Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

It was suicide. The condition of the finding confirms.

Can you please link to a source for this? Nicole's discovery was termed "remains." That could mean anything from a fully intact body to skeletonized. I'm not asking you to be graphic, but to explain beyond the discovery of a suicide note.

We don't know for a fact why Nicole may, or may not have chosen to take her own life; however LE would certainly be interested in the social circumstances of any missing persons, including but not limited to online slander, rumors, and potential harassment involving coworkers. It's vitally important to understand what was happening in a person's life- ALL aspects of their life- prior to their disappearance. I can appreciate WS protecting itself from becoming a rumor mill, but if I may say, as a new member, I can see aggressive censorship of information sharing. At least in this case.

Welcome to Websleuths!

It appears that Virginia State Police are willing to share that information about other missing persons:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/MissingPersons.shtm

So if they aren't sharing that information about Nicole, then it either doesn't exist or is irrelevant to her disappearance. I've watched Nancy Grace as so many others do, and if a missing person has a mental or physical health condition, it's usually reported so that person gets medical assistance as soon as possible.

I'm not comfortable assuming anything about missing person's mental issues unless LE or immediate family is disclosing that information to help find them.
Or, because of who her husband is, in deference to him, they left that out.

also food for thought - I was talking to my husband about this and possible mental illness and he said even if so, he doubted she would have gone and gotten diagnosed bc that would have been the end of her career. I don't know how accurate that is, but it could certainly have played a role if in fact her job was her ray of light so to speak.

also food for thought - I was talking to my husband about this and possible mental illness and he said even if so, he doubted she would have gone and gotten diagnosed bc that would have been the end of her career. I don't know how accurate that is, but it could certainly have played a role if in fact her job was her ray of light so to speak.

I posted that before I read the latest pages. I need to get caught up on recent findings before I comment on this again.

Not to me. Calling in sick implies you'll be back to work and there would be no point to do that if you are never coming back.
It gives her two days lead time with nobody worrying. I don't think she would have anticipated such a rigorous response team and probably had no intention of ever being found in there.

Not to me. Calling in sick implies you'll be back to work and there would be no point to do that if you are never coming back.

She may have called in because in her line of work it is important for the safety of others (the public) that a replacement be asked to come in and cover her shift. She may have been thinking along those lines.

Nor was I suggesting any single comment could be determinative. On the contrary. Big picture. ��

Statement just released by the VSP along with photos of the transport. Currently on the FN page

VSP and National Park Service Make Prelminary ID of Remains

Thursday afternoon, a search and rescue team composed of National Park Service and Virginia State Police discovered female remains within the Shenandoah National Park within the area of the Whiteoak Canyon Trail.

State police, FBI and the National Park Service processed the scene as part of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Nicole K. Mittendorff, 31, of Woodbridge, Va. The body is being transported to Office of the Medical Examiner in Manassas for autopsy, examination and positive ID. However, state police have preliminarily identified her as Nicole.

The physical and digital evidence collected during the course of this investigation – to include a note recovered from her car – leads investigators to believe there was no foul play involved in her death.

VSP expresses its sincere appreciation to the National Park Service and Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) for their excepational coordination of the search operations and assistance to the VSP. We also thank the Fairfax County Fire Department for lending their search crews to the efforts today...as well as the hundreds of other volunteer search and rescue teams who have spent the past six days climbing through extremely rugged terrain.

It was because of everyone's determination and dedication to this search mission that we are able to bring Nicole home to her family...and provide them with some closure.

Can you please link to a source for this? Nicole's discovery was termed "remains." That could mean anything from a fully intact body to skeletonized. I'm not asking you to be graphic, but to explain beyond the discovery of a suicide note.
LE has specifically said they will not release state of body or COD, pending ME so I'm curious too. That hasn't even been leaked by searchers to other troopers yet as far as I can see.

I apologize, as I am new to this.

I will try my best to be respectful.

RIP Nicole... My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones (friends and family).

If you are upset by the cyber bullying, you can contact Fairfax mayor's office with a request they provide education for some of the employees about cyber bullying. I am not saying the bullying is what caused her death, but bullying is never healthy.

Why did they (LE) NOT say from the beginning a suicide note was found? It, IMOO, changes many aspects of a case. I know it's very upsetting, hurtful and the like of what her family has been going through, how awful for her family, fly with the Angels Nicole.
But it would have helped people understand why there WERE NOT needed for a search, at the risk of someone being hurt looking for a body and not an injured person.
Please!!! I am probably not stating this well but I mean no disrespect!

I imagine it was out of respect for Nicole and her family. What if LE found the note, made it public, and then found that Nicole had changed her mind or had survived the attempt? They probably felt that this was a heartbreaking and personal situation and decided it was better not to publicize the note.

She may have called in because in her line of work it is important for the safety of others (the public) that a replacement be asked to come in and cover her shift. She may have been thinking along those lines.

I can see this.

I deleted my comment, though, because it's apparent that she did commit suicide.

I'm still not comfortable assuming anything yet, though. Just taking in the facts as they come in.

RIP Nicole... My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones (friends and family).

If you are upset by the cyber bullying, you can contact Fairfax mayor's office with a request they provide education for some of the employees about cyber bullying. I am not saying the bullying is what caused her death, but bullying is never healthy.
<modsnip>The Fairfax city mayor has nothing to do with this, as she worked for Fairfax County.

Same here, I am saddened that they didn't find her alive.

Question for the mods - is it okay to address the cyber bullying against Nicole? Not the content of the comments posted but the fact that someone disliked Nicole so much that they went online and tried to ruin her life.

Probably true. First responders need to be mentally tough to handle the job. A mental illness diagnosis would likely make her bosses question whether she was fit for duty.

I have battled suicide and depression my whole life. Twice, I made plans. Thankfully, I was able to talk to people who helped me and did not go thru with it.

Nicole, I am sorry you are gone. I hope you are in a better place.

May the Lord bless you. RIP.

Thank you for sharing this. My local community is mourning the loss this week of of two high school students in two days. One was the brother of my son's friend. One never knows how deeply another is hurting...

People Nicole didn't even know and would probably never meet were concerned enough about her to spend time reading articles, praying, and posting their thoughts, theories, and insights on this and many other online message boards. Many here feel true sorrow for her and her loved ones. There is no better example for the devastating ripple through time and space that suicide can cause. No matter how bad it gets, you have to believe it can get better. You have to hold on until the morning. And then do it again.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No truer words...it's a daily, even minute by minute, determined choice to keep on moving...

They will do tests so see if the note is written by her, but in this case there are so many things that point to suicide. I guess I´m not allowed to say anything about that here, but I think a lot of people who met the challenges that Nicole has met the last months would probably contemplate suicide themselves.

These rules are really confusing me, I´m sorry.
Anytime someone's words or deeds threatens someone's family life, future career plans and causes humiliation, a person could be driven to desperation and ultimately suicide. We have to remember to be kind to others and to understand that our actions and words can negatively impact more than just the person we might criticize or judge.

As always, I continue to hope that as we go forward, suicide becomes less and less of a stigma or embarrassment and is more openly discussed, especially with teens and young adults. From what reading I have done, cases have really increased in recent years.

http://www.befrienders.org/suicide-statistics

Third leading cause of death ages 15-44 :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam