Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate

From what I understood from watching TV last night, the government agreed to pay because they found the vaccine "exacerbated a pre-existing condition". I don't know that much about this decision, but I know that no one agreed that in general the vaccines cause Autism.

The ABC news that I watch commented that still, no research as proven a connection. So I don't know why they decided to award to this particular family. It is a cute little girl.

actually, there are two veresions... not only an MMR anymore, but also an MMRV - at least around here. we use the formula that has the added on varicella (chickenpox) onto it to help decrease the # of shots the infant has to receive.

The biggest thing is that around the age when the MMR or the MMRV vaccination is given is when parents start to notice that their baby is different than other babies or than other children they may have had. Children are to be screened at least twice for autism now by recommendation according to the AAP before the age of 2... this is a developmental thing.
Our goal in this country is to get the primary set of immunizations done before or by the age of 2 years of age. We give this initial set of MMR or MMRV at 12 months old. Usually, some kids have some problems with the MMR or MMRV shots... sometimes a fever "out of nowhere" after a week or ten days, and we can atribute that to the MMR or MMRV vaccination. At least that has been my teaching.
What is the biggest thing you can think of when you remember your babies development during the first two years? For me, (and for my first daughter I was not a healthcare professional), it was / is all the checkups and baby "shots". So if I had a child who had a chronic and life changing illness that had no "cause", I might be looking for a place to blame as well - and I might think of this, as a possible cause. You put something into my baby, and he seemed to change after a shot he got! That makes sense... it would seem to make sense. But I have to say that with all the "uproar" in this country, people saying that they have studied this link, ect... laypeople saying it is not safe, medical professionals saying that it is safe and that it has saved so many lives... I feel with my heart of hearts that it is. I would never ever, ever recommend it if I didn't feel that way. Ever.

I've heard many theories on the cause of the disease, but rarely hear people talk about why some children develop autism and others continue at a normal social rate. Is it a genetic anomaly that reacts to the mercury or :confused:

I received this e-mail today. ~~~~

On March 6, 2008, the major news networks reported on a National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program case in which liability was conceded based on circumstances surrounding Dr. and Mrs. Poling’s 9-year-old daughter’s autism. Medical personnel at the Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation, Department of Health and Human Services concluded that the facts of this case met the statutory criteria for demonstrating that the vaccinations Hannah Poling received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder, which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder.
Individuals living with autism need help today, and this case illustrates the need for the medical community to probe further into environmental causes of autism. The Polings, like all families affected by autism, deserve to be heard and supported in their journey raising their daughter. While we don’t know the cause for autism, or its interaction with other conditions or environmental aggregators, we need to focus today on what works to maximize the potential of people with autism to help them live meaningful, productive lives. This has always been ASA's mission and we will continue to advocate for research, family and individual support, and lifespan services for people across the autism spectrum.
ASA believes that the science of autism causes and treatments need to be more vigorously researched. We hope that primary decisions will be reached through thoughtful dialogue by parents and professionals on medical research and comprehensive treatment and services, not court rulings.
Sincerely,

49412.jpg

Lee Grossman
President and CEO
ASA Member since 1991
Parent of a son with autism

PixelServer

I have one..My son has Autism. I have the same thoughts. The MMR was the one that made him disappear. It was like magic one day he was here and the next he just went away. He did get sick when he got that shot. It is the tripple shots that are suspect not all vaccines. The MMR and the Pertusis I believe are the tripple shots it is what they use to preserve the vaccine that is the problem because it is 49% mercury. I know they stopped using that preservative.
and probably won't see a decline for awhile because The enviroment is also playing a part.
Welcome to WS, Mysticj! My grandson also has Autism. He is relatively high functioning with Hyperlexia and echolalia. He has been in a special program in public school for over a year and started to mainstream the past few weeks (just turned 5) with an aide.

The more I learn, the more I question the vaccination connections. I do believe there is something there and I am not sure it is only that preservative.

Please join us in the Jury Room! (You will find it listed at the bottom of the first forum page. There are many of us dealing with Autism here.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51363

I have one..My son has Autism. I have the same thoughts. The MMR was the one that made him disappear. It was like magic one day he was here and the next he just went away. He did get sick when he got that shot. It is the tripple shots that are suspect not all vaccines. The MMR and the Pertusis I believe are the tripple shots it is what they use to preserve the vaccine that is the problem because it is 49% mercury. I know they stopped using that preservative.
and probably won't see a decline for awhile because The enviroment is also playing a part.
Welcome Mysticj. I hope you know I was kidding with my response about no opinion around here. this is an often time discussed and heavily debated topic here at WS. IMO it is one of the best debates around.

We appreciate your sarcastic button, JBean. :) You made me laugh! (Again!!)

I have been taking care of my grands the past few weeks and I needed it! My special sidekick has been quite the challenge lately and while I love it...he sure can wear me out in a day's time! LOL

What I'm getting is that it may not be a cause, but it can be a trigger. Pointless differentiation, I'm sure, if it's your child.

I wish I could get compensated after never being the same since I took a Hepatitis B vaccination in my thirties and suffering a lupus like illness. I've not had the same health, alertness, or intelligence since. I think vaccinations can trigger illness and damage some people. There's too many accounts and known onset.

Mysticj...My 12yr old autistic daughter was in the hospital with seizures about 1 week after her shots...:waitasec:
Like yours....she was here one day and gone almost the next....

What I'm getting is that it may not be a cause, but it can be a trigger. Pointless differentiation, I'm sure, if it's your child.
And what I am getting is that the Government will do everything in their power to make sure we believe it is only a trigger. It wouldn't be the first time we have been misled to believe the greater good is worth the risk of harming some.

Do parents have the option of refusing these triple vaccines? I am at the point when my baby is born and if it's a boy, I want to refuse the MMR. Will that affect school enrollment? I can see why more and more parents are refusing this vaccine. My DH probanly will not agree and I can see us in a huge fight over it.

Yes you can refuse any/all vaccinations for you kid in most states. http://909shot.com/ has great information and state by state requirements.

My daughter is 4 - has not had any vaccinations. I will be homeschooling, so it's not an issue, but in California if she was going to school you can opt out for philosophical or religious reasons.

I got grief from one doctor - the next doctor was fine with it. I was worried about polio - the doctor said not to be concerned with that one, but to be concerned with tetanus. I appreciated his input, but went without it.

What cracks me up, is that internet research is fine for anything but vaccination information - then it's all antedocal.

Do your research.

To those that have children impacted by autism. Please do some research into Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment. It is not a cure all, but there are some promising results with it. (Google Drs Rossignol, Stoller, Neubauer, or Harch, for more information.)

I wish I could get compensated after never being the same since I took a Hepatitis B vaccination in my thirties and suffering a lupus like illness. I've not had the same health, alertness, or intelligence since. I think vaccinations can trigger illness and damage some people. There's too many accounts and known onset.

Same here.....although with me it was the Rhogam (which is NOW safe.....) shots. Just finding someone that understands life after mercury enters it is a blessing in itself.

Yes you can refuse any/all vaccinations for you kid in most states. http://909shot.com/ has great information and state by state requirements.

My daughter is 4 - has not had any vaccinations. I will be homeschooling, so it's not an issue, but in California if she was going to school you can opt out for philosophical or religious reasons.

I got grief from one doctor - the next doctor was fine with it. I was worried about polio - the doctor said not to be concerned with that one, but to be concerned with tetanus. I appreciated his input, but went without it.

What cracks me up, is that internet research is fine for anything but vaccination information - then it's all antedocal.

Do your research.

To those that have children impacted by autism. Please do some research into Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment. It is not a cure all, but there are some promising results with it. (Google Drs Rossignol, Stoller, Neubauer, or Harch, for more information.)

:clap: Use the word "thimerosal" when Googling!

Why don't we look at all the children both past and present who had their vaccines in childhood who did not develop Autism.

If vaccines were the only cause, and THE cause, then whole generations of kids in Canada and the USA will have autism.

We have three kids, no autism and the youngest is 12. I never had any problems, ditto for all generations of our family. Our family genetics and that of the offspring must not have the genetic mutations for autism.

I meet two boys with autism, both from the same genetics of their family, Mom and Dad. The mother is a Doctor, and in no way shape or form does she think that vaccinations have anything to do with autism.

She is well educated and knows that vaccines are not the cause, genetics are. Either genetics pre dispose a child to autism and he/she would have developed autism without any vaccines or the child was pre disposed to autism and may have developed autism that may "eventually" be triggered by vaccines.

Regardless, a genetic component exists.

Well, lots of kids eat peanuts and don't develop allergies. But since the stakes are so much higher in this case, maybe it makes sense to do more research in advance who is going to have a bad reaction.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentr
Back