Vancouver toddler may lose vision after laundry pod accident

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Donjeta, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

2. Loading...

3. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Wow. Sounds like the mom and the hospital messed up big time.

She took him home after the emergency visit and he kept his eyes closed for SIX DAYS before she took him to an eye doctor who rinsed the detergent out of his eyes?

That is nearly unbelievable.

4. raeann

raeann Well-Known Member

BBM

I have been using this product for several months. There are clearly marked warnings on both the front and back of the package! I noticed them and I don't even have any young children that are ever in my home. The instructions also clearly state that the first thing to be done if it gets into the eyes are to flush eyes with water for at least 15 minutes. It is clear, obvious and easily located. There are even follow up instructions for after the eye rinsing. There is NO substitute for parental responsibility and caution and if a momentary lapse resulted in the child being exposed-- there were exact instructions for what the mother SHOULD have known should be done purely instinctively.

jmo

5. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

Which is why they should be kept out of children's reach-it says so on the package of the ones that I have. And it also says on the package of the ones that I have about what to do if it gets into eyes-rinse with plenty of water for 15 minutes then seek medical advise. If that happens to anyone child-first put them into shower and rinse their eyes well before taking them into any emergency rooms.

6. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Active Member

This poor baby! Why didn't the mother keep things of this sort out of reach?

I use these little pods and love them. All of my grandchildren live out of state, but I do childproof my house before they come to visit.

7. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

I do not get all the stories about these laundry pods. So they look like candy - big deal?

First of all, unless some are much smaller than the ones I use, I don't even know how a toddler or baby could get it in his mouth, much less swallow it!

Second, does it look like candy to the adult who purchases it? I don't care how pretty it is, chemicals need to be in a safe place. My youngest is 12, but I still keep all the laundry detergent, etc. on an upper shelf. It is mostly so I don't have to rearrange my whole house if someone comes over with a little kid, and partly in case someone leaves a lower cabinet open and the dogs get in there.

This is parental responsibility at its most basic.