Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo test flight crashes in Mojave Desert - 1 dead, 1 injured

Why all the consternation over the death of one individual in this pioneering endeavor----How many men did Columbus lose in quest for the New World. Like Branson said, if you don't take risks you don't go anywhere and all those pilots families will be well taken care of----not so much for those 30,000 who are killed in auto accidents----lets put things into the proper perspective.

I would bet there isn't much $$ left to care for the families of pilot that was killed nor the one who was severely injured.

Of course it's sad that the pilot died but test-flying new things that go to space is an inherently risky occupation. This is a terrible setback for the project.

I hope that the project will continue. Going to space is hard but the dream and vision are worth pursuing (at least to me). The technology developed to go to space could be useful elsewhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-500million-project-vows-finish-started.html

"A family member has revealed to MailOnline that the pilot who was killed in Friday's Virgin spaceship tragedy is Michael Alsbury, a father of two with 15 years of flying experience
His heartbroken widow Michelle Saling told MailOnline, 'I have lost the love of my life, I am living in hell right now'

Branson told the media on Saturday he had never before met Alsbury, although there is video of the two talking and celebrating one of the pilot's runs in April 2013"

Sad that this man gave his life for the Branson's egotistical quest and Branson can't even remember meeting him. I am devastated for his wife. Her loss is unimaginable while Branson's "loss" is barely a blip on his radar and he is going on with his life and plans . Branson said "'Space is hard - but worth it. We will persevere and move forward together." while the deceased pilots widow is "in living hell" and 2 children no longer have a father.

What was the intended maximum altitude of this flight?

What was the intended maximum altitude of this flight?

"The fatal flight was part of SpaceShipTwo's years-long test program, following up on the successful suborbital spaceflights of the smaller SpaceShipOne rocket plane in 2004. Virgin Galactic had said SpaceShipTwo's first test flight to an outer-space altitude — usually defined as 100 kilometers, or 62 miles — could have taken place before the end of the year. "

I don't know if that exactly answers the question you wanted answered. I don;t know what the altitude was when it failed during the flight.

So...Branson's raison d'etre -- apart from profit motive -- is....what, exactly? All I'm getting from this is seat sales to rich folk.

So...Branson's raison d'etre -- apart from profit motive -- is....what, exactly? All I'm getting from this is seat sales to rich folk.

And stroking of Branson's ego.

Apparently Branson has to go to outer space because earth alone does not hold enough room for his enormous ego.

There were some articles written earlier this year that claimed that SpaceShipTwo would not even be capable of reaching 50 miles (~80 km) altitude. I wonder if they were trying to push it passed its limits with that new fuel.

Who piloted the carrier ship from which the crashed vehicle separated? The carrier looks like two planes connected to each other.

Apparently Branson has to go to outer space because earth alone does not hold enough room for his enormous ego.

Probably so, but can't the same be said of Sir Walter Raleigh, Ferdinand and Isabel, and others who sent explorers into unknown territory?

Sad that this man gave his life for the Branson's egotistical quest and Branson can't even remember meeting him. I am devastated for his wife. Her loss is unimaginable while Branson's "loss" is barely a blip on his radar and he is going on with his life and plans . Branson said "'Space is hard - but worth it. We will persevere and move forward together." while the deceased pilots widow is "in living hell" and 2 children no longer have a father.

SBM. It isn't fair to say that this loss is "barely a blip on his radar" - we don't know how Branson feels and to speculate that he feels nothing appears to me to unnecessarily mean. The death of the pilot is very sad and will obviously be difficult for his family; Branson will mourn the death of the pilot in his own way which is not our business.

It is unreasonable to expect that Branson will halt the project because someone has died. This is his vision and his dream and why shouldn't he continue trying to reach his goal? The project is risky, of course, and being a test pilot for this or any project always carries the risk of death. The fact that he has the means to pursue his vision in the face of tragedy doesn't make him egotistical, it makes him a man of vision and someone who is lucky to have the means he does.

Branson didn't make all that money being a quitter! He won't stop now.

gaia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back