

once you mention that someone may have just run off the case will get much less attention, then it gets "confirmed" that the stepfather was telling the truth and dropped her off (except it wasnt) and most people just tune out...

to this day i would bet you that when most people see news about this case they think "oh yeah, thats the girl that ran away, they confirmed her stepdad dropped her at the mall and they found some stuff on her cell and facebook that she was going to take off, probably ran off with some guy and didnt know how to tell her girlfriend"

once you mention that someone may have just run off the case will get much less attention, then it gets "confirmed" that the stepfather was telling the truth and dropped her off (except it wasnt) and most people just tune out...

to this day i would bet you that when most people see news about this case they think "oh yeah, thats the girl that ran away, they confirmed her stepdad dropped her at the mall and they found some stuff on her cell and facebook that she was going to take off, probably ran off with some guy and didnt know how to tell her girlfriend"

I wonder why LE has seemingly changed their view on these events? Now they seem to be saying she never left the area where her mother dropped her off?

I wonder why LE has seemingly changed their view on these events? Now they seem to be saying she never left the area where her mother dropped her off?

its possible some evidence was uncovered that changed their minds, but my guess is that it is simply because she has never turned up anywhere.

The LE also mentioned early on that Katelin and Heather are not connected but yet no movement in either case. I still do wonder if there is a connection. I doubt there is but my mind does wonder sometimes. Jmo.

I believe the cases are related somehow. Too many coincidences (age, appearance, geographic location) to write it off. Yes- there is a body in Heather's case and none in Katelin's, but that's not a reason to immediately dismiss any connection.

In the same area, it took them a while to connect the Silva and Lisk sisters as having the same killer. The police just aren't equipped for cases like these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I wonder how amber is doing.

katelin was supposedly dropped off at a mall, in the middle of the day, on a saturday, a few weeks before christmas - yet nobody saw her and there is no record she was ever there.

because she was never there. even the police no longer believe she was. and therefore the person claiming that she was dropped off there is a liar. now why would someone lie about that?

nothing has come out about heather and katelin ever knowing each other or being involved in anything together, and katelin was not living here for quite a while before going missing. they could be related but i think its more likely a coincidence.

LE just recently added this to their latest MSM updates, which seems strange?

The Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office says those responsible, or who have knowledge of her disappearance, may exhibit behavior changes, including:

Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in hair color or cut, etc.)
Change in normal routine, which might include missing work, classes, or previously scheduled appointments
Displays of anxiety, nervousness, or irritability
Disposing of property without legitimate or reasonable explanations
Intense interest in the status of this investigation
Unexplained injuries (cuts on hands, bruise, etc) contemporaneous to when Katelin was last seen

http://www.nbc12.com/story/33913409/spotsylvania-teen-still-missing-1-year-later

LE just recently added this to their latest MSM updates, which seems strange?

The Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office says those responsible, or who have knowledge of her disappearance, may exhibit behavior changes, including:

Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in hair color or cut, etc.)
Change in normal routine, which might include missing work, classes, or previously scheduled appointments
Displays of anxiety, nervousness, or irritability
Disposing of property without legitimate or reasonable explanations
Intense interest in the status of this investigation
Unexplained injuries (cuts on hands, bruise, etc) contemporaneous to when Katelin was last seen

http://www.nbc12.com/story/33913409/spotsylvania-teen-still-missing-1-year-later

Yeah I wonder why they even posted that... like I would remember a co-worker or something having a scratch on his hand a year ago. It just seems too late for any of that info to ever hold up. That's the kind of stuff they should have put out there less than a week after she was reported missing, or at least certainly after they verified they did not have proof she went to the mall (which should have been within days of her missing report).

"Intense interest in the status of this investigation"

:eek:hoh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123