VA - Shooting Rampage, Appomattox, Christopher Speight, 17-19 Jan 2010

UPDATE 5:40 a.m.

APPOMATTOX — County schools here are closed this morning as law enforcement authorities prepare to make a more aggressive approach in the breaking daylight hours in the hunt for a suspected gunman in a multiple killing.

All four county schools are closed, Appomattox County Sheriff Wilson Staples said in a 5 a.m. news conference.

The suspect, Christopher B. Speight, 39, of Appomattox, is still on the loose. Eight people have been con firmed dead in the incident near Spout Spring.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Wednesday morning that authorities still believe they have Speight cornered in an area about two miles wide by 1,000 feet deep near where the shootings happened Tuesday. They have made no contact with Speight, who is believed to be armed with a high-powered rifle, Geller said.

Local, state and federal authorities are preparing to more aggressively pursue the suspect, Geller said.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/gunshots_heard_as_authorities_investigate_appomattox_county_incident/23294/

Comment from comment section of above article
Posted by rnkfarlow on January 20, 2010 at 12:25 am
First off, the guy with the gun in his hand is dyslexic, kinda hard for him to read. I used to work with him. He was always unbalanced, and extremely paranoid, especially of the government. You know the story. Unfortunately, something pushed him over the edge, and he’s extremely well armed, and has the knowledge of how to handle himself in tactical situations.

GGRRRRR - And Fox and Friends had stated just a couple of minutes ago that the gunman had not been captured yet and the area schools would be closed today!

So, was he captured or not?

Thanks, wadahoot. We posted at exactly the same time!

CNN reporting that he has turned himself at this time, what ever that might have involved, no further information given really.

He was wearing a bullet proof vest. ~sighs~
Wonder if it was planned. ~shakes head~

<snip>

Appomattox slaying suspect may have left bombs near house
Authorities still do not know the motive for the shooting or how the suspect was related to the eight victims.

APPOMATTOX -- Bomb teams searched Wednesday for explosive devices that may have been planted by a man accused of shooting eight people to death, then firing at a police helicopter before surrendering after a night in dense woods.

Authorities earlier said Speight had a high-powered rifle and Staples said investigators believe he had weapons training based on the weapons found in his home, though they have no information to indicate he was in the military.

Speight's uncle, Jack Giglio of Tampa, Fla., said his nephew was a deer hunter, though as far as he knew Speight did not have any specialized weapons training.

"We're shocked, of course," Giglio said. "I'm not aware of any problems with him. It's kind of out of the blue. We're still trying to pick up facts too."

Giglio said he hadn't seen Speight since 2006, when they both attended the funeral for Speight's mother, who died of brain cancer.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233632

From Oceanblueeyes' link:
Anderson said Speight talked to her husband Saturday night about an apparent family dispute involving the home, which was left to Speight and his sister after his mother died.
Speight’s address, 3030 Snapps Mill Road, was listed for sale in 2009, in Yahoo.com’s real estate ads. The building was listed as a three-bedroom, three-bathroom home, sitting on 34 acres of wooded land.
(bbm) http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/New...te_appomattox_county_incident/23294/#comments

From Oceanblueeyes' link:

So if this was a family dispute over the home and land then why did he murder his wife and son?

I do know that disputes over property can become very dangerous for all parties involved.

It reminds me of the case here years ago where a guy in Mississippi, iirc, was cut out of his adopted father's Will and he murdered the man who was given the property, his wife and their 4 year old child too.

imo

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=262222783532&ref=mf#/profile.php?v=info&id=1365462297

One of his victims. Please pray for my aunt's family.
He was just visiting his girlfriend Em.

I am so sorry to you. :(
He looks like a nice young man who had a lot of life ahead of him.
So senseless.

Through his girlfriend's page, I saw that 4 people were confirmed amongst the dead, including the victim you listed above
I haven't seen an official list of those who died, so I'll refrain from posting the names right now but it does seem like two teenagers and 6 adults. :(

Why??
Just crazy.

I have you and your aunt's family in my thoughts and prayers.

his wife, sister, brother in law, twin boys, a girl, a teenaged boy, and the man they found in the ditch... heard it was over some land??

"We did some digging in the records and found out that last year he filed paperwork for a renewal of a concealed weapons permit and it was approved. He also filed for permits in 2004 and 1999.

Investigators say he was acquainted with the victims and he had lived at the residence where the murders took place. He co-owns the house and the land adjacent to that residence.

We've also found out there is no significant record of him in the Appomattox County court system - just a speeding ticket from more than ten years ago."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/wtvr-appomattox-police-shooting,0,5930825.story?track=rss

I think this is his mother's obituary from 2006.... the one who owned the land that is being thought of as part of the dispute:

"Appomattox, Virginia -- Susan Giglio Gramelt, 61 died Monday, Dec. 18, 2006 in Marietta, Ga.,

Born in Allentonwn, Pa., Oct. 18, 1945, she was the daughter of John S. and Violet Hathaway Giglio of Virgina Beach.

Susan was a teacher at Appomattox Middle School for 17 years.
She was a member of Kingdom Hall, Rustburg.

In addition to her parents she is survived by he son, Christopher Bryan Speight of Appomattox: a daughter, Lauralee D. Sipe and son-in-law, Dwayne Sipe, of Marietta, Ga; and two brothers, Jack Albert Gilglio and Thomas S. Giglio.
"

http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/hathaway/Giglio.html

A Facebook memorial has begun and 5 of the victims have been named. I also saw on another page two other victims names. Still trying to figure out the 8th person and their relation to the shooter.

Here's the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=262222783532

Next of kin have been notified in the case of two of the teenagers, as their family posted their names on a Facebook page.
I am still not going to post their full names yet until the press does but it's very sad and this shooting rampage was so very unnecessary.

Initials of those victims I have for sure:
EQ (friend of MD, unsure of relationship to shooter)
JQ (father of EQ?)
KQ (mother of EQ?)
BS (boyfriend of EQ, friend of MD)
MD (possibly niece of shooter)
LSD (just added -- possibly sister of shooter)

Just wanted to give a little more information that is not being reported in the news for obvious reasons at this time. I live in Appomattox, everyone knows everyone here. 3 of those killed were good friends of my nephew. Among the dead are 3 teenagers, one 3yr old, and 4 adults. These are not all family members. I'll try and explain the best that I can. The shooter (cowardly monster) lived in a home with his sister, his sisters 15yr old daughter (Morgan) from a previous marriage, his sisters new husband and his sisters 3 year old fathered by her new husband. He shot and killed all of them. The other family consisted of a mother, father, 15 year old daughter (Emily) and her boyfriend 15 year old (Bo) All of the schools were out for teachers work day yesterday, Morgan, Emily and Bo are close friends with each other. Morgan and Emily were on the phone with each other when Morgan invited Emily and Bo to come over to the house. Because none of the teens are of driving age yet, Emily's Mom and Dad carried Emily and Bo over to Morgans home. They arrived at Morgans home (where the shooting occurred) approx. 30 mins from their phone conversation. When they arrived, they were not aware a shooting was going on or had just occurred in the home obviously, when they were getting out of the car the shooter (Chris Speight) opened fire on them, killing all but Bo instantly. Bo was found by a postal worker delivering mail to that address, still barely alive laying in the road with a gun shot to the head. He never made it to the hospital and was pronounced dead on the way. Right now, the area is still locked down, because it is reported here on the news that authorities have reason to believe the shooter may have planted explosive devises in and around the home, also in the wooded area he hid in through the night...this is why the coroner is still unable to retrieve the bodies as of 9:30 am this morning. They have been in the home to confirm casualties, families of deceased have been notified and confirmed, but they can't remove them until the area is deemed safe and free of explosives...this is all I have for now, will update as news comes in. This is really the most horrible thing that has ever happened here, it's devastating. All of these teens were happy go lucky, very good kids and all of them were looking forward to taking their behind the wheel class with Bo's beginning next week. How anyone could snuff the life out of these kids and that precious 3 yr old boy is beyond comprehension. I did not know the shooter well at all, only knew him as one of our customers who we found to be very friendly and easy to work with...we never got the impression he was weird or different in any way. His family members were all just as wonderful, so it seems so bizarre to us that he was really a wacko monster type...guess you just never know these days.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back