MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

I am a bit upset tho, LE took all her clothes and put them all in one evidence bag, and they had 2 pairs of her underwear in there also. It was brought up on cross-contamination with them all being in one bag.
TBI agent doing the forensics on them, said she/tbi would have preferred if each item was bagged separately.

Bagging the evidence all together was just plain stupid. Cross contamination. Defense will find a way to use it. So far, I think the videos are the best evidence. It was sickening hearing Vanderburg laughing and egging on the other acts.

BBM:
The only thing that I had heard was from the testimony from the room mate and the text about "cleaning" the room and Vanderburg said something like good, or ok or something like that.
I wouldn't put it passed him at all to do that very thing.
It took 90 hours before the surveillance was seen of her in the hall.
They were talking about those condoms being gathered up to be flushed and it was said to make sure you use condoms.
I wondered about all those water bottles too.
I'm wondering if they did not use them to wash her, even tho, they said when the evidence was gathered and from the images nothing was wet.

Not evidence yet, but heard commentator on channel 5 say that Vandenberg and victim had sex next day. Think the football players were worried very soon after incident about this coming to light. (Hence the flushed condoms?). You could understand why considering so many people seem to have seen the victim being carried almost naked in the dorm. Detective Gish testified that victim's face looked wet in one of the photos.

Bagging the evidence all together was just plain stupid. Cross contamination. Defense will find a way to use it. So far, I think the videos are the best evidence. It was sickening hearing Vanderburg laughing and egging on the other acts.

Oh yeah me too!!! I am hoping the jury is sitting there thinking, just what is so funny.

Your right about the defense. The TBI agent said they sent something to another lab in Texas and I can't remember what she said it was. However ohh, to separate and pull out just the male dna, because they can extract they y chromosone ( i know I spelled that wrong ) and I think then get the make up of the DNA and the TBI here in Tn doesn't do the test.

They didn't say anything about that report.

Not evidence yet, but heard commentator on channel 5 say that Vandenberg and victim had sex next day. Think the football players were worried very soon after incident about this coming to light. (Hence the flushed condoms?). You could understand why considering so many people seem to have seen the victim being carried almost naked in the dorm. Detective Gish testified that victim's face looked wet in one of the photos.

Yeah they were nervous, they woke up later that day and thought WTF did we do. Started trying to erase video's, images, doing searches on what LE can retrieve from I phone and I pads.... OH yeah, and all that is, what's the matter boys, if you did nothing wrong. Oh they know they raped her.

I'll miss the morning session, will try and catch it throughout the day.
I will get to see the afternoon.

G'Nite ~

BBM. Agree. Without that laughing audio/video don't know if they could get a rape or sexual assault conviction against Vandenberg because none of the photos show him touching the victim.

Oh yeah me too!!! I am hoping the jury is sitting there thinking, just what is so funny.

Your right about the defense. The TBI agent said they sent something to another lab in Texas and I can't remember what she said it was. However ohh, to separate and pull out just the male dna, because they can extract they y chromosone ( i know I spelled that wrong ) and I think then get the make up of the DNA and the TBI here in Tn doesn't do the test.

They didn't say anything about that report.

Right, there was a blood sample that was sent out. I think she also said her lab doesn't do saliva samples either. Looking forward to tomorrow's testimony. I wonder if MacKenzie will be tried or be given a deal for his testimony. Also the roommate that remained in the top bunk, appearing to be asleep during the rape.......how weird is that?

Oh well. See yawl tomorrow.

Their tone in that video is so disturbing. I don't even know how to describe it. Maybe manic?

Review of the charges

Cory Batey, Brandon Vandenburg, Brandon Banks and Jaborian McKenzie face five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg additionally faces tampering with evidence and unlawful photography charges.

Banks and McKenzie were severed from the case against Vandenburg and Batey a few months after being indicted. They are expected to testify during the trial, likely in exchange for a lesser penalty.

Potential penalties:

Aggravated rape: 15 to 60 years*
Aggravated sexual battery: 8 to 30 years*
Unlawful photography: 1 to 6 years
Tampering with evidence: 3 to 15 years

*Aggravated rape and aggravated sexual battery are “100 percent” crimes, which means that if convicted, the defendant will serve the entire term they are given.

http://www.vanderbilthustler.com/news/article_8d263da6-9bc3-11e4-8e06-0b0fde48ea7d.html

I love it when the mike is still live and the attorney goes over to his table and whispers 'where did this come from?' :what:

Listening to this defense attorney. He's having trouble forming questions. My guess is he is not experienced at litigating, trial law.

This other defense attorney sounds very qualified. Actually, he's pretty slick. Sounds like he's the one representing Vanderburg.

I missed that. what was he talking about?

Sorry no idea. I've heard snippets of conversations from the attys tables several times because the mike is still on, most seemed to be about evidence to be admitted or shared with defense?

Why can't all sides address the alleged victim as alleged victim. The censorship has failed. I've heard the young woman's name slip by several times.

I wonder how that night club, the Tin Roof, is doing? It sounds like quite a bit of under age drinking going on at that place.

If I was a defendant I would want to sit with my lawyers at the same table and be able to hear what is said during the sidebars.

On the other hand I guess if I was laying the groundwork for an appeal it might help show ineffective counseling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back