Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight my thoughts & prayers are with the Alexander family. I can't imagine their heartbreak & frustration-- hoping they'll find the strength for whatever the next step is.

Just a few addtl thoughts:
- Jodi's Family-- Do I understand correctly that they were on a sight-seeing trip today? If so, these people, like Jodi, have no grip on reality. There was always something about the bunch that doesn't connect-- their behavior, lack of emotion, etc. The poor grandmother slept thru most of the trial, the mom was void of any emotion and the sister looked bored thru Jodi's last words. And was there another brother that never attended? I don't mean to bash the family, but that's one strange brood!

- Jury- I'm thankful for their service and finding Jodi guilty to the max degree. Yes I'm disappointed that she's not going to death row, but there are other options that would/could be worse in my eyes. My only (some may call it petty) feedback is that I was surprised to see how they dress. I heard some were casual most days, but some were in flip flops, untucked t-shirts-- like they were grocery shopping. Seems so strange-- it's still a court of law and I would have expected jurors to at least dress biz casual.

Oh well-- I'm a total follower here vs active poster. I think I'm out of the Jodi Arias circus-- I honestly don't care for hearing about her any longer. I hope the Alexander family finds peace, but I don't care what happens to her-- either way she'll die in prison I believe.

Here is an article on Marcia Powell who died at Perryville:

Sixteen corrections employees have been fired, suspended or otherwise disciplined for their roles in the death of an inmate left in an outdoor holding cell for four hours in searing heat and for a "wait-them-out" practice at the prison where she died.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...door-cell-heat-article-1.388112#ixzz2UBTN5P9Y

That is Effing beyond me.. wow..seriously.. are we in China?

paraphrasing nancy grace's recent comment: "the only one that won today was jodi arias, she sat there and breathed a huge sigh of relief"

such utter nonsense on so many levels. in fact, from where i sat, ja appeared to be genuinely upset, stunned even, after hearing the verdict, once it actually sunk in. and they weren't tears of happiness having just dodged a bullet, nor was there any reaction remotely resembling a sigh of relief. i think ja genuinely thought she was going to get a life verdict, and then have a chance at parole once the judged weighed in.

anyway, most of hln's coverage has been nothing short of modern day freak show fare, a "step right up and see the shocking two-headed baby" type of shameless promotion, often leaving one, at least me, with a sense that a long shower was needed in order to scrub off the hln dirt. jvm, what on earth is up with her? my goodness.

wow! My lights just went out. :( Might have to go to car to keep comp charged. Can't do without my WS.

Although right now Arpaio has her on isolation - he did it to only to quell the intense backlash. He can't wait to get his Sweetheat back into General Pop.
So long as she keeps batting those eyes as he passes by her cell . . . he gets all excited and asks her if there is anything - ANYTHING he can do for her.

But no - we must stop this.
Whatever sentence Arias gets it should isolate her to be proper.

• STOP her continuous media contacts
  • STOP her tweets with that "It's Pat" look-alike
  • STOP contact with all her adoring legions of Prisoners who have her on a pedestal
  • STOP contact with her Lesbian Lover
  • STOP contact with her Single White Female "twin" - Wilmott !!

Arpaio has made sure she is taken care of . . . American Idol contest, Makeup, Clothes, media Blitz, etc, etc . . . it is a travesty of justice. He gives her EVERYTHING she wants and is smitten by her just as Dr Samuels and LaViolet were. She even has Dr Drew shouting down any guest that doesn't have "sorrow and pity for her".

No. NOOOO !!! She must be forcibly removed from all that.

Hi Summerfun,
FWIW this is what I feel was the issue that caused the hung jury:
(Other than hung jury) the only two choices the jury had were Death or Life.
So if a juror thought she deserved death, they could vote that way.
But what if a juror felt this case did not meet their own personal standard of death?
If they felt that way, then the only choice they would have is Life.
HOWEVER, if they chose life, then the JUDGE gets to decide if it is LWOP or Life with a possibility of parole.

I think THIS was the HUGE ROADBLOCK to a verdict.

Those that want death MIGHT agree with LWOP, but wouldn’t want to risk JSS allowing JA to ever be out on parole.
Those that felt a life sentence was appropriate, would not want to change to death because they felt it didn’t rise to their personal standard for death.

I feel a concern that JSS might allow a parole option created no way to really compromise.

I personally feel there is NO WAY the judge would give parole option , but have to remind myself that there is a LOT we know that the jurors do not.
Jurors do not know:
*That JSS saw the difference in JA’s demeanor the second the jury leaves the room.
*That the interviews happened or that JSS has been aware of them.
*That JSS has had to deal with irritants from JA like whining about when she eats, how long the day goes or (likely) feigning headaches.
*That due to in chambers meetings JSS knows even more than we do (and therefore, FAR more than the jury knows) about what has REALLY been going on the past 5 months with JA, her lawyers, their witnesses, etc.
*That JSS is probably SICK TO DEATH with the shenanigans of JA and her lawyers.
(I’m sure there are more that I’m not thinking of.)
So the jury (missing all that info) could have a real fear of parole for JA if they gave her life.

I think if they had been able to choose LWOP themselves, they would have been able to compromise/agree on that.

I truly felt the family's pain when I watched the video of the decision announcement. So awful for them to have to possibly face MORE trial, more time away from their lives, jobs, family and the financial burden of it all. How awful for them to have to see the smirk on JA's face because she surely feels "she won".

However, I don't believe they have had justice torn away from them. It is, painfully, justice delayed - but justice WILL be served.
JA has been found guilty of M1 (the BIGGEST issue) and the jury also found it extreme cruelty which opened up the option of DP and ensured some type of life sentence.

Now one of two things will happen:

1. Juan and the family will agree to let her avoid the DP by agreeing to LWOP.
or
2. They will choose to bring in a new jury, do a "mini" version of the trial and let the jury decide.

Either way, justice will come to JA.
She cannot avoid it forever -only for a few more months.

I have heard a lot of really angry, awful things said about the jury today -some here, some in the media, FB or on tv.
I REALLY don't feel it's fair.
They obviously felt terrible they couldn't reach a decision. They KNOW she is a brutal murderer. They KNOW Travis was the victim and the victim was not "mousey-librarian-wanna-be" JA.
I truly, truly feel they were put in a terrible position because of the situation with the parole or no parole issue above.
JMHO.

THANK YOU

I couldn'ta said it better myself :)

I've learned, you can't post a normal non attacking comment here but you are allowed to attack and keep posting....go figure

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's no discussing moderation. Hopefully, someday, you and I will be on the "right" side of things :)

Folks call him a pit bull.

They ain't seen nothin' yet, IMO.

I don't know if he'll get to cross her again, but I will be there with bells on and my Juan-poms if he does.

Absolutely I will tooo I will stand for juan and support whatever he does.

We can all go to bed knowing the Prosecutor got a fabulous conviction, Murder 1, premeditated and cruel on this horrible person.

Her sentence will be bleak or bleaker...depending on how she looks at it.

She will wear her unflattering stripes everyday and floppy shoes. They won't give her a book club, a sign language class or make her head of recycling. She is in a stone block cell the size of my smallest bathroom.

At least Travis' murderer is put away for life.

The prosecutor didn't lose, I wish they would stop saying that. Unanimous 12 person Jury Guilty of 1st Degree Murder with Premeditation and extraordinary cruel circumstances. SO 4 Jurors got hung up on the Death Penalty, they are human. Mr Martinez will go around with a new Jury in July for that part. He won, he won big.

I think the Alexander family was vindicated and everyone knows this woman is a liar and everything she said about him was a lie.

This is really a small part they need to do again.. Think of it as a small part, the main huge issues were won with no problem, with this Jury.

"they needed to realize that by not trying to come to a concensus they are going to force this family into having to wait and suffer many more days and months with no resolution."

I'm pretty sure they would not be allowed to factor this in when coming to a verdict.

Good Point. You are probably absolutely correct. Oh well. I guess the existing legal system we cannot worry about things like that. It is just so sad.

I honestly think the family would have rather had a LIFE sentence than no decision.

Walked away for a while earlier. Too much happening in my brain, needed to decompress...
Anyway, watching a hockey game now, flipped to Nancy because it is a blowout (Kings won), and I hear her say to Donovon "Ya know Ms. Bering, this is court, it's not a Sonic".
That is the first time I actually laughed all day.
Say what you want about NG, she can be annoying, loud, grating, etc., but she says some funny arse **** sometimes!

So...I am still on page 3 of this thread.
Everyone starting to calm down and accept this for what it is and look forward to future justice yet? I hope so.
Just be zen about it and think about Ms. A locked in her hot little cell in AZ all summer while we all are free to enjoy it as we wish.
Hopefully, The Alexanders can also find their own peaceful moments here and there until they have to go back and deal with her again.

Here is an article on Marcia Powell who died at Perryville:

Sixteen corrections employees have been fired, suspended or otherwise disciplined for their roles in the death of an inmate left in an outdoor holding cell for four hours in searing heat and for a "wait-them-out" practice at the prison where she died.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...door-cell-heat-article-1.388112#ixzz2UBTN5P9Y

Good grief. I expected to read that she was a convicted murder, not a prostitute. IMO, prostitution should be legal and regulated. So many employees involved. I wonder if they were placing bets on how long she could stand being outside in the heat or something that horrible.

Questions
Will the next trial proceed with the same judge and defense team

The Maricopa County Attorney's Office chose not to prosecute Arizona Department of Corrections staff in her death, claiming that there was "insufficient evidence to go forward with a prosecution against any of the named individuals".[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Prison_Complex_–_Perryville#Death_of_Marcia_Powell

Why?

Sounds like NYC : Three of those disciplined were fired, two stepped down in place of being fired, 10 received suspensions ranging from 40 to 80 hours, and one was demoted. Two others will be disciplined after they return from medical leave.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...door-cell-heat-article-1.388112#ixzz2UBYBrz4o

I don't mean to be insensitive, but there is the fact that there is an influx of money into the Phoenix area because of this trial and all the media attention. For example, people flying in and staying at hotels, etc, just for the trial. Restaraunts, hotel, stores, and on and on. So I find this point about the wasting of money on 2nd penalty trial to be moot. Arizona has already made money off of the trial, whether they wanted to or not, and so by logic we can say that that extra money could be used for trying the second part. That extra money went into the hands of citizens of Arizona (not by choice), but it is what it is.

I really feel kind of disgusted when people bring up the money thing, considering what I said above.

I feel that if the family wants to, the state should try it again. What can they lose? I've already addressed the money issue. If the 2nd jury can't agree...then it goes to JSS (who would I'm sure give LWOP), same as if they do a plea. THey are not going to somehow do a plea for less than LWOP. If they do sentence to death, then that's a win for the family.

For the reasons above, I feel that the State will re-try.

I agree that money is a lousy reason on which to base the decision. Like someone (Vinnie p?) said tonight on tv...
With all the money the government wastes on trivial things, justice is NOT the place I want them to cut corners! (paraphrasing but it was something like that).
I know the economy matters but JUSTICE and trying to keep our citizens SAFE from people like JA - it is worth the money spent. Cut bigwig government salaries, cut wasteful spending on studying "the bowel habits of the teet mouse" and ridiculous studies like that and GET THE CRIMINALS OFF OUR STREETS!

Here's the statement from Sheriff Joe folks:

"Because the jury in the Jodi Arias murder trial was hung, Arias will remain as a closed custody inmate in the Maricopa County Sheriff's Estrella Jail. Arias has been in Sheriff Arpaio's care and custody for five years and will stay with MCSO until the judicial system renders a final conclusion as to her fate. As a closed custody inmate, Arias remains in her 7x11 cell for 23 hours a day and Arpaio will no longer permit Arias to give media interviews."

http://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis/posts/480142382061909

Go, Sheriff Joe. :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads