verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the BEST group in the world! I was stepping of the Train and got so many messages Verdict was in! You are all fabulous! I'm back at my desk!

What timing, I raced home! Thank you all so much!

RT @MichaelHLN #JodiArias: Total deliberation time 15 hours, 5 min, 55 sec.

Whew.

I said the same thing!!

If I was on this jury - or any jury - and I felt strongly about my opinion...there is NO ONE that could change it. I would hang before I changed it.

And a hung jury doesn't give up at this point. I won't believe that is an option. They would have gone over ALL the evidence before that happened, and there is too much of that in this trial for it to be so thoroughly examined to come to that conclusion.

there's a verdict so there's no chance of a hung jury. they've agreed on something----just better be first degree!!!!!

My missing kitty came home this morning....stared and stared at me. I wanted to believe it was a sign of only good to come.... :)

mark my words, no jury will ever convict me....wrong wrong wrong

HLN's Beth Karas reported that juror #16 (Maureen ?) was wiping her eyes.

Could be good, bad, or nothing. Ugh I'm so nervous. I'm at a loss for words. I pray that the jury used reason and common sense, this case depends on it. The GUN was STOLEN anyway you slice it. Felony murder. Right?

When the verdict is read, the masses will go bonkers...
Be prepared to be chastised by fun haters who will
comment they don't get why people are cheering.
"This is a serious matter"..
You all know the types...
<Popping the bubbly>
Now, lets celebrate and decipher each others inebriated typos!
Tiny bubbles, in the wine, make me feel happy, make me feel fine.

I just had calls from three people making sure I knew they had reached a verdict. Of course I knew it for I was watching HLN.

Everyone knows this is a first degree murder case.

Pray.........pray...........pray that Travis has full justice today.

My heart and prayers are with Travis' family and all the many people who loves him.

IMO

I have to admit I came home early from work because I just had a feeling it would be today. After all of the pain, anger and tears I've shared with all of you I just couldn't imagine not being here to watch it live with all of you wonderful peeps. :grouphug:

This has 1st degree written all over it. It hasn't been long enough for a hung jury (obviously) and it also hasn't been long enough to hash out a compromise. There is no way they are going to vote to acquit. Ergo, 1st degree. Unless it isn't in which case you can just ignore that.

LOL.

I agree, long as the deliberation seemed 15 hours doesn't seem like long enough for someone who believed firmly in M1 to give in to a compromised verdict. IMO

And btw you should be taking credit for the verdict coming in today with that new computer of yours. Or something like that.

Defense attorney definitely thinks this favors the prosecution; said even if the jurors gave all that evidence a cursory glance, it doesn't bode well for the defense.

Having a rough time with the boards. Lots of people here today hoping for Justice for Travis. I have my blue on, with my blue candle lit.

I need a hug.

I want you to be right more than anything in the world.

Blessings for all who have waited so long for justice to come.

May it be served today.

IMO

God is with us. There were two possibilities here based on what I saw: a hung jury or guilty of murder one. And we know it's not hung.

It's going to be Murder 1... I can feel it!!

Or I can feel that shot of whiskey I just did.

Is my font real big and blue?

We are subscribing to the flip-flops = M1 over here. Anything less than M1 and they would have been done and possibly faced the press , if they wanted to. Flip-flops and casual because they are not done :pleaseprayplead:

I am curious about the effects of media attention has on jury deliberations.

Specifically I wonder if media attention can be shown to contaminate thoughtful orderly analysis of evidence and testimony.
I suspect that jurors are painfully aware of the notoriety and that their verdict will be highly scrutinized.
Jurors in high profile cases are then interviewed by HLN or 48 Hours and thus reap their own 15 minutes of fame.

My hunch is that intense media attention does indeed warp the &#8220;ordinary&#8221; deliberation process. Jurors are transmogrified into analytical machines of the first order as each and every one sniffs out holes in the state&#8217;s case. Forensic evidence normally not even mentioned is found to be in error. Horn failed to mention the dural tear at the entry wound THUS the state&#8217;s entire case is SUSPECT and THUS there is now cause to invoke &#8220;reasonable doubt&#8221;.

Media attention paid to crime cases fulfills NO obvious public good. There is really no sincere &#8220;right for the public to know&#8221; question when allowing cameras into the courtroom. Why not?
Otherwise the courts should place cameras in every court room and let the public dial through the various cases being adjudicated on any given day. Cities should provide this as an ordinary public service just like cameras often cover City Council debates.

The Arias case is a veritable "train wreck" and its lure is based on prurient interests stemming from the viewing public. Because the Arias case is blood curdling and sensational, it possesses immense entertainment value.
The Arias case is being covered intensely because HLN can parlay viewership ratings into big buck profits. The price the public will pay for HLN&#8217;s intense scrutiny- or all the HLN After Dark episodes - is another miscarriage of justice and jury verdict error.

You have some good comments here, but I would like to point out the obvious and that is these jurors are making a decision based on the evidence and what was presented in Court during this trial. Whether it was televised or not, has nothing to do with the verdict. You are implying that due to the highly publicized nature of this trial that a verdict will be tainted? Or the verdict will be influenced somehow? Not quite sure what you think is going to happen, we&#8217;ve seen many highly publicized and controversial trials in the last 2 decades that have been televised with all different outcomes, i.e., to name a few.

Ted Bundy &#8211; 3 Death Penalties - Bundy&#8217;s trial holds the distinction of being the first to be televised nationally. Dubbed the Chi Omega murder case because of his brutal attacks on four of the Florida State University sorority&#8217;s members, it was covered by 250 reporters from five continents in 1979. Bundy, who later confessed to committing at least 30 homicides from 1974-1978, was convicted of three death sentences in two separate trials and executed in the electric chair in 1989.

The Menendez Brothers &#8211; Life Sentences, In 1993, millions of viewers tuned in to the first trial of Erik and Lyle Menendez for the shotgun slayings of their parents (It was one of Court TV&#8217;s first high-profile broadcasts). But the judge declared a mistrial on January 13, 1994, after jurors could not agree on a manslaughter or first-degree sentence. The brothers&#8217; second trial was not televised and ended with a conviction of both Menendez&#8217;s for murder in the first-degree and two consecutive life-in-prison terms.

OJ Simpson &#8211; Acquitted, Dubbed the case that changed modern courtroom coverage, over a 100 million people tuned in (giving the broadcast a 45.7 Nielsen rating) October 3, 1995 to watch Simpson receive an acquittal verdict for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.

Scott Peterson &#8211; Death Penalty, convicted of murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn son in Modesto, California in 2002. Peterson's arrest and subsequent trial received significant American news media coverage until 2005, when he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. He remains on death row in San Quentin State Prison while his case is on appeal to the Supreme Court of California

Phil Spector, - Convicted of 2nd Degree, 2009, the legendary music producer was found guilty of murder in the second degree for the death of actress Lana Clarkson. Cameras were not allowed in the courtroom for the duration of the trial--his second, the first was broadcast in full in 2007, but ended with a hung jury--but were present on the day of the verdict.

Casey Anthony &#8211; Acquitted, Ratings have yet to be released, but Anthony&#8217;s July 5th verdict stands to be one of the most widely viewed in recent history. CNN&#8217;s website reported a 30 percent spike in traffic with 1.9 million viewers tuning in to its live video stream from the courtroom.

So what does this tell us about high profile cases that are televised? Not much really, unless you actually think they are influenced one way or another. But to say that all trials should NOT be televised, when the public can actually walk into any courtroom in the country where there is a trial going on, is ridiculous. It is the public citizen&#8217;s right to see how trials are conducted. And if you want to go one step further, take another example of the news coverage in today&#8217;s society. Networks are taking full advantage of the what is going on right now in Ohio with the 3 missing women that were found alive (thank God) after being kidnapped, and enslaved for 10 years. They are taking advantage of all the coverage they will get on that story, isn&#8217;t it the same thing? Does that mean we don&#8217;t have a right to know? Look at the heroes and people connected with this story that will be making money off the tragedy here? You can&#8217;t look at society the same anymore, everyone has an agenda. That&#8217;s just the way it is, but we have to have confidence in human nature that everyone has good intentions and are doing the right thing. We have to have faith in the justice system and these jurors that they are doing their job and are not being influenced by anything other than the evidence. They&#8217;ve pledged to do their duty, and we need to trust they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea