GUILTY VA - Suzanne "Suzie" Fairman, 53, found asphyxiated in bath tub, Richmond, May 2019 *Arrest*

I just happen to be checking 'Crimes in the News' and I came across this. I haven't heard about this and it is over a month ago. Through Google searches I saw her Twitter page and she appears to be someone into jogging, exercise and eating healthly. But nothing high risk and her area of Richmond - west side opposite side of James River - doesn't appear to be bad neighborhood. No news that anything was stolen, so no robbery. I wonder if this was someone she knew.

As for very little in the press there was a murder of a lady a few miles to the south of there a few months ago. She was found stabbed to death in an alley and it received very little coverage by LE or the media.

I think you’re referring to Dawn West—there’s a thread on here for her. At least the family got some closure in that case when the perp was arrested. Hope the same will soon come to pass for this woman’s grieving family!

Could the reason for the silence be that police have a strong suspect (e.g.: boyfriend) but simply not enough evidence to go forward? Maybe family and friends have been discouraged from being vocal because that can interfere with the integrity of the investigation?

I think you’re referring to Dawn West—there’s a thread on here for her. At least the family got some closure in that case when the perp was arrested. Hope the same will soon come to pass for this woman’s grieving family!
Yes, I believe that is the case I'm thinking of. LE was very silent on the case and then a while later (4-5 weeks?) released a photo taken from a surveillance camera footage that showed her walking with someone else and they wanted the public to see if they recognized the person. But here we aren't hearing much of anything from LE or the media.

I've never heard a boyfriend mentioned or that it was someone who knew her. Surely, police haven't told everyone that knew her they aren't allowed to be vocal. It's been 3 months. Either they have someone or they don't. Dead silence...I don't get it.

I've never heard a boyfriend mentioned or that it was someone who knew her. Surely, police haven't told everyone that knew her they aren't allowed to be vocal. It's been 3 months. Either they have someone or they don't. Dead silence...I don't get it.
Playing the odds the vast majority of murder victims are killed by someone they know so we wouldn't be far of line speculating on that point. That said, I've not heard a thing about a boyfriend OR an ex-boyfriend. (A co-worker who is an unnamed suspect OR LE doesn't suspect?) Could this be a stalker?

Perhaps it could be a stalker. I hadn't heard about a co-worker who is an unnamed suspect or LE doesn't suspect...but I don't have VCU ties. I'm thinking there'd be a digital trail or a phone pinging trail that would have linked him/her by now. Perhaps she engaged in meeting up with strangers from dating sites? The scene, as released, is what perplexes me. I wonder if it wasn't staged like a suicide. With the blood on the knife being her own...but left on the counter which is odd. In a tub facedown with the water running...but death from asphyxia. Cord and a bandana on the search warrant. I hope there is an arrest soon.
Could this be a stalker?

Last edited:
AzPistonsGirl After autopsy, LE released it was murder and she died by asphyxia...but was in a tub with the water running...with a bloody knife on the counter.

please know I am just brainstorming as to why this has not gotten much coverage... probably not at all likely, but any way this is suicide?

Last edited:
I haven't heard any mention of dating apps on way or the other. On her social media pages photos it mostly shows herself or with her son and grandchildren. Don't know if she was even dating. She posted a lot about recipes and healthy lifestyles, nothing I saw about dating or relationships....but, of course, that doesn't mean she wasn't using them.
Did she use dating apps?

Search warrant attached
Interesting. The computer, swabs, bedding, knife and cell phones I can see. But gloves (winter or driving gloves OR latex gloves?), tablets (paper or tablet computers?), bandana and cord? I find it interesting that they found 3 computers. Now I have 2, but 1 is my old computer that doesn't work anymore and doesn't have a hard drive. And cell phones, plural. This is interesting.

This happened in May and W/S is just hearing about it?!

Too long for it to have been kept so quite in Richmond!

Where are her girlfriends, co-workers, special friend? Why didn’t or hasn’t one of them raised a ruckus?

Who called LE for a welfare check? That person may be the one who has the most knowledge about her. Not saying they are responsible for her murder, it just appears no one is stepping out to do anything (that we are aware of).

Likely...but why not throw the bloody knife in there too? Multiple reports stated it was on a nearby counter in the bathroom. I wonder if maybe a suicide was staged in which after strangling her...her wrists were slit to make it look like a suicide...in which the murderer started the water running but didn't want to wait for tub to fill? Weird the knife would be left on counter and not at tub though. Perhaps she used the knife on someone else and was put in tub after being strangled? But why not throw knife in tub then too? It's a very disturbing crime.
water gets rid of evidence??

someone should ask local media why it isn't getting ANY coverage. so maddening. it's so pick and choose, it seems, whose cases get MAJOR coverage and whose don't. if it was my family member I would be FURIOUS.

I just emailed the 3 big news stations:
Hi, I am wondering if it would be possible to get some sort of an update on the Suzanne Fairman murder investigation?? She was murdered in May and there has been zero coverage on this case since then. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could do some digging and find out what is going on with the investigation. I'd like to know if there is a murderer on the loose in Richmond and if LE is doing anything to find that person.

Gave my email address and phone number as well, I'll let yall know if I hear anything back.

I heard back from one. I assume they will all respond the same way (if at all) but she forwarded me an email she got from LE "Major Crimes does not have additional information to release at this time"
Unbelievable.
I'll let yall know if the other two stations find out anything else. Such a bummer

I heard back from one. I assume they will all respond the same way (if at all) but she forwarded me an email she got from LE "Major Crimes does not have additional information to release at this time"
Unbelievable.
I'll let yall know if the other two stations find out anything else. Such a bummer
If they really wanted to, there is a story right there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back