Vandals attack Gettysburg Battlefield

indigomood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
link to article

Feb 17, 2006 — Three monuments at the Gettysburg battlefield were found vandalized Thursday morning and early damage estimates approach $75,000, a National Park Service representative said.
Katie Lawhon, a park spokeswoman, said the monuments at the battlefield were erected in the years after the fierce three-day battle in 1863.
* more at link

ETA - Stupid People Piss Me Off :banghead:

gettys.jpg

That link is to the teacher suicide article.

We have had two incidents (within 6 months) of vandalizing in a very, very old cemetery in the area recently. (Also in Pa.) These are monuments that will probably never be replaced as there are probably no living descendants around any more. Someone in a newspaper article mentioned a geocaching game possibly involved.

Anyone who destroys monuments, be they public parks or cemeteries need to be hung by their ba11s and fed to the buzzards IMO. There is just no excuse for vandalism. :furious:

Grrrr. that makes me angry! It is one of my dream vacations to go and visit the battlefield.

If vandals do not destroy it before I ever get to go!

indigomood said:
link to article

Feb 17, 2006 — Three monuments at the Gettysburg battlefield were found vandalized Thursday morning and early damage estimates approach $75,000, a National Park Service representative said.
Katie Lawhon, a park spokeswoman, said the monuments at the battlefield were erected in the years after the fierce three-day battle in 1863.
* more at link

ETA - Stupid People Piss Me Off :banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/phatwirephreddie/gettys.jpg
i so love your ETA-- my god--- what is the fricking point?:banghead:

Lili said:
That link is to the teacher suicide article.

We have had two incidents (within 6 months) of vandalizing in a very, very old cemetery in the area recently. (Also in Pa.) These are monuments that will probably never be replaced as there are probably no living descendants around any more. Someone in a newspaper article mentioned a geocaching game possibly involved.

Anyone who destroys monuments, be they public parks or cemeteries need to be hung by their ba11s and fed to the buzzards IMO. There is just no excuse for vandalism. :furious:
:laugh: omg who switched the link on me? It was there before, let's try this again...

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_3519613

LOL Lili ~ balls and buzzards, I'm in favor!! :clap: :clap: :D

lostfaith said:
Grrrr. that makes me angry! It is one of my dream vacations to go and visit the battlefield.

If vandals do not destroy it before I ever get to go!
Me too lostfaith, makes me very angry :furious:

You must go if given the opportunity, I take it for granted as it is practically in my backyard. :)

j2mirish said:
i so love your ETA-- my god--- what is the fricking point?:banghead:
I hope it wasn't too graphic or offensive :eek:

but I'm pissed!
5.gif
4.gif

and I must vent
8.gif
19.gif

or I might explode
2.gif

indigomood said:
You must go if given the opportunity, I take it for granted as it is practically in my backyard. :)

Someday! In fact I had just ordered some brochures a few weeks back and recieved them last week. This year we are going to Wyoming, so maybe next year. My oldest son is interested in the Civil War too, so maybe he and I can go together. I know I wont go with my husband, he gets anoyed and impatient when I have to stop and read every plaque I see posted somewhere. Not his idea of a good time!

How many days would you suggest it would take to thouroughly visit the battlefield and other things of interest. From what I understood, 1 day at the battlefield is not enough?

Absolutely disgusting. I can only think of a quote:

THOSE WHO CANNOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT.
(George Santayana)

I have been there as well as taking my sons to Manassas Battlefield in Virginia and several others throughout the region.

I certainly hope they catch the creeps and they are severly punished.

lostfaith said:
Someday! In fact I had just ordered some brochures a few weeks back and recieved them last week. This year we are going to Wyoming, so maybe next year. My oldest son is interested in the Civil War too, so maybe he and I can go together. I know I wont go with my husband, he gets anoyed and impatient when I have to stop and read every plaque I see posted somewhere. Not his idea of a good time!

How many days would you suggest it would take to thouroughly visit the battlefield and other things of interest. From what I understood, 1 day at the battlefield is not enough?
I would think that three days should be sufficient, we go for day trips as i get bored with it quickly. My husband reads the plaques and I'm looking for the gift shops and eateries ;)

I would be more than happy to pick up anything you need as we have a heritage center with most of the brochures etc , just pm me if you would like me to send you any info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back