MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

This was not a statutory rape case. You might want to acquaint yourself with some of the facts of the case before posting. Some might find your "joke" offensive.

And you may want to acquaint yourself with the facts of the case and its outcome as well as read the post above mine, so you can get a clue about what my post actually was about, rather than assuming and making snarky retorts.

I'm commenting on the post above mine and referring to the foreman of this trial who has gone on record saying that he did not consider himself a victim and that's why he answered "no" when he was asked during voir dire if he had ever been a victim of a sexual assault.

And the guy who assaulted the juror years ago: "This man, who asked that his identity be concealed, said he committed the rape involving a juror who helped return the guilty verdicts in the case against two former Vanderbilt University football players. Fourteen years ago, he pleaded no contest to statutory rape involving the individual. “It was originally three counts of statutory rape and I was indicted on 23 counts of statutory rape.”

So yes, there was statutory rape -- specifically involving the juror who was foreman, which is exactly what I was talking about in my post.

As for the joke (it's not mine, it's been around for ages), it can only be understood and appreciated by someone with a droll sense of humor who doesn't take everything so serious or personal.

And you may want to acquaint yourself with the facts of the case and its outcome as well as read the post above mine, so you can get a clue about what my post actually was about.

I'm commenting on the post above mine and referring to the foreman of this trial who has gone on record saying that he did not consider himself a victim and that's why he answered "no" when he was asked during voir dire if he had ever been a victim of a sexual assault.

And the guy who assaulted the juror years ago: "This man, who asked that his identity be concealed, said he committed the rape involving a juror who helped return the guilty verdicts in the case against two former Vanderbilt University football players. Fourteen years ago, he pleaded no contest to statutory rape involving the individual. “It was originally three counts of statutory rape and I was indicted on 23 counts of statutory rape.”

So yes, there was statutory rape -- specifically involving the juror who was foreman, which is exactly what I was talking about.

As for the joke (it's not mine it's been around for ages), it can only be understood and appreciated by those with a droll sense of humor.

It was not clear to me what you are referring to. Thank you for the clarification. I think the foreman has said that he did not consider himself a rape victim.
I agree your rape "joke" is rather dated. If you need a droll sense of humor to appreciate it then I don't have one.

It was not clear to me what you are referring to. Thank you for the clarification. I think the foreman has said that he did not consider himself a rape victim.
I agree your rape "joke" is rather dated. If you need a droll sense of humor to appreciate it then I don't have one.

The joke isn't a "rape joke." The joke is one that gets posted all the time..I just saw it on Facebook yesterday. And I was using it to underscore the point the juror made.

And you may want to acquaint yourself with the facts of the case and its outcome as well as read the post above mine, so you can get a clue about what my post actually was about, rather than assuming and making snarky retorts.

So yes, there was statutory rape -- specifically involving the juror who was foreman, which is exactly what I was talking about in my post.

As for the joke (it's not mine, it's been around for ages), it can only be understood and appreciated by someone with a droll sense of humor who doesn't take everything so serious or personal.
Again, thank you for clarifying what you were referring to.

In a hearing that lasted about two minutes, Judge Monte Watkins declared Vandenburg as indigent.

The state didn't oppose, and Watkins said despite whatever money Vandenburg's family may have, he doesn't have any source of income and cannot pay for the transcripts and court documents his new legal team will need.

Bowlin and Reagan said they are still looking into possible jury misconduct and a number of other issues to prepare their case for a mistrial.

Read more: http://www.wsmv.com/story/28926709/...-to-be-heard-in-court-wednesday#ixzz3ZCjoYAb5

Vandenburg and Batey are still set to be sentenced on June 15th.

http://wkrn.com/2015/05/14/vandenburg-requests-new-trial-in-vanderbilt-rape-case/

Documents reveal details behind Vandenburg mistrial request in Vanderbilt rape case

The attorneys allege that Easter denied ever being a witness to a crime or having any prior involvement with the justice system beyond a previous marijuana arrest. They cite court transcripts in which Easter denied knowing anyone who had been the recipient of an unwanted touching or sexual assault.

There is no word on when the judge will take up the request for a new trial.

http://wate.com/2015/05/24/media-requests-records-from-vanderbilt-coaches-and-players-on-2013-rape-case/
The state Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on Thursday over a lawsuit calling for the city of Nashville to force the release of records in a case involving former Vanderbilt football players charged with rape.

The Tennessean reports (http://tnne.ws/1EroClR ) a coalition of media outlets, including The Tennessean and The Associated Press, are seeking records obtained by Nashville police, including text messages between coaches and their football players after the rape.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/2015/05/23/vandy-rape-case-records-can-expose-culture/27873617/

According to filings in the criminal trial, we know former head football coach James Franklin and former director of performance enhancement Dwight Galt — both now at Penn State University — contacted the victim by cellphone during a medical examination four days after the rape. Why would those coaches have her cellphone number?

Based on court documents, the victim told police that Franklin had called her months before the incident for a private meeting, saying he wanted her to get "15 pretty girls" together to form a team to assist with recruiting — something he told her all colleges did, according to court filings.

http://www.erietvnews.com/story/28463800/new-motion-filed-in-vanderbilt-rape-case

Nashville, TN -- Attorneys in the Vanderbilt rape case have filed a motion requesting the court transcripts be made available as soon as possible so attorneys can move forward fighting for a mistrial.

In the filing, Cory Batey's attorney Worrick Robinson said that six weeks after the trial, their team has still not received the transcripts from jury selection.

In the trials, etc., that I have followed, court transcripts always take a long time to be prepared & ready for distribution. I am told that it is because there aren't enuff transcribers to keep up with all of the trial records that are produced. It's every word, line by line, verified, etc., etc., etc. It's always so frustrating, but that's how I've always seen it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/opi...ape-case-records-can-expose-culture/27873617/

According to filings in the criminal trial, we know former head football coach James Franklin and former director of performance enhancement Dwight Galt — both now at Penn State University — contacted the victim by cellphone during a medical examination four days after the rape. Why would those coaches have her cellphone number?

Based on court documents, the victim told police that Franklin had called her months before the incident for a private meeting, saying he wanted her to get "15 pretty girls" together to form a team to assist with recruiting — something he told her all colleges did, according to court filings.

Dayam. Interesting, huh? It gave me the creeps.

So bring the exercise coach and the dietician and the trainers and the various position coaches and pictures of the training room and the equipment and the athletes' dining hall and pictures of the dorms and gyms and locker rooms, the "pretty girls" will answer your questions and perhaps show you around campus when you visit, etc., etc. What a nice recruitment package. Grrrrrr.

JMHO

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/26/vanderbilt-rape-victim-argues-records-release/27988319/

Vanderbilt rape victim argues against records release

In a 12-page brief filed with the state's highest court Tuesday, the victim argued that rights afforded to all crime victims under Tennessee law bar disclosure of the records under the state's Public Records Act in two specific circumstances: when the records are "likely to lead to intimidation, harassment, and abuse of a crime victim" and when the release of records is "incompatible with treating the victim with dignity and compassion."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back