Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I read earlier in the thread, the DA is "assessing" and there may not be a 2nd try. He has an option to turn it over to the judge and let her decide LWOP or LWP and save a ton of money. He can re-try it too, but it is not carved in stone that it will happen.

This trial lasted long as it did because of the DT
They had her on the stand for 18 days and nurmi and wilmotts longggggggg drawn out recrossing caused so much damage. Juan didn't take that long to get his point across its my belief the DT dragged this on longer than necessary. I don't know if this is how the DT performs in other cases if so all I can say is wow

I agree with you there! I don't think I would shy away from putting the needle in myself in this case. The original discussion was about the necessity of unanimous death verdicts and the OP said that he/she felt that one or two hold outs shouldn't stop a death sentence. I think 'majority rules' is a bad way to go for something so serious.

Yeah, its a tough thing what just happened, and not sure the best way to handle things, but I do think something should change because the job was to make a decision and by not making that decision, they have passed the buck so to speak.

I think they mentioned on HLN that some other states do use majority rules.
I thnk something needs to change because this jury was the most equipped to make the decision. I just dont see how a new jury could ever appreciate everything that this jury went through to learn about Jodi and what went down. A mini-trial cannot possibly bring a new jury up to speed on things as compared to the original.

I wonder if this jury realizes now that the DA can elect to not even give a 2nd try and just give it to the judge to decide either LWOP or LWP. I bet they didnt even realize that may happen now.

This decision was so hard to understand.
They spent 5 months on this trial.
And they give up after 13 hours, wow, mind boggling.

If you cannot agree give her life,
wash your hands, and let the judge
decide her sentence.

Very easy.

But why was it so hard for this jury?

I am shocked and appalled that there is no justice for
the Alexander family.

I really cannot see their victim statements again.
It was so heart wrenching.

Please give this family some prayers, they are such innocent
victims.

Hi Summerfun,
FWIW this is what I feel was the issue that caused the hung jury:
(Other than hung jury) the only two choices the jury had were Death or Life.
So if a juror thought she deserved death, they could vote that way.
But what if a juror felt this case did not meet their own personal standard of death?
If they felt that way, then the only choice they would have is Life.
HOWEVER, if they chose life, then the JUDGE gets to decide if it is LWOP or Life with a possibility of parole.

I think THIS was the HUGE ROADBLOCK to a verdict.

Those that want death MIGHT agree with LWOP, but wouldn’t want to risk JSS allowing JA to ever be out on parole.
Those that felt a life sentence was appropriate, would not want to change to death because they felt it didn’t rise to their personal standard for death.

I feel a concern that JSS might allow a parole option created no way to really compromise.

I personally feel there is NO WAY the judge would give parole option , but have to remind myself that there is a LOT we know that the jurors do not.
Jurors do not know:
*That JSS saw the difference in JA’s demeanor the second the jury leaves the room.
*That the interviews happened or that JSS has been aware of them.
*That JSS has had to deal with irritants from JA like whining about when she eats, how long the day goes or (likely) feigning headaches.
*That due to in chambers meetings JSS knows even more than we do (and therefore, FAR more than the jury knows) about what has REALLY been going on the past 5 months with JA, her lawyers, their witnesses, etc.
*That JSS is probably SICK TO DEATH with the shenanigans of JA and her lawyers.
(I’m sure there are more that I’m not thinking of.)
So the jury (missing all that info) could have a real fear of parole for JA if they gave her life.

I think if they had been able to choose LWOP themselves, they would have been able to compromise/agree on that.

I truly felt the family's pain when I watched the video of the decision announcement. So awful for them to have to possibly face MORE trial, more time away from their lives, jobs, family and the financial burden of it all. How awful for them to have to see the smirk on JA's face because she surely feels "she won".

However, I don't believe they have had justice torn away from them. It is, painfully, justice delayed - but justice WILL be served.
JA has been found guilty of M1 (the BIGGEST issue) and the jury also found it extreme cruelty which opened up the option of DP and ensured some type of life sentence.

Now one of two things will happen:

1. Juan and the family will agree to let her avoid the DP by agreeing to LWOP.
or
2. They will choose to bring in a new jury, do a "mini" version of the trial and let the jury decide.

Either way, justice will come to JA.
She cannot avoid it forever -only for a few more months.

I have heard a lot of really angry, awful things said about the jury today -some here, some in the media, FB or on tv.
I REALLY don't feel it's fair.
They obviously felt terrible they couldn't reach a decision. They KNOW she is a brutal murderer. They KNOW Travis was the victim and the victim was not "mousey-librarian-wanna-be" JA.
I truly, truly feel they were put in a terrible position because of the situation with the parole or no parole issue above.
JMHO.

Not sure whether you were intending to respond to me? I was talking about the poster wanting to be called to jury duty in the re-trial of the penalty phase with the foregone conclusion that s/he would vote for the DP.

Speaking to your post, I thought the juror's harassment by what passes for "journalists" these days was ridiculous. But my post about it was deleted and I have no idea why. So I'm assuming there is support for the type of behavior on that video.

I did not intend to respond to you. I don't know if that was a Websleuth hiccup or what. I was responding to the poster who questioned whether this juror normally walked to court/didn't have a car.

The media cannot approach sitting jurors. What does the judge ask them every single morning? "Has anyone attempted to speak with you about this trial?"

I did not ask why they didn't approach him. I made the observation that they asked why he'd come out that way and he said that he did it every day. I wondered why they asked that question if they already knew he came out that way everyday. They had to know that if he did indeed do it every day. Just an observation and question.

What has changed about Jodi's conviction of Murder 1 felon status that she's now not allowed media access and in 23 hr lockdown?

I don't get the reasoning that 2 days ago wasn't the same status.

Didnt they just say no more interviews zilch.

I wonder how Juan & Det. Flores are doing tonight....
Juan looked thoroughly disgusted.
Yes, we are sending our prayers to Travis's family,
but mine will also include Juan and Det. Flores.

Once a Juanette...
Always a Juanette

:juanettes:

Ease up on the bloodthirst for the jurors.

No one has been more vested in this process than they were. Not even here at WS, save perhaps the Alexander family and their closest supporters and friends.

These jurors have been through months of excruciating testimony, hours, days and weeks of delays. Arriving to court on time only to sit in the hold room for hours before getting into the jury box for 6 minutes and told to go home and return the next afternoon. Never being able to discuss the case until 4 months had passed. Having Shoefly McStabberson staring at you and whispering to her BFF or doodling all day. These people have effectively put their lives on hold for the duration of what must have seemed endless to them. Don't get me started on the sidebars!!!

I have no doubt they wanted to give the Alexanders a unanimous verdict and shorten their obvious suffering. I also have no doubt they feel worse about today's verdict than any one of us.

Before, JM had nothing personal going on with this case, and he was still a bulldog. Pulled a lot of punches.

Now, not overtly, he has an axe to grind. Should be interesting if he gets another go around with Jodi testifying.

Folks call him a pit bull.

They ain't seen nothin' yet, IMO.

I don't know if he'll get to cross her again, but I will be there with bells on and my Juan-poms if he does.

While I'm conflicted about the death penalty, I believe that Dr. Drew is the one who needs to put it on a shelf and let it go. The media needs to put it on a shelf and let it go. If I were in Travis' family, I'd say, "You first, Doc!"

I was so upset at his complete disconnect (IMO) of why for Travis' family seeing JA prosecuted to the full extent of AZ law is probably step one for them in honoring their brother. I tweeted him the following during the program, and lucky for him i ran out of characters.

@SLSmith: @DrDrewHLN my sister was murdered & sodomized & left in a car truck. You do NOT understand Travis family wanting DP. Stop this PLZ

Yeah and where were they touring the Grand Canyon and Donovan didn't disclose that to nancy grace.

so they really were sight seeing at the grand canyon and didn't leave cuz they thought it was just a jury question?? omg!!:scared:

Yeah, its a tough thing what just happened, and not sure the best way to handle things, but I do think something should change because the job was to make a decision and by not making that decision, they have passed the buck so to speak.

*Respectfully snipped for space

I wonder if this jury realizes now that the DA can elect to not even give a 2nd try and just give it to the judge to decide either LWOP or LWP. I bet they didnt even realize that may happen now.

I absolutely agree with this. I can't imagine how a jury could get a case that has been as insane as this one during the penalty phase and be expected to decide. In the South where I am from, you know pretty quickly whether you are not long for this world when you're sentenced. The multiple phases thing doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to get a resolution imo.

I interned with the innocence project in law school. I have seen dozens of poor minorities with questionable convictions and/or mentally retarded men that confessed to crimes after coercion, that now sit or have sat on death row for crimes that it's pretty clear that they didn't commit...or in my case in particular, a black man that sat on death row for nearly two decades and evaded the needle TWICE only to be exonerated by DNA evidence for raping and murdering a woman that he had never even met.

In calling for his head the majority white community was inflamed, they were passionate, they were horrified, the state hated him...and they were wrong. Categorically, no wiggle room, no question...just wrong.

It does happen, and if there weren't people working on his behalf for nearly two decades then he would be dead. Had there been one person that was able to abate their passion and listen to logic, then perhaps he wouldn't have been in that position. We'll never know...but I think room for dissent is essential. That's why I don't hold the "hold outs' decision against them.

A different opinion about the necessity of putting someone to death doesn't mean that the person holding the opinion is wrong...and I say this as someone who is willing to bend my death penalty opposition for JA(because she is vile.)

I became pretty much anti-death penalty myself a few years ago. This after reading up on it and learning how many wrongful convictions there have been. One in particular involving a man from my area, Kerry Max Cook. He was sent to death row, stayed there for over 20 years, then DNA evidence came out that exonerated him. After that many years stolen from him, he finally became a free man again.

Just imagine how horrible that would be, to spend that much of your life on death row, in that horrible environment, knowing you're innocent. And how devastating that he was an innocent man who knew he was innocent, yet convicted of a crime he did not commit.

It was, btw, determined later that the prosecutors were found to have committed prosecutorial misconduct.

All of this aside, in JA's case, there is no doubt what she did, no doubt she's guilty. There is also no doubt she has no genuine remorse. And, imo, she deserves the death penalty. I personally, though, would rather have seen them sentence her to LWOP rather than no verdict at all. Because there is still no closure, it will continue to take it's toll on this poor family, and it's going to be one more huge circus even getting this case to trial again. And it will be a long drawn out nightmare, imo.

Then, once it ever makes it to trial, everyone has to listen to PsychoKiller from Hell talk about how "abused" she was, with even more histrionics and embellishments than before, especially with all the experience she's gained from this trial. It's going to be the JA Horror Movie all over again, but this time in High Definition.

And who knows what the next jury will decide. Another throw of the dice, another crap shoot.

WAR EAGLES!!:seeya:

War Eagle! We are real people down here and realize that CMA is a true monster and so slaughtered that young man in such a way that she deserved the death penalty. She is a devil/monster woman. We think there were at least 2 people there on the jury that really do not believe in the DP......

I was so upset at his complete disconnect (IMO) of why for Travis' family seeing JA prosecuted to the full extent of AZ law is probably step one for them in honoring their brother. I tweeted him the following during the program, and lucky for him i ran out of characters.

@SLSmith: @DrDrewHLN my sister was murdered & sodomized & left in a car truck. You do NOT understand Travis family wanting DP. Stop this PLZ

OMG. I am sorry about that. Words can't even be adequate.

Hi Summerfun,
FWIW this is what I feel was the issue that caused the hung jury:
Other than hung jury, the only two choices the jury had were Death or Life.
So if a juror thought she deserved death, they could vote that way.
But what if a juror felt this case did not meet their own personal standard of death?
If they felt that way, then the only choice they would have is Life.
HOWEVER, if they chose life, then the JUDGE gets to decide if it is LWOP or Life with a possibility of parole.

I think THIS was the HUGE ROADBLOCK to a verdict.

Those that want death MIGHT agree with LWOP but wouldn’t want to risk JSS allowing JA to ever be out on parole.
Those that felt a life sentence was appropriate would not want to change to death because they felt it didn’t rise to their personal standard for death.

I feel a concern that JSS might allow a parole option created no way to really compromise.

I personally feel there is NO WAY the judge would give parole option , but have to remind myself that there is a LOT we know that the jurors do not.
Jurors do not know:
*That JSS saw the difference in JA’s demeanor the second the jury leaves the room.
*That the interviews happened or that JSS has been aware of them.
*That JSS has had to deal with irritants from JA like whining about when she eats, how long the day goes or (likely) feigning headaches.
*That due to in chambers meetings JSS knows even more than we do (and therefore, FAR more than the jury knows) about what has REALLY been going on the past 5 months with JA, her lawyers, their witnesses, etc.
*That JSS is probably SICK TO DEATH with the shenanigans of JA and her lawyers.
(I’m sure there are more that I’m not thinking of.)
So the jury (missing all that info) could have a real fear of parole for JA if they gave her life.

I think if they had been able to choose LWOP themselves, they would have been able to compromise/agree on that.

I truly felt the family's pain when I watched the video of the decision announcement. So awful for them to have to possibly face MORE trial, more time away from their lives, jobs, family and the financial burden of it all. How awful for them to have to see the smirk on JA's face because she surely feels "she won".

However, I don't believe they have had justice torn away from them. It is, painfully, justice delayed - but justice WILL be served.
JA has been found guilty of M1 (the BIGGEST issue) and the jury also found it extreme cruelty which opened up the option of DP and ensured some type of life sentence.

Now one of two things will happen:

1. Juan and the family will agree to let her avoid the DP by agreeing to LWOP.
or
2. They will choose to bring in a new jury, do a "mini" version of the trial and let the jury decide.

Either way, justice will come to JA.
She cannot avoid it forever -only for a few more months.

I have heard a lot of really angry, awful things said about the jury today -some here, some in the media, FB or on tv.
I REALLY don't feel it's fair.
They obviously felt terrible they couldn't reach a decision. They KNOW she is a brutal murderer. They KNOW Travis was the victim and not "mousey-librarian-wanna-be JA.
I truly, truly feel they were put in a terrible position because of the situation with the parole or no parole issue above.
JMHO.
The family will never be free from Jodi unless she is dead. She will hold interviews from death row (remember child-killer psychopath Damien Echols). Jodi will have a large fan club whom she writes to frequently that will harass and torment Travis family. Jodi will start a crusade to stop pedophiles and likely put Travis picture and name on the next fundraising t-shirt. She will manipulate celebrities to vocally fight for her freedom. It will never end for Travis' family because she's an narcissistic psychopath. She'll seek attention and revenge.

IMO, the family should PUSH for a penalty phase retrial and BEG for Jodi to be put to death.

Pensfan
verified Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members