Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give my two cents, knowing that there are other lawyers on this thread who practice criminal law and will correct me if I am wrong. But, this is what I see:

1. Jodi is on lock down, no interviews, while this drags on. That appears to be the same as if she is on death row. This could go on for an extended period due to the next phase.

2. Juan and his office (with input from the family) can offer a plea of life in prison if she gives up her appeals. This would be huge if accepted. Waiving appeals would get us farther than life would have gotten us today.

3. It may take a while, but I believe there are many, many people who are not familiar with this case. Not in that immediate area, but as many others have pointed out, some people have never heard of it.

4. This is not a win for the defense. Even if there is a plea bargain, this is no win for the defense. They are at the mercy of the prosecutors. Even if Wilmot and Nurmi get to leave, JA will be forced, with other lawyers, to move forward if the prosecution decides. I personally believe it would be harder to find a lawyer to accept her case than it would be to find a jury who would hear it.

5. God has a purpose. I know this. The Alexander family will need our prayers and our help, but there is a purpose here. I am so grateful that, whatever the deadlock, it didn't happen until now. THAT IS HUGE. I would much rather have a mistrial now than on any verdict prior to this. She is convicted. That part is done. That is a huge blessing. The same individuals who couldn't agree here could have held out then. That did not happen. Sometimes instead of looking at what has been taken away, we must remember what we have been given. What was given to the Alexanders is huge. They saw this through to her conviction. At this point, other decisions may need to be made. But, she is convicted and MOST IMPORTANTLY Travis' name has been cleared. There is no doubt about that and that is worth more than anything, even JA's death for her crime.

This jury has been a blessing. There is a purpose in this part as well. This will be alright and it will turn out for the greatest good - whatever that may be. I have no doubt there are angels watching over the Alexanders, on earth and in heaven. They are special people. Let us not forget them in our prayers in the months to come. Circle the wagons! - A Mormon pioneer saying :)
What a welcome breath of fresh air. Thank you. :goodpost:

She has been tried and found guilty in a public trial. Future jurors will just have to listen to the penalty phase not go through the whole trial. I would think they would just have to agree they would judge her fairly by what they hear during the penalty phase.

I do think her interviews will hurt her in the end. These jurors were not aware of what she has said and how she still blames Travis. I'm wondering if JM will be able to use those interviews with the next panel of jurors.

I certainly HOPE so!!! I bet there will be a big fight about it though.

I agree with all who say once the jurors see everything we have been able to see how pizzed they feel.
We should never have to feel foolish because our laws can keep info from us...how is that a fair way to make an educated life or death verdict?
I just don't get it at all.
They are trusted to make that choice but not trusted to judge inflammatory evidence?Please.....it's not fair to juries....

Wish she would continue to give inter views. The more the better. A new jury could see who she really is. She tells the interviewers not to show her cuffs or prison garb. I wish they would. They could capture her reaction on film.
For the sake of the Alexander family, I don't want to hear from her until we see her again at the re-trial of the penalty phase. Love that she will be in close custody, 23 hours a day alone in her cell. The Sheriff says her interviewing days are OVER.

I'm disappointed! Every single one of those jurors said they could impose the death penalty. Here is the only thing they had to look at:

Aggravating Factors are any relevant circumstances, supported by the evidence presented during the trial, that makes the harshest penalty appropriate, in the judgment of the jurors.

Mitigating Factors are any evidence presented regarding the defendant's character or the circumstances of the crime, which would cause a juror to vote for a lesser sentence.

Somebody lied! What mitigating factors were there? Character? Circumstance of the crime?

May 2013 will go down as a good month for Justice in my book.

Travis Alexander's killer was found GUILTY of 1st degree murder.

SHANIYA Davis' killer was found GUILTY TODAY of 1st degree murder.

No, Travis' killer didn't get the death penalty... yet.
And Shaniya Davis' killer was not convicted of raping her.
But I'm going to focus on the Murder 1 convictions in both cases.

We got Murder 1 CONVICTIONS on 2 cases that dragged on for years! :woohoo:

I think when the jurors came in with the question after only deliberating for an hour yesterday....that should have told us then that there were jurors not willing to go with the death penalty....that was just too fast.....IMO they should have never been on the jury to begin with.....and I am not bashing.....

I agree with you. I'm wondering if the sealed question today wasn't related to the same thing and, if so, why the dissenting juror (I'm thinking there was only one) wasn't replaced with an alternate - IF they were refusing to deliberate.

Seems as if the majority of jurors were asking for help from the beginning to me. I will be very anxious to hear more details of what really happened.

jmho

I keep reading about some people wanting JM to bring in the new interviews?
Would he be allowed to do that?

(I'm hoping someone knows or can point me in the right direction. I try to use AzLawyer as a last resort, lol. She's so patient and answers all those questions. Is my e-crush showing? lol)

I believe NG said the gag order has been lifted, but none of the jurors have agreed to say anything to anyone. That will probably change with time. When the jury sees everything they weren't privy to, I wonder if the holdouts will feel they made a big mistake?

I was thinking the same thing. IF and I mean IF .. (doubtful) I was one of the jurors that just couldn't do "it" I would be furious with myself and the whole darn fact that she fooled me.

Now, with the next phase would the can they use all those interviews in the trial?

I was speaking with a friend today who up until 2 years ago was a nurse in one of the prisons. She told me Jodi would not live a happy comfortable life if she got LWOP. I won't go into the graphic description she gave me. I will just say Jodi is too pretty, too famous, and too mouthy. She will be forced to quietly endure things until today I couldn't have imagined. I would have been okay wth LWOP. I just can't believe therr wss no decision!

The prisons are filling up with girl gang members. They could be a vicious as jodi. She would have to watch her back all the time. They would be offended by her trying to turn the prison into her playpen. With that said, prison officials have said if she gets life she will be in maximum security. She would be in a cell by herself. No contact with other inmates. No book clubs. Only the cracks in the wall to talk to.

I had to leave for a few minutes, so I've missed several pages, but my 2 cents worth:

Jodi did not look smug or happy to me when the verdict was read. She knows that some (hopefully the majority) of the jurors were pro death and refused to settle for Life, even if it meant a hung jury. She may also be aware that her post verdict interviews will be allowed to be admitted if the penalty phase is retried. I'm sure her attorneys told her that, but I think she was convinced that this jury was going to give her Life and she didn't give a second thought about doing them. I've seen lawyers on three different networks say that her interviews will be allowed in. I think she knows she's scr3wd if the state retries the penalty phase. What upset me the most today is that it isn't over yet for the Alexander family, but eventually, Jodi will be where she belongs. It also makes me happy that she's locked down for 23 hours per day with no interviews (per Sheriff Joe), at least until the status hearing on June 20th. Justice is delayed, but won't be denied.

AZ cases where this has happened. It's a strange process that I'd never even heard of before but it seems to work fairly well for the prosecution. I just feel beyond horrible for that poor family.

I agree with you, I've never heard of anything like this. I also agree that the family is the worst part of this outcome. I am past my blood lust now that she has been convicted of first degree and I could be just as happy with LWOP. I want them to be able to have closure and their lives back.

I thought this was huge and not enough emphasis was given to it. Hopefully, you are right, Wolfpack, and Juan can use this in describing her as a danger to society. She is unrepentant and her behavior with weapons, when combined with her veiled threat toward that newsman that was interviewing her, the "fact" that she isn't dangerous except...."

I believe CM is in a worst position than she was yesterday. And she knows it.

I would so love to know why this didn't come in. I think it's big.

For the sake of the Alexander family, I don't want to hear from her until we see her again at the re-trial of the penalty phase. Love that she will be in close custody, 23 hours a day alone in her cell. The Sheriff says her interviewing days are OVER.

:) for Jodi that's worse than death:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did anyone on the panel point out Ryan Owens? He didn't coddle Arias. Btw, who was the reporter, heavy-set, that called jodi a sex-kitten? twice. :floorlaugh:

OMG! I couldn't believe that jerk! "Jodi, you're a vixen...naked pictures...sex kitten...what do you say?"

No denial, rather, veiled delight and acknowledgement! "Well we were in a relationship..." (translation: "yes, I am off-the-charts-sexy, aren't I?")

Did he want to boff her or what? (IMHO). How pervy...

You know... if I were a juror and got off the case and started finding out all the stuff that I did not know I think I would be extremely pizzed...I mean, you want me to sit there and make a judgement call...then I feel like if you arent giving me all of the facts you are wasting my time and quite possibly making me feel like a fool in the end... JMO

This is exactly what sooooo painful to me as a juror, that 30 minute conversation with prosecutors after the fact.

The state of Texas basically decided to proceed with vital witnesses omitted because a death occurred in the lead detective family so we didn't get full picture and no explanation til it was over.

I bawled my whole drive home ...I so believed that kid, but nothing else buttressed her statements.

Being on a jury stinks...I did my civic duty ... ibased my decision only on what was presented..but I live with regret..feeling I failed that kid.

I wrote her a letter sent through her attorney to apologize & explain we believed her but he other people who spoke made it very confusing

Has there been any reports of any juror willing to do an interview?

Did anyone hear the reporter on DD say that CM admitted to STILL being in love with TA/Unfreakinbelievable.

I believe I heard this in an interview. It is not surprising, given the level of obsession.

Also, I don't know if this has been addressed. What about the judges pause? Was she getting emotional, or was there a distraction in the court room?

Calling her a sex kitten could put me off sex for life. There's just no call for that.

I shouldn't have used the lol button, but my stomach has been acting up enough lately for the hurl button. I just seen a clip of this guy (don't know what the 'reporter in the know' looks like) and it was disgusting. The only reporter that interviewed Arias that showed her the respect she deserved--and he should have been rougher, was Ryan Owens.

Wonder if Arias was bawling too cause the Jury is going to find out now about all the lies she told, the lie she is!...everyone is finding out the real Jodi. To a BPD-Sociopath-Narcissist that has conned people all her life since a young age, manipulated everyone and would not take no for an answer, just lied/manipulated/mirrored her way through...wow, can you imagine? The mask is getting peeled off like a skins of an onion and it is black, molding rotten to the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey