GUILTY VA - Suzanne "Suzie" Fairman, 53, found asphyxiated in bath tub, Richmond, May 2019 *Arrest*

If they really wanted to, there is a story right there.

Right??? The reporter I heard back from does the "CBS Problem Solvers Investigation" so I'd think this would be right up her alley

For wric channel 8 I emailed the 8News Investigates team which says this:
Do you see news happening where you live?
Do you know of a situation 8News should investigate?
Are you dealing with a consumer issue?
8News will work to get answers for you: fill out the form below to send your information to our 8News Investigates team.

For nbc12 I emailed the Assignment Editor "email your questions about news stories, news policy, and story ideas"

Still nothing from the 2nd two, maybe they're actually working on it??? Fingers crossed

Suzie was my stepmom for many years. She and my father divorced quite awhile ago and I lost touch. I just wanted to thank you all for wanting to keep this in the forefront and make sure no one forgets what happened and that no one has been arrested.

Suzie was my stepmom for many years. She and my father divorced quite awhile ago and I lost touch. I just wanted to thank you all for wanting to keep this in the forefront and make sure no one forgets what happened and that no one has been arrested.

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope your father is doing alright. We're so glad you joined us here! Unfortunately there's not much discussion going on about Susie, we just don't really know anything. I'm sure it's very upsetting and frustrating to see the lack of reporting. My current theory is LE (law enforcement) knows who did this and are laying low waiting for that person to slip up. Or just waiting to build their case a little stronger before making an arrest. I would like to think if they had nothing, no clue who murdered Susie, then they would be more forthcoming with information and making appeals to the public for more information. As difficult as it is, I think all we can do at this point is sit and wait for an announcement of an arrest.

For those of you wondering, there have been no updates as of yet. More about her; she was an amazing woman, she lived alone and had 1 son who does live in NC, he was away training with the military when this happened. She was very active with physical fitness and eating/living healthy. She lived in what is thought to be a very safe neighborhood where all the neighbors know one another.

From the new reports that have been released; you are correct, there was no sign of forced entry or a struggle in the house... many unanswered questions that we are all waiting on.

Hoping they are able to solve this case soon!!!

The crickets on this case still disturb me. Not just from law enforcement. I hadn't seen in any news reports that there wasn't a struggle, only that law enforcement said that there wasn't forced entry during local community group updates. Perhaps I missed that. As to the neighborhood...it's within city limits and Richmond has had murders this year, perhaps they are backed up. The lot was wooded w/ plenty of places to hide. I also wouldn't exclude someone in the neighborhood as her murderer or someone who parked over at the rec center behind her and entered her back yard through Mariliea Rd. Map attached. My theory is whoever it was travelled to her house on foot or bike, perhaps with a bag. It seems likely to me that placing her in the tub with the water running and a bloody knife on the counter was an attempt to hide the manner of her death...someone had time and a car in the driveway would have been risky.

Which leads to everyone says what an amazing woman she was ...so why would anyone want her dead? I haven't heard any mention of anything stolen. Health and fitness activities don't tend to attract enemies. Neither does working at VCU. Perhaps she was involved in activities that haven't been made public? I would think if she was killed by someone who knew her well...that person would have known that alarms would be raised when she didn't show up on FL.

Anyone got any theories?

Attachments

• tanglewood map.jpg
    tanglewood map.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6
Agreed. This wasn't someone who no one noticed or didn't have family. I understand everyone reacts to grief differently, but there was a flurry of people memorializing her when she was found. I haven't seen anything in the paper or on social media from any of her friends, VCU or her son seeking justice or answers. Her son was doing press interviews and vocal on social media after she was found. Perhaps grief is too strong for him. How does the murder of someone who was seemingly so loved just get dropped so quickly? It's downright strange.
Remembering Suzie Fairman – Academic Learning Transformation Lab

I also find it a little odd that VCU isn't more vocal about Suzie's murder- pressing for answers or keeping her name out there.

ETA: that being said, the above link is a very nice tribute I haven't seen linked here yet

Last edited:
Agreed. This wasn't someone who no one noticed or didn't have family. I understand everyone reacts to grief differently, but there was a flurry of people memorializing her when she was found. I haven't seen anything in the paper or on social media from any of her friends, VCU or her son seeking justice or answers. Her son was doing press interviews and vocal on social media after she was found. Perhaps grief is too strong for him. How does the murder of someone who was seemingly so loved just get dropped so quickly? It's downright strange.

That's what makes me think that there's more going on behind the scenes than we're aware of. Honestly that's the only way I can wrap my head around this is to think a lot is being done, we just aren't aware of it at the moment.

That's what makes me think that there's more going on behind the scenes than we're aware of. Honestly that's the only way I can wrap my head around this is to think a lot is being done, we just aren't aware of it at the moment.

That's the only idea that makes sense.

The lack of public appeal leads me to believe they don't need tips.

I think we will see an arrest in the next 3/4 months.

I don't think we can infer that LE needs no tips. It could be they've done extensive investigative work but run out of viable leads. It's not like they can devote massive resources to one case indefinitely. Or force the media to cover the story month after month. Sure, we'd like to think LE is closing in on a suspect. Like so many other murder cases, though, this one may go unsolved.

From the article linked to earlier:

“The Richmond Police Department has been more than phenomenal,” said Scott, as detectives are still asking community members to come forward if they have any tips on the case. “We need any information at all... no matter how minute it may be."

“After speaking with family members, detectives hope providing a photo of Ms. Fairman will prompt people to come forward with any information they may have on this case.” said Major Crimes Captain James Laino in a release. “Any information, no matter how small the detail may be, could assist in solving this case.”

Agreed Sumozero. Richmond has had no shortage of murders this year. I'm sure they are busy. Usually I see family and friends keeping a case in the public eye to keep police attention on it, even if there is a lot we don't know going on behind the scenes. There isn't.

This case has some strong similarities to the Julia Niswender murder over six years ago in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I am going to alert Julia’s family to Suzie’s case. You never know...

Amateur opinion and speculation

That's interesting about Julia Niswender. Suzie's crime scene has been so unlike anything I've heard about before. I read up on the case here:
COLD CASE | The Disturbing Murder of Julia Niswender

I'm not saying I think it's the same person. I see in this case the stepfather was a person of interest but from what I quickly read there was a lot excluding him. No DNA tying him. The manner is similar though, in that it feels the death was staged and perhaps staged to appear to be someone else? Similarities:

1) No forced entry. Both found after a wellness check.
2) Expensive electronics not missing in both cases. Suzie's search warrant shows computer and tablets. Julia's had drawers overturned...unknown in Suzie's case.
3) Both found face down in bath tub with death by asphxiation. Julia's was asphyxiation associated with drowning, but autopsy revealed she had oxygen cut off prior to being in the tub. Julia's cell phone found underneath her in tub. Unknown where Suzie's cell was. Water was still running in Suzie's case. No mention of it in Julia's case.
4) Julia was bound in tub. Unknown if Suzie was. Julia showed ligature marks that she had previously been bound with ligatures not found. Unknown if Suzie was but search warrant called out rope.
5) Cutting instrument to remove ligatures from Julia not found. Bloody knife found on Suzie's bathroom counter. I had assumed this was a poor attempt to stage a suicide...with the water left running. BUT now I wonder if the blood was her's from when possible ligatures were cut off. Why leave the knife? Perhaps it already had someone else's prints to stage it or was wiped?
6) 2 latex gloves found at Julia's scene entertwined with her blood in them. Gloves on Suzie's search warrant. 2 different DNA samples found in Julia's gloves. Police indicate this could have been intentionly left to mislead the crime scene, and it's not uncommon for them to see that.
7) Pillowcase removed from home in Julia's case. Suzie's bedding was on search warrant. Police stated they didn't think the initial crime took place in bathroom in Julia's case. Unknown in Suzie's.

This case has some strong similarities to the Julia Niswender murder over six years ago in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I am going to alert Julia’s family to Suzie’s case. You never know...

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing this, I have noticed some similarities as well. Lots of unanswered questions in this case. It says Suzanne died from asphyxiation, found in a bathtub face down. But never mentions if there were any stab wounds or cuts on her body?

Was SF seeing anyone at the the time of her murder and/or had she recently ended any relationships?

We all know the statistics.

JMO.

Dissmeguys....all investigators released was there was a bloody knife on the bathroom counter. Autopsy revealed she died from asphyxiation, manner homicide. Nothing has been released if she had stab wounds. Or that blood was her's. I would think if it wasn't, the murderer would have taken the knife so DNA couln't be matched. I have no insider info btw and didn't know her.

GordianKnot, No mention of her seeing anyone has been released if she was. She lived alone and was active in community and social media. No photos I saw of her with a romantic interest or referencing it. Doesn't mean she wasn't though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back