Virginia ended last budget with $220 million surplus

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by LookingUp, Jul 14, 2010.

1. LookingUp

LookingUp New Member

2. Loading...

3. Pandora

Pandora New Member

Thank you, LookingUp, for some good news--even if it isn't my state. :)

4. Truthful Lies

Truthful Lies "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's c

Hate to whine, but VA is in desperate need of some services (i.e. severe shortage of mental health professionals in certain places). They cut things left and right...and now they say it's a surplus? I can't see how....when things they cut to get this "surplus" have adversely affected almost all of VA citizens. =(

5. LookingUp

LookingUp New Member

Oh, gosh ... I hear ya! The school system especially has suffered from cuts. Teachers let go, programs eliminated, etc. Even closures. Guess now that there are funds to go around ... this "so called" surplus will create "so called" new jobs that didn't needed to be cut to begin with. Frustrating, eh?

6. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Active Member

I live in virginia. Our school district is full of excessive spending. New flat screens in every class. One school bought new bikes for every kid who had perfect attendance. The 220 million is most likey because every day the school was closed due to snow storms we saved that much money.

7. Truthful Lies

Truthful Lies "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's c

Well, with as much snow as we had, I know we spent millions clearing roads and trees...repairing roads, etc. I think the schools being closed would be minimal...teachers still got paid...it would really just be the operating costs and buses. I dunno. Just sad to hear they're touting a surplus when there really isn't....