VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Pondering—- Scott’s murderer injured foot /leg /hamstring prior to the attack, causing the gait we see in the video. Scott’s murderer had surgery and was on medical leave from work, not able to go to the gym, etc. By the time the POI returned to his/her job and regular hang outs, the gimp,limp, odd stride was gone.
New to this case and just watched the surveillance video of suspect running/walking but the gait almost seems fake or exaggerated to me. I’m not a medical professional so would be interested to know a professional opinion. But at one point suspect almost seems to be walking “normal” (feet facing forward in a perpendicular fashion) and NOT pigeon toed? But perhaps it was just the angle.

There is no way the Police don't know who this is, they're looking for evidence to corroborate.
If the detectives do find evidence linking a suspect, what are the next steps?
Is a Grand Jury convened to determine if there is enough evidence to arrest a person?

I think of Scott’s family often and recognize the pain they have due to losing their son. They bumped the reward for information in the case a year or 2 ago.

<modsnip - posting info as FACT instead of clarifying it is OPINION ie IMHO/MOO etc. which is required on WS>

Last edited by a moderator:
New to this case and just watched the surveillance video of suspect running/walking but the gait almost seems fake or exaggerated to me. I’m not a medical professional so would be interested to know a professional opinion. But at one point suspect almost seems to be walking “normal” (feet facing forward in a perpendicular fashion) and NOT pigeon toed? But perhaps it was just the angle.
I went back and watched it a few times, and slowed it down as well, and I somewhat take this back. I think the part that didn't look terribly pigeon toed was more just the camera angle.

But if you look at the walk specifically from about :21 - :30ish it really seems like the person is limping. Would be interested to know if this gait is something that can naturally occur or if it is strongly indicative of a previous injury/surgery.

I am so late to hear about this tragic news. My sincere condolences to Scott’ family and friends. He sounds like a wonderful smart successful young man.

I’m curious why there isn’t much information on Scott and feel that would help to lead to an arrest or at least what was going on with him in the days before the murder.

Were there pictures of Scott’s girlfriend on display in the apartment? His bedroom perhaps, as I understand he shared this apartment which belonged to a relative with his sister.

When did Scott plan to take the Friday off before the MLK holiday in order to give himself an even longer weekend. This is a common occurrence in the workplace so no surprise there but curious if he planned it in advance or last minute?

The video released a year after the crime occurred doesn’t help much as memories fade. Why did LE wait that long to release video?

Wearing masks during COVID didn’t begin until around March 2020. Appears killer is hiding items in pants and trying to keep them from falling out and keep them in place.

Wonder if the killer changed shoes after the murder. Did killer put on a pair of Scott’s shoes or bring an extra pair? Something is not right about the shoes. Too big and soles too clean. Additionally, killer is wearing a rather expensive outfit from head to toes. Did killer purchase items exclusively for the murder?

Not sure I’m buying the pigeon-toed gait.

There must be more cctv that have not been released to date. This seems like a fairly solvable case. Curious what the hold up is?

Here we are 3 years (next month) later and nothing. I am hoping for a breakthrough in this case! All of this is IMO.

What causes pigeon toes in adults?​

Although pigeon toes usually go away on their own as you get older, certain conditions may cause pigeon toes that last into adulthood:

• Metatarsus adductus, when your toes point toward inward, giving your foot a “C” shape.
  • Femoral anteversion, when your thigh bone rotates inward from your hip.

I just searched the internet for news or updates over the last 12 months. Nothing except Reddit and one YouTube video that is probably not authorized to link here on WS. I still can't get over the fact that LE waited a year to release the video of a possible suspect.

Since i am here and also cannot find an update, re posting..
“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”
1679255166547.png
1679255377550.png
1679255404544.png

Since i am here and also cannot find an update, re posting..
“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”
View attachment 409970
View attachment 409972
View attachment 409973
Thanks for this.

There are a lot of questions but a couple bother me at the moment. One, in cases where the suspect is on video and might be in disguise - particularly Missy Bevers (definitely in disguise) and Elizabeth Barraza (disguise?) - there is online debate as to whether the suspect is a man or woman. HERE, LE seems sure this is not only a male, but a WHITE male. Does this rule out Latino, Asian or Arabic? Second, the last I read a key fob or card was required for entry to the front door. Barring something like a stolen or cloned card/fob, this person had to walk in behind another resident. That person is a witness. Of course, that might be the answer to my first question here if LE found that person. I wonder if the system records who enters and at what time and leads to possible witnesses.

Last year, WS allowed a video made by a former classmate, Sloan.

In it, Sloan describes how easy it is to enter the building without a problem. Security cameras were not working; some still covered in plastic they were so new. The AVA buildings housed 1000 residents. Dispatch said he was bleeding from his mouth, hands and neck with trauma to the chest.

My current theory is that it may have been someone with a grudge from his college, in general. In particular, perhaps it's a male from the Frat house or someone denied joining SChi or another type issue w/the frat, in particular. He served as VP of the Sigma Chi frat during his time at University.

In it, Sloan describes how easy it is to enter the building without a problem. Security cameras were not working; some still covered in plastic they were so new. The AVA buildings housed 1000 residents. Dispatch said he was bleeding from his mouth, hands and neck with trauma to the chest.

My current theory is that it may have been someone with a grudge from his college, in general. In particular, perhaps it's a male from the Frat house or someone denied joining SChi or another type issue w/the frat, in particular. He served as VP of the Sigma Chi frat during his time at University.

Thanks! I had seen this before, but it was good to see it again. This was probably where I first heard about the cameras inside not functioning and still had cellophane on them. What really makes this video one good is Sloan alleges he grew up with Scott and lived next to Scott's apartment complex. If this is true it really drives home some of the aspects of the murder.

I had not thought about a college connection and there is some logic to that theory since he wasn't that far removed his college time. That's not a pleasant thought as it is only 4 hours at this time of day from Radford to Arlington. And being a school that draws in students from all across the state this possible alumni could have been even closer in northern VA. So while locals are looking around for who might match, this person could be from, say, Staunton, Waynesboro, Culpepper and any other place in VA. Given the traffic exiting that area, I would imagine the killer was in their car no later than 2:00 to 2:30 if they came from outside the area.

I have to include that theory on my list. But I tend to believe it is someone closer geographically. Why do I think that? Because this person seemed to have knowledge of Scott's whereabouts that day and that he would be home and not at work. I do wonder that even though the killer was able to access the building he still had to get into Scott's apartment. So did Scott recognize him through a peep hole and let him in? Or did Scott open the door and the killer immediately over power him? One of persons interviewed by Sloan was 2 apartments away and was apparently unaware of the incident till later.

Scott was apparently not a drug user so that is very low if at all included on the list. Scott and his girl friend had an on and off relationship. So could this be related to someone Scott dated or had a one night fling with during one of the off times? The possibility that it was someone his sister, girl friend, family/friends know nothing about makes it difficult to ID the killer. I'd say work related in some fashion, but I would bet that was the first place LE went.

The person doing this in the middle of the day in Arlington seemed to baffle me at first. Then after watching it for the umpteenth time I noticed that this person is not really acting suspicious. Face forward, not glancing around and walking with purpose. IOW, acting like they belong there.

I think back to Navy security drills. Someone from the squadron or fleet staff would randomly select 3 or 4 of us from a ship. We meet a ranking member of that staff and they would take away our ID cards. We would instead be given a fake ID card with picture other than ourselves. For the one drill I participated in mine had a photo of a past president with his name and a fake ID #. We were to take that card and try to board another designated ship. Should we be successful we were to go to a critical part of the ship – CO’s cabin, bridge for example – and leave some sign we were there. I asked “How do you expect me to get past the quarterdeck watch with this?” The answer: just walk onboard like you belong, IOW just pretend you are boarding your own ship. 2 of the 3 us made it onboard with obvious fake ID’s. Just act you belong there.

It’s amazing how much see and ignore what might be out of place. Like this video about cycling.

Very helpful video. He seems like a decent guy who wants to see Scott's murder solved. The video and photos he took of the building and the area are very helpful.

I can't help but think the way LE handled the case in the beginning may have hindered their investigation. There was so little information released about the incident. They didn't even reveal that Scott was murdered for several days. Long enough for witnesses memories to fade, along with public interest. Also seems odd they didn't reveal the names of the 4 people who were in the apartment. It may not have helped generate tips from the public, but it seemed an unusual thing to do.

If someone asked LE to not speak to the news media about the murder for the first year after it happened, JMO, it really hurt their case. I also get the impression (apologies if I'm wrong) that LE didn't talk to a lot of the victims' friends, etc.

Last edited:
I continue to believe that someone will find information on the killer; stumble across something that “makes a friend” think /recall odd behavior around the time Scott died.
IMO
More than likely, the murderer has told someone something. As time passes, I hope that someone brings information forward or let’s LE know a “person’s alibi” was not true.
IMO

I continue to believe that someone will find information on the killer; stumble across something that “makes a friend” think /recall odd behavior around the time Scott died.
IMO
More than likely, the murderer has told someone something. As time passes, I hope that someone brings information forward or let’s LE know a “person’s alibi” was not true.
IMO
I agree. Among the high profile cases where there is CCTV footage (Liz Barraza, Missy Bevers, etc.), I think this case is is the closest to being solved.

I still think about this regularly and search the internet for updates, but nothing has happened much. I have heard rumors over the years from people I knew in Arlington when I lived there, but none of it is substantiated by anything.

At some point the police will need to show their cards as I suspect they are holding on to something. They have already proven unwilling to share evidence by holding onto security videos for a year, which was an incredible mistake or oversight. When LE or the friends/family finally talk, this one is ripe for some real media coverage.

What I find to be a touch odd is that there's never any vigil, annual marathon, a weekend to pass out flyers, annual fundraiser for Scott's favorite charity. Nothing. It's as if he's forgotten.

Well, Scott Ratigan is not forgotten. We remember he deserves justice. We continue to study the images of his killer in search of clues. We hear nothing from his family members so they are apparently comfortable allowing the PD to do their thing for 3.6 years.

No one should be murdered while inside their home where they should feel safest.

Please keep sharing Scott’s case and the surveillance video on social media, everyone! Especially Virginia / northern VA / DC social media pages (Reddit, FB groups, etc).

My opinion and theory only: Someone actually reached out to me recently about a social post I made a long time ago on this case. There are people with credible leads about this suspect out there. I suspect Arlington PD just needs more evidence, more people to come forward. Let’s get people talking!

It’s been way too long, but I am actually feeling a bit hopeful!

'2021
The Arlington County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate a homicide that occurred on January 17, 2020. Case # 2020-01170229. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back