VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the prevailing thinking here that the jury may be weighing whether their vote for Life means Jodi may be free one day down the road, so they may be considering a vote for Death for her only to ensure she stays in prison for life? If so, I like the way they think. Because it also means she'll live out the rest of her days in solitary confinement, and that's all I really want for her anyway. :)

Edited to add: if any of the jurors are not at first inclined to vote for death, does that mean they see a mitigator for her, but are conflicted on how to vote to keep her in prison for life? Interesting dilemma.

Oh my, why not have both, we could have several Slime Highway drinks... they could be the house special. :giggle:
I don't know, somehow I don't think it would have broad appeal, kind of reserved for the crazy college kids, you know? Kind of like go ahead and order it, but you can't be sure where you're gonna wake up, and who with.

Thanks, TM. So I guess it's up to the jury then to evaluate the evidence and testimony to strike all the mitigators (such as they are) so ultimately all that's left is the lone aggravating factor of cruelty against her? I do understand that if any of the jurors feel that JA has even one mitigator in her favor that negates their single vote for death penalty verdict. Veddy intedestingk. We shall see.

Juan's opening in the ag phase was very powerful. He painted a picture of Travis sitting in the shower and suddenly being stabbed. He's naked, sitting, wet and trapped on three sides. He grabs the blade with his left hand twice, he tries to protect himself with his right hand. He's been stabbed in the heart. His chest is becoming tight. He manages to get to his sink where he can see the blood coming from his body. His bloody hands smear the sink top. In the mirror he can see this person he once trusted and cared about raising the knife, stabbing his back and the back of his head. He makes an effort to flee but at the end of the tile he falls. He slides down the wall creating a blood rainbow, landing face up. He can see his killer with her knife advance on him. The last thing he sees is her. The last thing he feels is her knife against his throat. Death ends the extreme cruelty she inflicted and he is finally out of pain.

OT

My husband brought me home a tub of my favourite sorbet tonight and I've already eaten half of it while hitting "refresh" every 2 secs. Hopefully my trigger finger will burn the sorbet calories.

:/

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Also, I'm a little dismayed that the jury can't give Arias LWOP because IMO it makes a deadlock more likely.

I would name the restaurant/bar/pub

Shhh it's a Secret!

And purposely have a really small space between the first two words.

OT

My husband brought me home a tub of my favourite sorbet tonight and I've already eaten half of it while hitting "refresh" every 2 secs. Hopefully my trigger finger will burn the sorbet calories.

I'll support that theory.

So is the prevailing thinking here that the jury may be weighing whether their vote for Life means Jodi may be free one day down the road, so they may be considering a vote for Death for her only to ensure she stays in prison? If so, I like the way they think. Because it also means she'll live out the rest of her days in solitary confinement, and that's all I really want for her anyway. :)

Edited to add: if any of the jurors are not at first inclined to vote for death, does that mean they see a mitigator for her, but are conflicted on how to vote to keep her in prison for life? Interesting dilemma.

I don't know if that's the prevailing thought here but certainly there have been cases where the jury considered the consequences to society should the criminal ever have a possibility of release.

IMO, that is, since I have no stats regarding this.

Juan's opening in the ag phase was very powerful. He painted a picture of Travis sitting in the shower and suddenly being stabbed. He's naked, sitting, wet and trapped on three sides. He grabs the blade with his left hand twice, he tries to protect himself with his right hand. He's been stabbed in the heart. His chest is becoming tight. He manages to get to his sink where he can see the blood coming from his body. His bloody hands smear the sink top. In the mirror he can see this person he once trusted and cared about raising the knife, stabbing his back and the back of his head. He makes an effort to flee but at the end of the tile he falls. He slides down the wall creating a blood rainbow, landing face up. He can see his killer with her knife advance on him. The last thing he sees is her. The last thing he feels is her knife against his throat. Death ends the extreme cruelty she inflicted and he is finally out of pain.

BOOM! I recall that *modsnip*, psychotic, *modsnip* saying that Travis said "I can't feel my legs".... well, I wonder why? I wish the verdict form could read... F'N KILL YOU B ITCH!!!!!

I know there were 8 or 9 mitigating factors listed in the jury instructions for the jury to consider in their deliberations. (right?)

Was there also a list of x number of aggravating factors for the jury to weigh against the mitigators, or are they to weigh the mitigators against the all the state's evidence in total? (including Juan ripping the defense experts to shreds)

As always, "TIA" in advance. :)

There is a good article by Monica Lindstrom on what the jury is deliberating in this phase, including the differences in mitigating factors from the previous mitgating phase in 2013, here.

The focus in this phase is on the mitigating factors only. The aggravation phase involves the prosecution laying out the aspects that qualify the crime as being especially cruel, and the defense seeks to refute. Here, the defense presents the factors that "mitigate" the heinous crime committed, such that the defendant not be given the DP; the prosecution attempts to counter.

For this jury, the mitigating factors presented:
1. Arias has no prior criminal history.
2. Arias was just 27 years old at the time she killed Travis Alexander.
3. Arias is remorseful.
4. Arias suffered both physical and emotional abuse as a child.
5. Arias suffered both physical and emotional abuse during her relationship with Travis Alexander.
6. The abusive nature of Arias' relationship with Travis Alexander caused her to suffer extreme emotional distress.
7. Arias has been diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
8. Arias has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.
9. Arias' psychological makeup impaired her ability to cope with the tumultuous relationship she had with Alexander.

What did you think of the interview Tex?

Eta: the interview with sky, I mean?

I think she's a nice woman who crossed paths with a psychopath. Jodi began saying she was going to marry Travis in December. She would meet him there and for a while it was normal laughing and hand holding according to Sky. Then Jodi started whining that Travis wasn't asking her to move to Mesa. She complained that she wasn't #1 on his MySpace. She made her MySpace likes and such a mirror of Travis's page. She complained that Travis always told Deanna that he loved her.
When she told Jodi she was no longer welcome at the house, Jodi stayed another couple of hours. After that they didn't speak at PPL functions. The next time they heard from her was after she killed Travis she emailed them to see if they were ok.
She knew Jodi was to blame when they learned Travis was dead but she didn't want it to be true. It broke her heart that Travis knew in his last moments that this person he had once cared so much for was killing him

BOOM! I recall that *modsnip*, psychotic, *modsnip* saying that Travis said "I can't feel my legs".... well, I wonder why? I wish the verdict form could read... KILL YOU B ITCH!!!!!

Oh, Lordy... I wonder if that's why JA was kicking TA in the legs? "Do you feel THAT? HUH? DO ya?!" Seems like something she would do to the poor guy. Kick him when he's down. What a freaking <wing snip> she is!

OT

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Also, I'm a little dismayed that the jury can't give Arias LWOP because IMO it makes a deadlock more likely.

Munching Oreos and imagining the scummy showers that vicious, stabby persons must use in PerryVille.
Scummy soap slime melting down walls, black gunk in the crevices, leg chains clanking, echoing off the concrete.
Tiny bottle of Prell and crusty Lava soap. Burlap granny undies.

How often do inmates change clothes?
Does a new set of under-bloomers get stuffed through the food slot every morning?
Are you chained to the wall by the leg while you shower, or is that a choking hazard?
Do staff address you by last name, or, a number, do they use a calm tone or a stern tone?
Is there maid service to mop up spills.
Does Large Marge occasionally hose down the cell, while a convict is on the hamster wheel outside?
I have these and many other questions...to pass the time..

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

They had witnessed Jodi 's weird behavior, spying on Travis, following him everywhere, listening outside the bathroom door when he was in there. That's all I remember.

Ah thanks, that right! You know this is true about the mirroring .. I checked out her and his diaries and she copied everything about him, for instance his and her diaries were a mixture of PPL affirmations, quotes from self-help books, and tales of their personal lives (mostly the quest for love), they even both signed off the same way ie using their 3 initials .. It's amazing how much she tried to mould herself into a female version of him. Also her stories have changed, that story about Travis feeding a homeless man a burger appears in her diary as him feeding 3 starving dogs. Truly weird.

BOOM! I recall that *modsnip*, psychotic, *modsnip* saying that Travis said "I can't feel my legs".... well, I wonder why? I wish the verdict form could read... F'N KILL YOU B ITCH!!!!!

I have thought about this also, and have a couple thoughts on it. One is re: the question that she may have have stun gunned or tasered him, which I know nothing about, just thinking if that would cause the loss of sensation in his legs. I realize this is all speculation, as this possibility has never been brought out in court.
The other, more likely, imo, is that the loss of sensation in his legs was caused by damage to his spinal cord as a result of the stabbing wounds to his back. :(

ETA: The killer was purposely torturing him, in the same manner that a psychopathic child tortures a kitten or puppy, IMO. I agree with an earlier post, that the bruises on his legs were from her kicking him, taunting him. She wanted to see him suffer, and she took pleasure in it. :cry: CMJA is a Bad Seed, evil to the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme