VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least, a walking experiment could be done. We could try to trace possible walks that would get us to that section of 95/river. Maybe some evidence would be found along the way. Although...as I write this, it isn't sitting well with me that she would have walked to that area.
Let me ask this...where is the first section of bridge that someone could jump or be pushed into the river, in relation to BPA?

I'm not positive of this. Shutter may be able to give a better distance.

If the little island that Shutter found is the right one then it's about 1.5 miles from BPA. From what I saw on the I-95 bridge - where there is 2 places that bridge crosses over Swift Creek - to me...and this is JMO...I looked at the 2nd crossing pretty hard and it appears it's somewhere in the neighborhood of .5 miles from that island. I don't know how to use the measuring tool on those maps...

It would just seem to me Kelly was put in the water somewhere around 2 miles upstream and then wound up downstream about .5 miles. Taking into account the water level isn't that great and appears to have somewhat of a more gentle flow than a rapid one (which someone local should be able to clue us in on). Taking into account Kelly's weight and the clothing she had on - especially the boots (which should have weighted her down significantly) I think the water flow would have had great difficulty moving her over any great distance.

A good mathematician - if given the information should be able to come to a conclusion about how possible it would have been for her to be taken upstream by water. Which I think LE's theory could be shot down relatively quickly... With a more reasonable scenario of Kelly being put in the water above where she was found - with her floating to her resting spot.

From the stories I've been reading on the Internet regarding bodies in water (and it's been all kinds of water), the person usually isn't found too far from where it is believed they went into the water - with the exception of flood or being in the ocean.

I'm not positive of this. Shutter may be able to give a better distance.

If the little island that Shutter found is the right one then it's about 1.5 miles from BPA. From what I saw on the I-95 bridge - where there is 2 places that bridge crosses over Swift Creek - to me...and this is JMO...I looked at the 2nd crossing pretty hard and it appears it's somewhere in the neighborhood of .5 miles from that island. I don't know how to use the measuring tool on those maps...

It would just seem to me Kelly was put in the water somewhere around 2 miles upstream and then wound up downstream about .5 miles. Taking into account the water level isn't that great and appears to have somewhat of a more gentle flow than a rapid one (which someone local should be able to clue us in on). Taking into account Kelly's weight and the clothing she had on - especially the boots (which should have weighted her down significantly) I think the water flow would have had great difficulty moving her over any great distance.

A good mathematician - if given the information should be able to come to a conclusion about how possible it would have been for her to be taken upstream by water. Which I think LE's theory could be shot down relatively quickly... With a more reasonable scenario of Kelly being put in the water above where she was found - with her floating to her resting spot.

From the stories I've been reading on the Internet regarding bodies in water (and it's been all kinds of water), the person usually isn't found too far from where it is believed they went into the water - with the exception of flood or being in the ocean.
A scientific aproach is the best way to handle this kind of problem. I will make some calls today and see what i can come up with. " The subject today is math" Thanks for the idea, and the team work!

Hello again everyone. I will try to answer any questions I can, hope something is helpful. When was Kelly at our studio with the ex's mom? Hmmm... it seems to me it was about a year ago, I'm not exactly sure but it seems like it was quite a long time ago that they came in together, maybe even more than a year ago. They came for a while regularly then Kelly told us we wouldn't see her much during softball season and when the weather was nice. So we didn't see either one of them for a while and then Kelly started coming back recently by herself. I apologize for not being more helpful, but there are usually 20 plus people in a typical class and I don't remember exactly when she was here. I had another thought/question that has been on my mind. Please forgive me Kelly's family, don't want to upset you in any way. But I remember reading that the "viewing" would be one day and the funeral the next. Was there really a "viewing"? Because if a body had been in the water for 2 months I would think that it would be rather decomposed?? So if it was in any condition for a viewing, perhaps it wasn't actually in the water for that long, maybe she was placed in the water later?

there was no viewing of the body due to decomposing. Whether she was there 2 months, I don't know but do know that she was very fragile.

Thank you Beltingitout, I apologize to the family if my question was inappropriate. I don't feel I have much insight to offer, but please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. Although this is not helpful to any investigation, Kelly was very well liked here and added alot of positive energy. She was a good dancer and picked up quickly, she was athletic and had lots of natural ability. Many of us at the studio are heartbroken, even though we didn't know her well she managed to touch us all in the short time she was here. We pray for the family that some answers will be found.

Two images for you all. (I'm merely doing this in Shutterfly's absence--not trying to take over, honest. Shutterfly is far better at this than me.)

Note I95 to the left (west). Points a and b show where Swift Creek passes under the interstate.
EastofI95.gif

In this second image, note how difficult it would be for the remains to reach the little rock. Going upstream, the body would have had to make a very sharp left to get behind the bigger island in front of the little rock (see red arrow). From under 95, going east, the body would have had to pass through very shallow water. (The little blue circles represent especially shallow waters.)
95overpassandSwiftCreek.jpg

I'm going to get an image of the entire area and post it. I'll be back

The only problem...we don't know exactly when these pics were taken by google or bing...so we don't exactly know the depth of the water - and any changes that may have been made to the watercourses due to flooding and erosion since these pics were taken.

Anyone know if we can get a current satellite pic...and maybe a satellite pic from the day she went missing until the day she was found?

Hey truthsleuth, guys? Look to the right of the I95 overpass in truthsleuths last pic. See that little, round "pool" of water? Below that you see what looks like several "tracks" of some sort in the water, and they lead back down to the area where we're guessing Kelly was found. There is one tract of water there that appears to be deep enough to get through from that pool. IF Kelly went into the water where that pool is, do you think it's possible for her to wind up where she was found? There are pathways leading right to that pool from behind Linens Of The Week and from Continental Rd. I also found what looks like a path that runs from the back corner of BPA in the direction of Linens Of The Week and this pool. I wonder if that pool is the popular fishing spot Joseph spoke of?

Hey truthsleuth, guys? Look to the right of the I95 overpass in truthsleuths last pic. See that little, round "pool" of water? Below that you see what looks like several "tracks" of some sort in the water, and they lead back down to the area where we're guessing Kelly was found. There is one tract of water there that appears to be deep enough to get through from that pool. IF Kelly went into the water where that pool is, do you think it's possible for her to wind up where she was found? There are pathways leading right to that pool from behind Linens Of The Week and from Continental Rd. I also found what looks like a path that runs from the back corner of BPA in the direction of Linens Of The Week and this pool. I wonder if that pool is the popular fishing spot Joseph spoke of?
I need the pool you are talking about pointed out on the pic. The fishing spot that Joe talked about is off the trail on the side of linens of the week . At the end of that trail is our catfish hole. I showed Joe this spot a long time ago. Im not sure if thats where you are talking about? I have pics of all the surrounding wooded areas , but i dont know how to put them up here from my pics on my computer? I could email them to someone, or someone can walk me through it?

I need the pool you are talking about pointed out on the pic. The fishing spot that Joe talked about is off the trail on the side of linens of the week . At the end of that trail is our catfish hole. I showed Joe this spot a long time ago. Im not sure if thats where you are talking about? I have pics of all the surrounding wooded areas , but i dont know how to put them up here from my pics on my computer? I could email them to someone, or someone can walk me through it?

I'm working on it scrap...gimme a few minutes

i thought i walked ya through this man. its so easy even a caveman can do it.

i thought i walked ya through this man. its so easy even a caveman can do it.

Hey Joseph, how are ya? Here's the "pool" I was just pointing out to scrap. You know where this is, right?

Pool.jpg

Pool1.jpg

Hey Joseph, how are ya? Here's the "pool" I was just pointing out to scrap. You know where this is, right?

Pool.jpg

Pool1.jpg

No thats not the fishing spot we go to . Where we go is that point behind liens of the week and a little to the right. Its at the end of the trail .

Just a thought here.

Did Kelly ever expressed any kind of concerns or problems to her family or friends about someone that she knew other than her ex?

Was she having any problem with a coworker that would prompt her to make a complaint to her manager at work? Like the kind that would trigger an internal investigation at work, such as a sexual harassment complaint?

Or maybe was she having a problem with someone living in her neighborhood that she didn't get along with?

yes i am familiar with it.

I figured you would be. Looking at the area on the map and also knowing it as you do, would you think a body could travel from this area to where Kelly was found? Think it's deep enough?

Shutterfly,

How far is this pool area from the I-95 freeway?

Would it be possible for someone in the middle of the night on I-95 to pull over to the berm and walk to the pool area to place a body there?

Would it also be possible for someone to walk from the industrial area and place a body at the pool area?

Shutterfly,

How far is this pool area from the I-95 freeway?

Would it be possible for someone in the middle of the night on I-95 to pull over to the berm and walk to the pool area to place a body there?

Would it also be possible for someone to walk from the industrial area and place a body at the pool area?

Here's a view from 95.......BPA would be to the upper right of this pic. It's right by 95.
Pool96.jpg

ETA: looks like about a mile and a quarter/half from BPA to 95 via paths and dodging area's of water. It's about three fourths of a mile from Continental Blvd to the 'pool,' via dirt roads, and a mile from BPA to the pool.

Hi Shutterfly,

Pool1.jpg

I never really noticed this pool of water before, and it is within what seems to be very close proximity to I95.

But for me the obvious question is, how would the body travel through such shallow waters containing such heavy vegetation (for lack of a better word)? It just would be very difficult waters to navigate to arrive at the little island if the body floated.

I don't know if it would be more difficult if the remains were carried there. I wonder if a small boat could make it from there to Swift Creek ... I'm thinking no, but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998