GUILTY VA - Vanessa Pham, 19, found murdered, Fairfax County, 27 June 2010

I am really concerned about this being the RT 29 stalker. Really.

If this was an attempt at an abduction and she was pulled off the over by someone like how the RT29 Stalker pulled his victims over he would have only had a few minutes before Vanessa knew she was in trouble it also would explain why it was only a few minutes.

http://www.skcentral.com/news.php?readmore=587

Here is an article about Darrell Rice who was convicted of some of the crimes linked to the Route 29 stalker. He was released in December 2009 and is living in Howard County, Maryland. There have been articles about neighbors concerned with his presence in their area.

One of my biggest questions is if they have DNA from the Vanessa Pham crime scene. It would say a lot about who we are looking for.

I never thought Darrel Rice was the RT 29 stalker.

In jan 96' someone tried pulling me over the same way lots of other woman had gotten pulled over I didnt stop. I still dont think the rt 29 stalker was Darrell Rice. I wouldnt be able pick anyone out of a line up but the person that tried pulling me over had lighter hair and was fatter.
And was not driving a little blue truck.

Did anybody else realize that where her car was found was not on the exit ramp off of Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard heading East) -- but rather, off of another exit ramp that leads to a medical building parking lot? So in other words, when Vanessa and her killer left the parking lot of the shopping center where she got her eyebrows done -- and took a right turn onto Gallows... then they would have crossed over Route 50, but didn't immediately take a right turn onto the ramp leading down to Route 50 (physically impossible), but instead would have had to of gone a bit further, past some office buildings, and then taken a right turn into a medical office building complex, into the parking lot, driven around the office buildings and then around towards the front where they (or she?) would have then gone left past the "wrong way" signs onto a different ramp and then over the curb.

I mention this because that area behind the office buildings there -- there's a little cul-de-sac parking area where it's possible the car could have stopped momentarily and a fight could have happened, and then the attacker could have fled from there....

anyway, just wanted to bring that up that the car took a more circuitous route than the news accounts would have us believe -- just due to the way the roads are constructed around there. Does anybody reading this work in that medical office complex right there at Gallows and 50 - and may have seen that white Scion driving around there on the 26th?

Did anybody else realize that where her car was found was not on the exit ramp off of Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard heading East) -- but rather, off of another exit ramp that leads to a medical building parking lot? So in other words, when Vanessa and her killer left the parking lot of the shopping center where she got her eyebrows done -- and took a right turn onto Gallows... then they would have crossed over Route 50, but didn't immediately take a right turn onto the ramp leading down to Route 50 (physically impossible), but instead would have had to of gone a bit further, past some office buildings, and then taken a right turn into a medical office building complex, into the parking lot, driven around the office buildings and then around towards the front where they (or she?) would have then gone left past the "wrong way" signs onto a different ramp and then over the curb.

I mention this because that area behind the office buildings there -- there's a little cul-de-sac parking area where it's possible the car could have stopped momentarily and a fight could have happened, and then the attacker could have fled from there....

anyway, just wanted to bring that up that the car took a more circuitous route than the news accounts would have us believe -- just due to the way the roads are constructed around there. Does anybody reading this work in that medical office complex right there at Gallows and 50 - and may have seen that white Scion driving around there on the 26th?

BBM
Yes, I agree. That's one of my theories as well!
I posted some maps of the area earlier:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA- 19 yr old homicide victim found in car

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA- 19 yr old homicide victim found in car

I'm thinking the perp has got to be in the car when Vanessa exits the parking lot. Waiting 45 seconds at the exit of the parking lot seems far too strange especially when there appeared to be plenty of opportunity to exit earlier within the 45 seconds.

i too am liking the theory that the attack may have been personal, but the only problem I have with that is that the shopping centre seems to be out of the way, unless Vanessa met this person at the shopping centre.

After watching her student council video, this murder is hard to accept as Vanessa appears to have plenty of personality.

BBM
Yes, I agree. That's one of my theories as well!
I posted some maps of the area earlier:

Thanks for that map! So the road I was thinking of is Willow Oaks Corporate Drive... which you can see in your map -- so the accident site was a little bit past the end of that parking lot - the lower-right corner of that parking lot as you're looking at your map... see that little road that leads out of that parking lot? Her car hopped the curb there and came to rest in the ditch a little ways down that road, not the main off-ramp that's below that one and leads up to the Gallows Road Bridge.

I'm thinking the perp has got to be in the car when Vanessa exits the parking lot. Waiting 45 seconds at the exit of the parking lot seems far too strange especially when there appeared to be plenty of opportunity to exit earlier within the 45 seconds.

I agree with this!

I really hope the police can hurry up and solve this tragic case. I'm sure they're trying their best and it's difficult, but the sooner the better!

Welcome to Websleuths tennisguy and bmg1112!!

I wonder if there are any survellience cameras in that office building parking lot.

I am really concerned about this being the RT 29 stalker. Really.

If this was an attempt at an abduction and she was pulled off the over by someone like how the RT29 Stalker pulled his victims over he would have only had a few minutes before Vanessa knew she was in trouble it also would explain why it was only a few minutes.

In March (I can find the actual date through email messages if needed), an older green (not manufacturer green, but aftermarket paint of some sort) SUV tried to get me to pull over on 29N in the same area and when I didn't, tried to run me off the road into a ditch. I have a smaller car and it wouldn't have been good.

I braked very hard, swerved around the SUV and then hit the gas, flooring it and praying a cop would pull me over. No cell service in that area on 29 and I have both nextel and at&t phones for emergencies. Absolutely NO license plates on the vehicle. I think it was one of the first generation chevy SUV's.

The officer and I lost connection about 10 times and we kept calling each other back. I was very impressed with how seriously they took it...only because I'm from Miami and that sort of thing has happened to me once before (live in VA, though). A relative made me call police, telling me it could be very important for them to know in case any other crimes have occurred (her son is in LE in VA). You'd think as a WS member I would have, but I just wanted to get home first. Glad I called now. Had never heard about the 29 stalker until a I got home - I just moved to VA last year. Family was shaken.

I gave them the best description I could...don't know if I should post it here.

This is eerily similar...although I wasn't in a parking lot. I will go over my bank statements for that day as well and see if I stopped anywhere on 29. Interesting.

(Another thing - I look a lot younger than I am. When I thought about that event the next day, I guessed the person must have assumed I was young and would have pulled over, assuming something was wrong with my car. He pointed at me/my car but I'm not sure why. I knew nothing was wrong, first off - I've been driving quite a long time...and secondly, I wouldn't pull over until my car wouldn't go any further in that situation.)

Hoping this helps in any way, although the police already know about it, I think the public should, too.

Edited to remove description of person driving the vehicle (i'm not sure if that would jeopardize their investigation)

In March (I can find the actual date through email messages if needed), an older green (not manufacturer green, but aftermarket paint of some sort) SUV tried to get me to pull over on 29N in the same area and when I didn't, tried to run me off the road into a ditch. I have a smaller car and it wouldn't have been good.

I braked very hard, swerved around the SUV and then hit the gas, flooring it and praying a cop would pull me over. No cell service in that area on 29 and I have both nextel and at&t phones for emergencies. Absolutely NO license plates on the vehicle. I think it was one of the first generation chevy SUV's.

The officer and I lost connection about 10 times and we kept calling each other back. I was very impressed with how seriously they took it...only because I'm from Miami and that sort of thing has happened to me once before (live in VA, though). A relative made me call police, telling me it could be very important for them to know in case any other crimes have occurred (her son is in LE in VA). You'd think as a WS member I would have, but I just wanted to get home first. Glad I called now. Had never heard about the 29 stalker until a I got home - I just moved to VA last year. Family was shaken.

I gave them the best description I could...don't know if I should post it here.

This is eerily similar...although I wasn't in a parking lot. I will go over my bank statements for that day as well and see if I stopped anywhere on 29. Interesting.

(Another thing - I look a lot younger than I am. When I thought about that event the next day, I guessed the person must have assumed I was young and would have pulled over, assuming something was wrong with my car. He pointed at me/my car but I'm not sure why. I knew nothing was wrong, first off - I've been driving quite a long time...and secondly, I wouldn't pull over until my car wouldn't go any further in that situation.)

Hoping this helps in any way, although the police already know about it, I think the public should, too.

Edited to remove description of person driving the vehicle (i'm not sure if that would jeopardize their investigation)

The guy that tried to pull me leaned foward and pointed to the back of my car .
That what I remember most about it was all the pointing. I cant even explain how exaggerated it appeared to me too eager maybe??
I wrote a complete detailed account of what happen but decided not to post that and just write the shorter version. I wish I had now. I do think that guy is still out there.
I hardley ever go on RT 29 but I live near it and I always warn my posse' of teens about not making your car look girly and wearing baseball caps watch for people following you.

The guy that tried to pull me over was stocky and had lighter brown hair not dark like darrel's he looked nothing like Darrel rice. I think people should know what the description. He did appear to be in his 30's in 96'

The guy that did this was a medium build, white male with sandy blondish hair...didn't look too short, but I couldn't really tell. It all happened so fast. He had on Oakley-style golf sunglasses (the old wrap-around ones). I would guess 20-40..I am so awful at ages. I'm sorry =P Had on a polo shirt of some sort.

The guy that tried to pull me leaned foward and pointed to the back of my car .
That what I remember most about it was all the pointing. I cant even explain how exaggerated it appeared to me too eager maybe??
I wrote a complete detailed account of what happen but decided not to post that and just write the shorter version. I wish I had now. I do think that guy is still out there.
I hardley ever go on RT 29 but I live near it and I always warn my posse' of teens about not making your car look girly and wearing baseball caps watch for people following you.

The guy that tried to pull me over was stocky and had lighter brown hair not dark like darrel's he looked nothing like Darrel rice. I think people should know what the description. He did appear to be in his 30's in 96'

The pointing was what also stuck out to me...besides moving into my lane (I was on the right, he on the left...two lanes) very, very quickly. I could have sworn his car mirrors were almost touching mine before I slammed on the brakes. Funny thing is...is that although I model, I was wearing baggy sweatpants, a baggy t-shirt, no makeup, glasses, greasy hair (ew, I know), etc. Nothing remotely inviting...that car had FL tags on it, though. It was beyond scary.

Wow, how scary! Thank you both for sharing this.

I'm sorry if this is obvious to the Virginia people -- is the mall where Vanessa was near Route 29?

Wow, how scary! Thank you both for sharing this.

I'm sorry if this is obvious to the Virginia people -- is the mall where Vanessa was near Route 29?

Yes you can see it on the maps already posted.

Well I happened to be in the area today (there's a thrift shop called Unique which is in the same shopping center as the nail place Vanessa visited that fateful day) -- and just out of curiousity I drove by the accident site and noticed that people had placed flowers at the spot on the access road where her car was found. Also noticed the foliage in that area was all brown as opposed to green...

I think I feel a certain closeness to this case because we both graduated from the same high school - James Madison in Vienna - and I knew lots of girls like her -- young, intelligent, bright futures ahead of them, funny, personable, sweet, innocent... I guess I'm looking for some sort of closing - was this someone she knew? I guess the consensus is that it was a complete stranger? Will we ever know? Personally I want to go on record saying that I don't think it was the Rt. 29 stalker...

Lovejac asked a great question -- any surveillance cameras in those nearby medical buildings?

I am wondering how someone would be able to escape the area without causing attention in broad daylight on a fairly busy afternoon with a murder weapon and the potential to have blood on your body and/or clothing.

It isn't automatic that the killer would have blood covering him/her, but you would think there would be some. Since they found the scene so quickly, if the person were walking, they'd likely be within a mile or two of the area.

It is strange a bag of clothes or a knife hasn't been discovered discarded.

I agree that her sitting at the corner waiting to turn for such a long period is suspicious. I keep thinking of the fact that she was part of a circle of friends who were very close. Her boyfriend was coming home to see her soon. I wonder if she was murdered by an ex of her boyfriend? Someone who was angry that he was no longer with her, but with Vanessa now.

It also seems logical that this was someone Vanessa knew and trusted, as an explanation of the time between leaving the nail salon and leaving the parking lot. Something or someone was influencing her behavior. 3:09 to 3:24. A lot could happen to incense an already angry teenager who felt as if she had been betrayed.

The stabbing had to have occured in a site that wasn't highly visible, providing cover for the crime as well as the escape.

Thanks. Yes, I can see that it appears to be near, but when you're not familiar with an area, it's hard to tell whether something is really as close as it looks.

I didnt mean to sound short I was trying to run out the door but I think it is less then a mile. Not sure I was up their the other day but I am not from that area.

New Article that covers some of the rt 29 case. Also other cases.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/082010/08082010/562706

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. FWIW, I wonder if sicko guys in this area get a kick out of pretending to be the RT 29 killer...not a copycat, per say, but perhaps they use that fear to their advantage. I'm glad I'm from Miami and have encountered far scarier situations...I'm taking my concealed class this month. Not driving around here anymore without a loaded weapon. There's no cell service in lots of places (and like I said, I have two different providers to try and cover that gap...still doesn't work all of the time)....and out here, police would take forever to get here (if they could find you). It's up to you to protect yourself in parts of VA. (i.e. - I'm 40 minutes from a city) If you wait for police, you'll be dead. Scary, but true.

Vanessa, what happened? =( Very frustrating.

ETA: Exact date was March 13th (100% sure). Looked through email messages.

Did anyone miss the posting where it was mentioned that Vanessa's body was disfigured? Is there any truth to this? Does anyone know? If this is true, it must have been somebody infatuated with her and couldn't stomach the rejection. But on the contrary, it could have been anyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back