VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

See I think still image looks somewhat feminine, but the actual video especially of them walking looks like a man.
And perhaps this is part of the psychology of why this man became a killer. Scott’s friends say he was the nicest, wouldn’t shame another guy or argue (top two reasons for non-drug, non-gang male on male killings). The killer was probably a very fragile person to get mad enough to kill a nice guy like scott. The “conflict” was more of an internal feeling of killer “not being man enough” than anything Scott did to be mean. Part of it may have been killer’s stature and ambivalent bod. The statistics put the most likely killer as an acquaintance in an argument. Men are much more likely to be killed by acquaintances than intimate partners. Just theorizing.

Hi all. I saw this posted in Ballston. Very timely - it only took Arlington County Police more than a year to put up flyers!
Been following this thread as I grew up in North Arlington and Ballston was my old stomping grounds and I had my first job in the nearby shopping mall (then called Ballston Common) , but hadn't even heard about this case till the recent video/stills were released. Granted I now live about 30 miles away but don't even recall hearing about it on the local news.
Anyway, I just was wondering if perhaps this flyer was put up by friends/family rather than ACPD since I noticed the word interest was spelled incorrectly. I do feel that they likely have a strong suspect in mind and are just biding their time till the suspect slips up somehow, and they can nab him. This reminds me so much of a murder from 2018 (John Giandoni) in Arlington that took what felt like forever to get solved, but ACPD eventually got their man!-- ETA, actually now that I reread the story on that one it only took ACPD fourmonths to solve that case.

Last edited:
Two random ideas:
- someone with a prosthetic leg might have that gait. I saw some suggestions of that in comments somewhere and kind of ignored. But then I was searching pigeon-toed on Twitter and a young fit veteran with prosthetic legs had posted about how after his walking workouts he gets all pigeon toed. So there could be something there. Especially with the observation that the pigeon toe suspect on the APD video might have gotten worse with time? and oversized shoes? No expertise here, just throwing it out there.

- could the POI be affiliated with someone Scott was seeing on a break from his girlfriend (her brother or her boyfriend or ex boyfriend or husband)? That might explain why the POI would know about Scott, but Scott’s friends, family/roommate, co-workers wouldn’t recognize the POI. Just brainstorming!

I agree with you. I’ve been watching this thread and this is my first time posting, this hits close to home, I’m a native Arlingtonian. Although I also see that the photo could be a woman with oversized shoes as others have stated. <modsnip> But this could be way off because it looks like Scott had a group of friends he hung out with consistently/frequently, some of who went to HS with him <modsnip>. As stated by others, the POI is likely an acquaintance of Scott or an ex/love interest of the GF.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also seen that pidgeon toed gait on someone that was horribly abused by a parent when they were a small child. Always walked with that gait as a teen and as an adult.

Very strange case.

I have to agree with everyone else who had the impression looking at the pictures this seems to be a female and looking at the video thinking this could be a male after all.

To me the hips on the picture are womanly, but the perp moves like a male.
Now this makes me think this could be a female who has overall manly traits.
Or could be a male with womanly hips. Not quite sure and both aren’t unheard of.
Somehow the shoulders seems womanly too.

The gait on the other hand seems to be very distinctive.
I like the idea of this could be someone with a prosthetic leg, it seems possible.
My other theory is that the right leg seems longer and that causes the strange curve to it which makes the gait so distinctive, or the hips and leg are in a strange position from an injury, disease or due to birth defect.

Altough people close to this person might not even see their faulty gait anymore because we tend to overlook strange qualities in our closest friends, there must be neighbors, acquaintances, coworkers, shop keepers, study mates who do recognize it.

@Orgona Agree something is up with the right leg, that's the very first thing I noticed as well.

Honestly, there is way too little information about the case to have any discussion. Two news articles in a year? Feels like everyone has their suspects and keeping quiet. Hopefully they will make an arrest soon.

I think everyone here is getting too caught up in the gait and what it means. Yes, the gait is distinctive, but sometimes people walk in different ways at different times, depending on their mood, posture, whether they're carrying something heavy, etc. Differences in the gait do not equate to this being pictures of two different people. Also, it would not make sense for this to be a woman. The APD already said Male, and they've been considering this for a year. Also, given the already present height difference between Scott and the attacker, it would be very difficult for a woman to overtake him.

My condolences to those affected by this tragic murder, and I hope the person who did this is swiftly brought to justice. My first instinct was a drug-motivated killing but assuming Scott's family and friends are being truthful about him not being involved in the drug scene, that should be ruled out. If Scott was involved with drugs it would certainly be known to his friends. If there was concern about post-death reputational harm, and family and friends suspected drugs, there would not be this push to find the killer (and the killer would probably already be known).

Here are my thoughts now:

The outfit, use of bleach, and overall "clean" killing all indicate a professional hit, or at least a hit by someone with some experience in this area. Others speculated about Scott being involved with foreign intelligence actors but I think its a bit more local, such as connections with a local gang.

I believe the key to this case may be in Scott's girlfriend at the time of this death. I do not mean to speculate that she was in any way a willful participant or conspirator in the murder, but I believe the motive may have had something to do with her. I have sincere and heavy sympathy for her loss.

Scott's friend in this message board mentioned the couple had been on and off for ten years and were currently on. Breaks in the relationship indicate there may have been a jealous male spurned by the girlfriend when her and Scott got back together. (Another possibility, although not aligned with my overall theory, is that Scott spurned a woman when he got back together with his long-term girlfriend, and that woman asked a male friend, brother, or professional hit man to get revenge on Scott.)

<modsnip>

Again, my condolences to everyone involved in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about motives in the case. I've pretty much ruled out random serial or thrill killer for obvious reasons - Scott was obviously targeted. So that leaves greed or jealousy in my book.

On the greed front, the circumstances of the case reminded me of the sad and horrible murder of tech startup CEO in NYC by his assistant, who he had given many opportunities to and then was taken advantage of for his generosity. The perp did not cover their tracks nearly as well as Scott's killer though.

Assistant of tech CEO found decapitated has been charged with murder - ABC News (go.com)

"The motive for the murder appeared to be a dispute over money. NYPD Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison said that Haspil owed Saleh a "significant amount of money." Police sources put the amount in excess of $100,000.

Detectives also recovered text messages between the two that indicated Saleh accused Haspil of stealing the money, sources said."

I'm not sure that at 24, and in a more traditional role at a pretty corporate gig, that Scott would have the prestige or money to trigger a killing like the one above, but you never know if a work rivalrly gone bad is possible. What gets me is that a young executive who kills for the first time is so unlikely to have the knowledge and foresight to have so carefully conceal their identity and plan what seems like a really meticulous crime. Most killers are not that careful or that smart. It seems almost like a hired hit, which I almost never lean to.

On the jealousy front, an ex- of the girlfriend seems like a definite possibility, with the same caveats as above. Doesn't seem like a rage killing, but if the individual always had dark fantasies about the perfect murder, it's possible.

The killer potentially heading towards the DARPA building certainly conjures up all sorts of dark net X-Files type scenarios, but given Scott's profession seems far fetched unless their is a secret connection. Again, getting into the realm of fiction here but certainly nothing would surprise me.

It's all just so baffling.

I think everyone here is getting too caught up in the gait and what it means. Yes, the gait is distinctive, but sometimes people walk in different ways at different times, depending on their mood, posture, whether they're carrying something heavy, etc. Differences in the gait do not equate to this being pictures of two different people.
RRSBM

Gait is something which is very difficult to consistently fake in different circumstances. The distinctly different movement will stay if you have that strangely positioned leg, the only difference is that under difficult situations like running or carrying something heavy it wil be even more exacerbated. As for this being 2 persons I don’t think anybody suggested that, but admittedly I might have missed some posts.

Also, it would not make sense for this to be a woman. The APD already said Male, and they've been considering this for a year. Also, given the already present height difference between Scott and the attacker, it would be very difficult for a woman to overtake him.
RRSBM
I understand APD is looking for a male, but because of the different appearance between the still and the video IMO this could just as well be a manly woman with an above the average strength.
Although, it all depends on the way the attack begon. If SR didn’t saw this coming and the first injury was already incapacitating enough, then big strength might not have been necessary for the rest.

I’m not stating that I’m convinced this person must be a woman, but it could be a possibility. This could also explain why LE can’t find the perp if they are expecting it being a male and the perp is not one.

Do I say this can’t be a male? No, I’m not saying that either. There is a great chance the perp is a male.

The use of bleach could be indicative of someone who at least watched a few crime shows.
The perp might have been hurt in the act and could just have been trying to clean up his/her own blood with bleach which they might have found there. They could have taken it there themselves of course, but not necessarily.

I think a professional killer would get in, do the job and get out, not taking extra risks by lingering around to get caught. There were more people living/staying there after all?

There is a gym in AVA. Did SR have a gym membership elsewhere?
If the ACPD was able to access SR’s cell phone and computer files, plus the cloud, the Detectives know more about the day of SR’s tragic murder. They may even be able to trace back weeks or months prior to 1/17/2019.

Has anybody asked: who is the guy in the "Scott Ratigan Radford university interview" video (the one where SR is seen holding a microphone and interviewing a younger guy who is wearing a blue sweatshirt)?

Is this a new video? I don't know anything about YT (or SM for that matter), and I'm no great sleuth, but I haven't seen this vid before. Did someone just put this out there (has it just been "planted")? If not, it seems there would have been lots of prior discussion about it here on the thread.

SR seems to already know the younger guy. It appears to be a planned / rehearsed video/interview. SR asks him what his name is, what he's going to be for about halloween ("a college student"), whether he's going to vote, etc. He says his name, but I can't make it out..

Seems to be about 5'7- or 5'8"... about 170lbs... wearing a North Face sweatshirt... an Under Armour hat... and a black backpack with a tag on the shoulder strap and a logo on the back..

It says the vid was "published on Nov. 16, 2016". Subscriber initials KO?

Jmo

Last edited:
JMO aside from total psychos, there are only two premeditated murder scenarios I have seen before that seem consistent with what we know about the victim and suspect.
  • Jealous man kills rival
  • woman recruits one of her admirers (or male family members) to kill current or ex intimate partner

There is a gym in AVA. Did SR have a gym membership elsewhere?
If the ACPD was able to access SR’s cell phone and computer files, plus the cloud, the Detectives know more about the day of SR’s tragic murder. They may even be able to trace back weeks or months prior to 1/17/2019.
I think I saw a gym further away held a memorial or something for him. Can’t remember where... maybe Anandale or sterling? Struck me as a small personal training, cross fit like club but not a chain name... not sure if he was going all the way out there to workout or not.

Could it be related to his time at Radford? The fraternity? Although it was before SR was a student there, I think there had been hazing accusations against Sigma Chi way back in '07.

And athough it doesn't appear that Sigma Chi was named as one of the four fraternities involved in the 2016 - 2017 hazing scandal (and the goat incident?) - could other frats have also been involved? The video (referenced in my previous post) was "published Nov. 16, 2016".

Could the killer have been somebody who had been hazed back then? Humiliated? Couldn't forget?

Could one of SR's former frat brothers, or somebody else from RU, or somebody from SR's social circle or family who perhaps knew something (or thinks they know something) be now leaving us a clue?

Just thinking out loud

Last edited:
And if he answered "be a college student" in response to the question: "what were you for Halloween..?) which was being asked in Nov. of 2016 - the guy in the blue sweatshirt was likely a freshman at RU at that time - and could have just pledged a fraternity

Jmo

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998