VA VA - Rawley Springs, WhtFem 20-30, 568UFVA, poss seamstress, 1964 coin, Heart-shaped nklace, Nov'80

I saw a lengthy list,notsure if i saw all of them. Recently came across cases of Darcy Brown and Charlotte Brown. The new rendition of Rawley Springs jane doe looks a lot like Charlottes photo. The list had Darcy as a rule out,but i didnt see Charlottes name listed.Can find very little info on Charlotte.

Last edited:
Could someone name the names that are on the discard list for this Jane Doe?

Last edited:
Saw about this case on Mysterious WV on Youtube. Just curious to know, since they claim they had her dna, if a familial dna had been done and what were the results? If not, why not? Any updates?

Saw about this case on Mysterious WV on Youtube. Just curious to know, since they claim they had her dna, if a familial dna had been done and what were the results? If not, why not? Any updates?
Quite a few of the does on NAMUS have DNA sample/profile is on file and supposedly they are automatically cross-compared with missing persons (if they have a DNA sample as well).

Others on here may be able to explain it better, but in order to do genetic genealogy, usually a fresh DNA extraction which can then be uploaded into the GED match tool is needed. Then from there it takes a team of genealogists, either volunteers (like DNA doe) or a paid organization (such as Othram or Parabon), to actually and go research all the familial connections and create the extensive family trees based on how close of a DNA match they were able to find. They then turn their findings over to local LE to follow up on any leads they were able to generate.

Hope that helps explain why we aren't "automatically" solving every UID.

From newspapers.com,

White female in her late teens or early 20s. Remnants of clothing were found.

The woman, about 22 years old, 5’0” and 110-125 lbs, had probably died violently about 15 years prior.

<modsnip: copyright/removed images of articles>

Last edited by a moderator:
Snip from article in post above.
Found about 100ft off the road a mile N or US33. The road parallels Kephart Run.
<modsnip: removed article image>

I believe the location was somewhere around the mappoint I inserted. Kephart Run is a stream.
1664248999001.png
I thought of nurse when I read some of the clothing found and in one of the articles that was suggested. One of the articles said "they" believed she died violently approximately 15 years ago, which is far greater than that posted in Namus (1976-78). Namus indicates pettipants (noted as a slip in other reporting) was located - pettipants are a slip with shorts/longer length shorts built in.

Attachments

• 1664248502129.png
    1664248502129.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Her killer likely went out in that very rural area to hide her body, but I think she was from a more metro area, not the immediate vicinity as she was never identified. The killer's remote grave worked to hide her remains for a time. Perhaps her clothing was for some special event she never came home from as was her jewelry and not everyday life. Perhaps not, of course, because as noted it was common to dress that way in the 1960s. But it was a thought that occurred to me reading about this case. The killer knew that remote area it would seem so I think she was somewhat local, but obviously not so much that she was ever identified. I hope she is someday.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to hear the detectives thought they'd likely never identify her. It sounds like they gave up on her when figuring it out wasn't easy.

The developers of FGG should win a freakin' Nobel Prize for breathing new life into those cases written off as impossible to solve. I hope this Doe is being worked on.

She well could be a seamstress or a hairdresser, but she could just have bad habits, like I do. I knit, daily, and I have a habit of biting off my yarn when I don't have scissors within easy reach. A couple of years ago, I realised I was starting to notch one of my middle incisors, so I try to remember to use scissors instead. I do... mostly. Last time I bit the yarn was yesterday. :D I knew it was the biting the yarn causing it, because I watch shows on archaeology, and there are wearpatterns, grooves and notches on the teeth of ancient remains going back a long, long time, associated with thread, wool, weaving, basketmaking and wickerwork, and many other tasks. Men used to get notches from pipes, once tobacco was brought over from the Americas to Europe. So yeah, she may have been a seamstress. Or she may have just had a bad habit of using her teeth as another set of hands, as humans have, forever, apparently.

MOO

Mary Patricia Fiano has been missing from Fairmont, WV (about 165 miles from Rawley Springs, VA) since approximately June of 1973. Charley Project profile: Mary Patricia Fiano – The Charley Project? Almost no information available on her. I think she has a resemblance to the composites, particularly the sketches of RSJD. At the time, she was 22 years old, 5’5” tall, had shoulder length brown hair, and hazel eyes. Thread: WV - Mary Patricia Fiano, 22, Fairmont June 1973.

568UFVA4.jpg
568UFVA5.jpg
568UFVA6.jpg

Reconstructions of the victim by the FBI

Date of Discovery: November 14, 1980
Location of Discovery: Rawley Springs, Rockingham County, Virginia
Estimated Date of Death: 1964-1979
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Suspected homicide

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 20-30 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'0-5'5"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Probably at least one prior childbirth.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available. Some restorations present. Dental work suggests that the person could have possibly been a seamstress. She could have possibly been a hairdresser, or possibly had some type of habit where she kept a bobby pin or pins in between her teeth.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: A silk slip, possible white stockings, garter straps.
Jewelry: Heart-shaped necklace.
Additional Personal Items: A 1964 coin.

Circumstances of Discovery​

The victim was located in a secluded wooded area, in the George Washington National Forest, off of Virginia Route 33 in Rockingham County, Virginia. The body was partially in a grave, and it was apparent that there was foul play involved.

This route is not a normal trucking route and runs through this county into West Virginia.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Western District Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Amy Tharp or Paul Yoakam
Agency Phone Number: 540-561-6615 (Tharp) or 757-683-8366 (Yoakam)
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: W1980-37420
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 6249

Information Source(s)​

NamUs
Washington Times
West Virginia State Police

LINK:

This young woman was found with a single coin dated 1964. The various write-ups do not state what denomination the coin was, or how worn it was, but here are photos of 1964 US coins then in circulation. Note that none of these images are to scale. They are: The copper cent, Nickel (five cents), Dime (10 cents), Quarter Dollar (25 cents), and Half Dollar (50 cents).

Value of 1964-D Dime | Sell and Auction, Rare Coin Buyers

In 1964 all production of 90% silver coinage was being discontinued because of the rising price of silver. The only coins containing silver would be the Kennedy half dollars dated 1965 to 1970, but even those coins only contained 40% silver. That year, the US mint introduced what is called the "clad coin" and dimes, quarters, and half dollars were made with a copper center, and silver alloy front and back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back