VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #3 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really clueless about all this new technology. My daughter's a junior in college in a large city, and I remember when she first went away I was worried about subways and muggings and random crime. I don't think I once worried about who she might talk to on a phone app.
Me too.

I asked one of my children if she uses "KiK" and told her in general terms what happened to Nicole. I then asked her to explain to me how "KiK" works. She explained it to me, but I could not follow most of the techno terms and concepts she was using, and still have no idea how it works.

I gave her a safety talk and let her keep it. Though she would listen to me if I told her not to use Kik, I can see her chatting on I dont know... "Bic", "Tic" or "Tock", or some other real alternative site that I will not have heard of. Some times the devil you know is better than the one you dont know.

Investigators believe the college freshman suspected of killing her, 18-year-old David Eisenhauer, was having an "inappropriate relationship" with Nicole Lovell, according to a local CBS News station. She may have been killed because she was about to expose it, said a source.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/virginia-t...-death-by-older-boyfriend-she-met-kik-1541844

Nicole Madison Lovell was about to expose her relationship withDavid Eisenhauer before he allegedly stabbed her to keep her quiet, local TV station WTKR said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-neighbors-older-boyfriend-article-1.2518445

Detectives are looking at the victim's internet usage and have stated she was known to Eisenhauer before the day of her death.
They are checking how the victim came to be with Eisenhauer and have yet to reveal a motive.

[...]

Two Virginia Tech students have been charged in her death: David Eisenhauer and Natalie Keepers. The prosecutor says one of them, Keepers, will have her charge changed from accessory after the fact to accessory before the fact.
The prosecutor did not explain why the change was being made or give a motive for the slaying. She did not take questions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...remain-scarce-death-Virginia-13-year-old.html

Many of the SM apps allow kids to be "private" and only communicate with people they've accepted as followers/friends/etc. Kik does not have that option, and, it allows for users to be searched by age, and contacted blindly. It's been a known problem to my community of moms, and most haven't allowed it for some time. Now, certainly, the user controls the security measures on most other apps, so any app can be used for predators to contact kids, if their privacy settings aren't ideal.
We've seen that NL was active on many sites, and did not have any privacy controls, as she was looking for friends and interaction with others. Kik made it easy, but she was unsafe online in many places.

Investigators believe the college freshman suspected of killing her, 18-year-old David Eisenhauer, was having an "inappropriate relationship" with Nicole Lovell, according to a local CBS News station. She may have been killed because she was about to expose it, said a source.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/virginia-t...-death-by-older-boyfriend-she-met-kik-1541844

Nicole Madison Lovell was about to expose her relationship withDavid Eisenhauer before he allegedly stabbed her to keep her quiet, local TV station WTKR said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-neighbors-older-boyfriend-article-1.2518445

Detectives are looking at the victim's internet usage and have stated she was known to Eisenhauer before the day of her death.
They are checking how the victim came to be with Eisenhauer and have yet to reveal a motive.

[...]

Two Virginia Tech students have been charged in her death: David Eisenhauer and Natalie Keepers. The prosecutor says one of them, Keepers, will have her charge changed from accessory after the fact to accessory before the fact.
The prosecutor did not explain why the change was being made or give a motive for the slaying. She did not take questions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...remain-scarce-death-Virginia-13-year-old.html

The original source: http://wtkr.com/2016/02/03/nicole-l...ected-official-says/?response=correction-sent

Annie Andersen ‏@Annie_Andersen 1h1 hour ago
Tammy Weeks just arrived in court. @ABC13News

My guess is that DE met her very close to her house. A 13 year old walking alone at night might attract the attention of police patrols. Likewise, even 13 year olds with a set goal (meet "boyfriend"), might hesitate to walk alone at night to an area that they had never been to before.

DE, like most predators, probably wanted to make it very easy for her to meet him. No complicated instructions, no relatively long walks to strange places. Rather: "Just get out of your house and down the block or two. I will come to you".

It was noted earlier that they believe she was helped out of her bedroom window. Some have even speculated that it could have been DE that pushed a bedside table to block her bedroom door. Just an FYI.

Social media apps that appeal to tweens/teens, especially girls, need to be more exclusive and not inclusive. Teens need to have the 'you can't sit with us' mentality when it comes to social media and adding/texting people they don't know.

For example if the app of choice is Instagram, make sure the tween/teen is only friends with real life friends or relatives. If a good friend can vouch for a friend of theirs, then that should be fine, but a friend of a friend is the furthest I'd let it go. And keep the account private. Society as a whole (speaking in super broad terms, so I do not need a lecture) often conditions females from a young age to be overly nice, helpful, and trusting. Mix that together with a tween who desperately wants a boyfriend and it's not a good outcome.

There is nothing wrong online with keeping your circle of friends nearly the same as you have offline.

My guess is that DE met her very close to her house. A 13 year old walking alone at night might attract the attention of police patrols. Likewise, even 13 year olds with a set goal (meet "boyfriend"), might hesitate to walk alone at night to an area that they had never been to before.

DE, like most predators, probably wanted to make it very easy for her to meet him. No complicated instructions, no relatively long walks to strange places. Rather: "Just get out of your house and down the block or two. I will come to you".

Surely this guy is qualified for the Virginia death penalty?

I may be wrong, but I thought that I read that they swept for fingerprints on her dresser. I assume placing him in her apartment.

Virginia does have the death penalty and has carried out the 3rd most executions since 1970. I believe they would have to be charged with Capital Murder.

Both suspects had high career goals for themselves. I imagine a 13 year old girl exposing her relationship with an 18 year old boy with his reported goals would jeopardize his future career goals. He's smart enough to know his relationship with her was illegal and that exposure could possibly get him labeled as a sex offender. The female might have thought her career goals would be squashed too since she apparently knew about the relationship since early January.

I dunno. Just thoughts. It makes me sick to my stomach that Nicole got involved with these two.

Many of the SM apps allow kids to be "private" and only communicate with people they've accepted as followers/friends/etc. Kik does not have that option, and, it allows for users to be searched by age, and contacted blindly.

My general understanding is that a user needs to individually "accept" the incoming request to communicate. Is that true? Or, if say a friend has accepted person "P", then "P" can some how merge into any conversation that the "acceptor" is having with her friended user?

If she was pregnant, they would have had sex almost immediately upon meeting (Jan 4?) to know that on Jan. 27 and then confront him with that.

Just throwing it out there, but it's been done time and time again by girls with emotional issues, tend to get attached easily almost obsessive, which I think with young girls is common, although the severity ranges. She may have been "pregnant" but in reality said it out of desperation to have a form of control over DE. Anything seems possible at this point.

My general understanding is that a user needs to individually "accept" the incoming request to communicate. Is that true? Or, if say a friend has accepted person "P", then "P" can some how merge into any conversation that the "acceptor" is having with her friended user?
On most sites that's right - a person sends a request to the user to communicate, and has to be accepted. On some sites, it's just a request - on Kik, you can send a message to someone, whether they are one of your friends or not. They even have spam bots. Whereas, on Instagram, for example, if you make your account private, the user can't be contacted except as a request to follow. It's a small difference, but that, coupled with the ability to search, makes it easier to contact kids.

Today's kids were born in the age of technology. They are Internet natives. Preventing them from using social networking will ostracize them from their peers, and will not help them develop the skills they will need throughout their lives.

I was there as my daughter took her first real life steps and her first virtual steps...when she was scammed out of a precious item on a game, it was the equivalent of her first skinned knee in RL. She learned not to *lend* her items to people she did not know well, in the game, only fair trades please!

When she was bullied, to the point of tears, by another player, on her own Nintendo 3DS system, I was there beside her, with the tissues, as she learned to report, and block.

I have helped my daughter, as she grows up in both the real world and the virtual one. She needs the skills to navigate both, because as an adult, both will be very important in her life. I parent her the same in both realities.

I monitor, but I do not heicopter. I know her friend list by heart. When I see a new name, I ask," hey, I see you have added Jellybeanhead! Cute name! Where did you meet?"

"Oh she's from spain. She commented on my cartoon music video on you tube, and she's really funny!

We watch her videos together. I read the comments, and we talk about them.

Later on, I sleuth Jellybean head as per her communication with my child, and if nothing alarms me, jelly is added to my mental *ok* list.

I have seen my girl grow tremendously and I love her style!

Once a younger child made her first cartoon YouTube video and the child wrote , "I hope you all like my first video, I know I need to fix some things lol",and my daughter was the first to comment;

"It does need work, but I really appreciate you taking the time to try and make us all smile, so thank you!!"

The Internet is a fantastic wonderful place, where kids can travel the world, learning about other cultures, languages, or just meet up with their friends to hang out, creating stories, music, cartoons, videos. It is not Dantes Seven Circles.

I want to raise my child to be comfortable in her duel citizenship, she can be as safe online, as she is offline, it takes the same parenting skills, it's just the format that's different.

Social media apps that appeal to tweens/teens, especially girls, need to be more exclusive and not inclusive. Teens need to have the 'you can't sit with us' mentality when it comes to social media and adding/texting people they don't know.

For example if the app of choice is Instagram, make sure the tween/teen is only friends with real life friends or relatives. If a good friend can vouch for a friend of theirs, then that should be fine, but a friend of a friend is the furthest I'd let it go. And keep the account private. Society as a whole (speaking in super broad terms, so I do not need a lecture) often conditions females from a young age to be overly nice, helpful, and trusting. Mix that together with a tween who desperately wants a boyfriend and it's not a good outcome.

There is nothing wrong online with keeping your circle of friends nearly the same as you have offline.

:goodpost:and Off Topic:
This is what we required of our kids. They had to have personally met all SM friends and we (parents) had to either know their parents or the friend as well. Friends of friends were allowed, but we kept a close eye on those. I can think of 3 incidents where inappropriate things led to a discussion with one of them and unfriending occurred as a result. All 3 were people who were friends of friends.

It was noted earlier that they believe she was helped out of her bedroom window. Some have even speculated that it could have been DE that pushed a bedside table to block her bedroom door. Just an FYI.

Thanks. Though I respect that line of thought that she had assistance in leaving, I am thinking that predators are cowardly. DE would be taking a big chance by going into the house to assist her. I imagine that his arrival would be somewhat noisy and accompained by stage whispered conversations etc etc.

Though Nicole was heavy set, some heavy set children (and adults for that matter) can be surprisingly "light on their feet" and are nimble. Nicole could have had those attributes.

On most sites that's right - a person sends a request to the user to communicate, and has to be accepted. On some sites, it's just a request - on Kik, you can send a message to someone, whether they are one of your friends or not. They even have spam bots. Whereas, on Instagram, for example, if you make your account private, the user can't be contacted except as a request to follow. It's a small difference, but that, coupled with the ability to search, makes it easier to contact kids.
Thanks. I am going to make sure that my communicator has instagram set on "private" and that she keeps it there. I may still forbid her from "Kiking", but I am afraid that she will listen to me- and then set up an account on say "Talk'in" which is bacially a mirror of "Kik".

I guess I am wooried that there are so many alterntive sites, that it might be better just to give intense safety talks, rather than forbid "K" when there could be alternatives "A", "B" and "C" that offer the same level of insecurity.

Both suspects had high career goals for themselves. I imagine a 13 year old girl exposing her relationship with an 18 year old boy with his reported goals would jeopardize his future career goals. He's smart enough to know his relationship with her was illegal and that exposure could possibly get him labeled as a sex offender. The female might have thought her career goals would be squashed too since she apparently knew about the relationship since early January.

I dunno. Just thoughts. It makes me sick to my stomach that Nicole got involved with these two.

BBM... I agree. I think he wanted her to stop talking/communicating about him to anyone/everyone. JMO... He felt he had to shut her up.

NK wanted to please him, be his #1 gal... going so far as to "assist him" with Nicole.

I guess I am worried that there are so many alterntive sites, that it might be better just to give intense safety talks, rather than forbid "K" when there could be alternatives "A", "B" and "C" that offer the same level of insecurity.

I totally agree. All the banning in the world wouldn't be worth teaching a teen to be as aware and smart online as they would in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member