Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew! I finally made it to the end!
I've read all the other threads and must say I'm impressed with all the work you people have done to help find MH.

I'm afraid I have nothing earth shattering to add, you guys have covered a lot.

I was thinking about the missing cell phone battery. It could be anywhere even a storm drain like this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=...=iTUTffxpmAraDENlGCoqJg&cbp=12,60.55,,0,15.94

I wonder if places like this have been searched. Heavy rain however could wash it away.
I have no idea how 'buoyant' a cell phone battery is and hope I never find out! :)

Whew! I finally made it to the end!
I've read all the other threads and must say I'm impressed with all the work you people have done to help find MH.

I'm afraid I have nothing earth shattering to add, you guys have covered a lot.

I was thinking about the missing cell phone battery. It could be anywhere even a storm drain like this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=...=iTUTffxpmAraDENlGCoqJg&cbp=12,60.55,,0,15.94

I wonder if places like this have been searched. Heavy rain however could wash it away.
I have no idea how 'buoyant' a cell phone battery is and hope I never find out! :)

When we were searching last Saturday our team leader told us to look in all drainage pipes and in the storm drains. We looked as best we could and used sticks to pry around, but I don't feel like it was a complete search.

We also didn't know how big the battery was for the phone - so we didn't feel like we knew exactly what to look for. I have seen batteries in various sizes...colors, etc. It would have been helpful to know exactly what it looked like. I don't understand how withholding that information is pertinent to the investigation.

When we were searching last Saturday our team leader told us to look in all drainage pipes and in the storm drains. We looked as best we could and used sticks to pry around, but I don't feel like it was a complete search.

We also didn't know how big the battery was for the phone - so we didn't feel like we knew exactly what to look for. I have seen batteries in various sizes...colors, etc. It would have been helpful to know exactly what it looked like. I don't understand how withholding that information is pertinent to the investigation.

Thank you secret_agent_mom. I really appreciate all you've done to help with this missing girl. She needs to be found and returned to her family and friends.

I was looking at the bridge where she was last reported to have been seen. I'm not sure if this was discussed, but it looks to me as if there's only a sidewalk on the east side of the bridge and not on the west side:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...wseDvk1xxR_yKy9MPrC2bg&cbp=11,315.87,,0,18.16

Can you confirm this?
What's up with the strange symbol on the road? Fraternity sign? It probably means nothing - just curious. It might not even be there anymore.

Thank you secret_agent_mom. I really appreciate all you've done to help with this missing girl. She needs to be found and returned to her family and friends.

I was looking at the bridge where she was last reported to have been seen. I'm not sure if this was discussed, but it looks to me as if there's only a sidewalk on the east side of the bridge and not on the west side:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...wseDvk1xxR_yKy9MPrC2bg&cbp=11,315.87,,0,18.16

Can you confirm this?
What's up with the strange symbol on the road? Fraternity sign? It probably means nothing - just curious. It might not even be there anymore.

I appreciate you thanking me, but it is the very least I can do really. I keep thinking of my own kids and what I would want people to do if it were one of them.

You are correct about the sidewalk. There is only one sidewalk on the bridge. It is on the opposite side of the road from where the RV lot is.

I had to laugh when you asked about the symbol on the road because when I first moved to Charlottesville, those were my landmarks to get around. It is two sabers crossed to form a "V" - for the UVA Cavaliers. The symbols are painted on the campus streets.

I appreciate you thanking me, but it is the very least I can do really. I keep thinking of my own kids and what I would want people to do if it were one of them.

You are correct about the sidewalk. There is only one sidewalk on the bridge. It is on the opposite side of the road from where the RV lot is.

I had to laugh when you asked about the symbol on the road because when I first moved to Charlottesville, those were my landmarks to get around. It is two sabers crossed to form a "V" - for the UVA Cavaliers. The symbols are painted on the campus streets.

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's great to have someone local I can ask dumb questions to!:blushing:

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's great to have someone local I can ask dumb questions to!:blushing:

There are no dumb questions :).

There are also other symbols painted around UVA and C'ville..."7's" and "Z's." These have to do with two semi-secret organizations at UVA, from what I understand.

Changing topics, on the psychic thread at FB there is speculation about specific named places...airports, Colleen VA, Canyon something, and Black Rock Hill Overlook. Earlier posts have mentioned Dickerson, Dale or Dell, and some other things.

If you look at Google maps, the line from CHO airport through JPJ to Lynchburg airport, back north to Colleen, to Black Rock Hill Overlook, and finally to Canyon Road in Caves Spring, Virginia does a hump over Bedford, Virginia. There is an RSO who lives in Bedford on Dickerson Mill Road. His work address is listed as Roanoke, but there is another listing of the same company in Bedford. This route would also take you close to Daleville and Cloverdale, for what it's worth. I hesitate to even post here about this shot in the dark, but is this ever the kind of thing LE would check out?

I was very disappointed in Dr. Phil's coverage of the case. I guess I should be thankful for national coverage, but I was hoping more information would be released.

I did find it interesting that GH said MH had quit smoking six months ago. It appeared that neither she nor DH were sure why MH went outside of the arena.

Also, from this same (really good!) article this quote caught my eye

I don't recall the grandma's story being debunked, do you?? Do we know why it isn't credible? Sorry if I've just spaced this out!

since LE has reported numorous sightings and did not report this one I guess it suggests they don't think this one is true. But as far as it being ruled out as impossible i'm not aware of it being done so publicly. I think if they have experienced interviewers (hopefully with "the bureau" involed they do) then I think they have certain signs they look for and questions they ask that gives them and idea of whether something is legit or not, but again I have not seen anything maybe public to confirm this has been dubuked.

Since she received a call while in the area and was texting while in the area and just the fact that the phone pings periodically the information is definitely available to see if she (or at least her phone) was there. I would have to assume they checked this for a variety of reasons but most importantly because it would be hard for me to imagine they didn't follow the pings after the last call to see if it showed her going somewhere else or at least showed she was headed in a certain direction. For this reason I have ignored all theories that involve her not being at the arena at all, but of course nothing has been said publicly about the pings and what not so I may be wrong.

I was very disappointed in Dr. Phil's coverage of the case. I guess I should be thankful for national coverage, but I was hoping more information would be released.

I did find it interesting that GH said MH had quit smoking six months ago. It appeared that neither she nor DH were sure why MH went outside of the arena.

I plan to watch this at 8:00 and am curious about what you said. Did Dr. Phil not focus on the facts of the case? Did he not have a lot of time allotted for Morgan? How did the Harrington's seem regarding her friends?

It IS interesting they said she quit smoking 6 months ago.....hummmm.

God bless Morgan.......may she soon be found.

I find it kind of strange that her brother Alex has done nothing..notable.. in the search for Morgan. Alex has not even changed his My Space page to her missing poster like most of her friends and tons of people on Facebook have done.
In Gils statement she says "Alex is the only one of us who has had many moments of genuine grief, afraid if we go there we will drown and not be able to do this job."
This is in the Find Morgan, Family Blog.
I wrote about her brother previously. He is a hair dresser and lives in New York. http://www.papermag.com/blogs/2008/09/cornered_style_alex_jordan_har.php

I would think that most big brothers would "man up" during something like this. His parents need him and his sister needs him. There would be a time for breaking down and tears later..when all is known.

I wonder if they have checked his apartment in New York. I am pretty sure Morgan would have a key to that apartment since somebody somewhere in my looking around said Morgan used to fly food out to him in New York because the prices of food in NY are so high. I thought that strange but everybody jumped me and said..its the sisterly thing to do. Ok I will accept that. I thought you could buy a whole ton of groceries for the flight price.
Has anybody heard what Alex is doing to "find Morgan"? Sorry I just can't let this go.
Also on that link that I posted above when asked why did you leave Alex states " I had to get out of there" Did he mean the state or did he mean home?

Her brother looks gay, and i'm sure living in VA was stifling to him, and with their parents, who along with the area they lived in, is far from a gay mecca for him. So he probably wanted to go to NYC where it is more accepting and he could find a place in the fashion community.
Since he is obviously openly gay in touch with his own sexuality, he is not afraid to show his grief and wear his heart on his sleeve, or "man up" as you say it.

Also, his lack of public pleas with his parents may be because if his parent's don't approve of his sexuality, they may not want him going public. Unfortunately there is ignorance out there, the parents may think their son dressed in high fashion may add bias to the case or something.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/225980

Just found this, I hope I can post it, I didn't see any asterisks.

I like the bit -

It's good to know our thoughts are not going unheard.

"So many armchair detectives have used the Web pages to post their speculations and raise questions about Harrington's disappearance that the Virginia State Police has tasked two agents to constantly peruse the sites in search of useful information, spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. "We think, if it's out there and if it's surfaced, let's look into it."

It is very good to know that we can be of help =)

I plan to watch this at 8:00 and am curious about what you said. Did Dr. Phil not focus on the facts of the case? Did he not have a lot of time allotted for Morgan? How did the Harrington's seem regarding her friends?

It IS interesting they said she quit smoking 6 months ago.....hummmm.

God bless Morgan.......may she soon be found.

Sorry for the spoiler. :)

The story is first on the show and I think I timed it at about seven minutes...not including commercials. Dr. Phil didn't ask any questions about the investigation. DH and GH look exhausted. They spoke briefly, but not about any of the questions we have (like about her friends, the phone, etc.).

I am anxious to hear your thoughts after you watch the show.

Sorry for the spoiler. :)

The story is first on the show and I think I timed it at about seven minutes...not including commercials. Dr. Phil didn't ask any questions about the investigation. DH and GH look exhausted. They spoke briefly, but not about any of the questions we have (like about her friends, the phone, etc.).

I am anxious to hear your thoughts after you watch the show.

I wonder if LE told them not to talk about the case. If this was the case then Dr. Phil knew he couldnt ask any questions that could help us help find her. So frustrating.... I hope this case does get solved for everyone's sake.

I feel ashamed that we live in a Country where women and kids are not respected and bad things happen to them on a daily basis. Why are there so many bad people living here?

The Government should do something to every perv found guilty like castration and I do not mean chemical castration but the real thing. Once a perv always a perv. There is no way to cure someone like that unless you are observing them 24 hrs a day and monitoring their medications.

Someone should pass a law asap. We should all band together and step our foot down and say no more! I have two kids and I fear for them every day.

I hope there are some changes made but we have to make them happen.

The new missing poster seems to have more information about her clothing and jewelry:

"Distinguishing Marks: Birthmark on upper right arm

Clothing Description: Black t−shirt with "Pantera" written in rust color lettering, black leggings, black mini skirt, black knee high boots (rounded toe with a moderate heel)

Jewelry: Flat link silver necklace with rhinestones, silver dangle earrings, assorted bracelets and rings, rubber bands on fingers in assorted colors

Morgan may have been trying to travel from Charlottesville to to Harrisonburg or Charlottesville to Roanoke, Virginia."

Source: http://www.lrcf.net/photos/MorganHarrington.pdf

In the link from post #11 her Dad says:

Sounds like she was not shy, but naive perhaps

ok, I don't think installing fear would be a good idea either. Maybe all women should take self-defense in school early on. It's not her fault if someone abducted her, but we all could use safety and some martial arts start kicking the criminals asses when they try anything.
It scares me to think she was not safe at an arena.

Just throwing this out there...

IF MH had extra tickets to sell...why wouldn't she have tried to sell them before she entered into the arena?

Why would she sit thru part of a concert and then just up and decide to go outside and try to sell extra tickets?

What you say makes the most sense. Ticket scalpers usually sell before the concert starts and people are still lined up to get in.
Also the concert wasn't sold out, so it's not like she'd be making a profit off the tickets. She would most likely have to sell them for less, or to someone who didn't want wait in line for tickets.
------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think she went out there to sell tickets. I think she went outside to meet up with someone. Some male she had met either online, or something. It doesn't make sense to leave tickets on the frig for 6 months (that would seem she's looking forward to the concert, Metallica being the main act). Then she leaves right before they come on. If she had some type of guy she was supposed to meet up with and then use some of the tickets to get herself back into the concert along with him (given she even had extra tickets).
Does anyone know if her Myspace and Facebook pages were public or set to private (so only her friends on her list could view it?).
I could see an online stalker finding out she would be at the concert, making a fake profile to "lure" her. Then arranging to be at the concert to see her. The perp either follows her outside or arranges for her to be outside somehow. Things go wrong, Morgan starts walking. Perhaps she didn't have extra tickets to get back inside.

She was seen on the 7-11 store security cameras, right?
Was she buying anything?

Her purse was found in the parking lot near the athletic fields.
Now if we have a predator who was randomly looking for a victim at the concert, he could have followed Morgan. One who strays from the pack is an easy target.

Then we have her friends who called her around 8:48pm Morgan said she would try to get a ride home from friends who lived around Charlottesville.

"• 8:10: Left the arena
• 8:20-8:30: Seen outside the entrance of John Paul Jones Arena
• 8:30-8:48: Seen at various locations, including on the University Hall side of the arena
• 8:48: A friend who accompanied her to the Metallica concert called Harrington, who said she would try to get a ride home from friends around Charlottesville.
• 8:48-9: Seen in the arena area; there is no credible information that she re-entered the arena.
• 9-9:10: Witnesses saw her, carrying a black purse, walking through the University Hall parking area. No one can confirm that she was with anyone in particular, but she was around other people.
{do the witnesses mean that she was around other people would could have possibly been with her, or just randoms about the place}
• 9:10-9:20: Seen in the Lannigan Field parking area near the track and had limited interaction with individuals who have come forward or were identified; may have talked to other people during this time period.
{Are the individuals she talked to that have come forward the same as the witnesses who seen her in the Lannigan Field parking area? What was the context of their conversation if any?}
• 9:20: The individuals who had encountered her left in their vehicles; there is no indication she left with any of them.
• 9:20-9:30: Police have reports that she was on the Copeley Road bridge over the railroad tracks, near the intersection with Ivy Road."
{Was she walking towards the 7-11 convience store on Ivy Road at this point?}
http://www.virginia.edu/uvatoday/newsRelease.php?id=10167

Maybe the friend who she said she would try to get a ride home with is the young man she last texted who was in Charlottesville.

"She told her friends that she would either wait for them until concert's end or she would find a way home. Harrington's girlfriends waited several hours but when she didn't appear or answer her phone, they went home without her."
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2363142/morgan_harrington_still_missing_search.html

It should have been a huge red flag for her friends that she didn't answer her phone. By that point, someone had taken the battery out. The calls would go to voicemail automatically. If i couldn't reach her, under the circumstances i would have called police ASAP.

Just throwing this out there...

IF MH had extra tickets to sell...why wouldn't she have tried to sell them before she entered into the arena?

Why would she sit thru part of a concert and then just up and decide to go outside and try to sell extra tickets?

When I heard the concert wasn't sold-out I thought the scalping of tickets idea wasn't correct after-all unless, she was selling them to a friend, guy or acquaintance that wanted to sit with her.

I haven't seen any information on this (or Harrisonburg, for that matter). Anyone else?

But if the battery's out, clearly there are no more pings. So why is it unimportant to LE that the battery was missing? Either MH or someone else could have done it intentionally for that or other reasons. DH reportedly said something along the lines of "it happens frequently to MH's phone," which I guess makes it a non-issue, and people are I guess assuming it was unintentional (maybe during the unverified times MH was seen dropping her purse), but then why wasn't a battery found?

It's odd LE said it was unimportant that the battery was missing. Even if her dad says that she drops the battery a lot, it still doesn't mean that someone didn't take out the battery intentionally.
Either the back of her phone is broken and the battery doesn't stay in well, or the battery and back of phone are one and the same (this is seen in older phones, which i doubt was what she used; they aren't the flip open ones).

I wish we had a picture of her phone or an identical phone to the one she had..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288