Vesuvius eruption AD79 - face of victim reconstructed

Discussion in 'General Information & Discussion' started by MelmothTheLost, Jun 21, 2017.

1. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

Not crime related, but interesting nonetheless.

Scientists piece together the exploded skull of a 50-year-old man, who died in 500°C heat from the Mount Vesuvius eruption 2,000 years ago, to reveal his face for the first time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...reconstructed-2-000-years-Mount-Vesuvius.html

I did wonder about putting this chap in the Unidentified section but decided there's probably nobody still looking for him.

However, it's worth mentioning that the Roman writer Pliny the Elder died during the eruption on the shore at Herculaneum - and he was around 55 or 56 when he died (around the right age) and from the upper class (as the UID was believed to be). Had his companions not found his body when they returned to the site several days later when the eruption was ended, I would suggest calling it in .....:happydance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

2. Loading...

3. No it's not

No it's not that simple

Fascinating! Thank you very much for sharing it.

-Nin

4. masquerading

masquerading Member

Super cool, I didn't know scientists were trying to create reconstructions of the victims. I'd be interested to see if they're able to recreate more faces in the future.

5. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

wild!