Vitamins plus ibuprofen may ward off Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Dark Knight, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

For patients at high risk of Alzheimer's disease, taking a combination of vitamins E and C plus ibuprofen significantly reduces their risk, results of a longitudinal study suggest.

Specifically, the combination seems to benefit people who carry a variant of the gene for apolipoprotein, APOE-4, which is known to put them at high risk for developing Alzheimer's disease.

"We found that for people at low risk, taking vitamin C and E alone is sufficient to further reduce their risk," Dr. Majid Fotuhi told Reuters Health. "But for those with (APOE-4), the combination exerts a synergistic benefit."

As to what dose of ibuprofen to use, Fotuhi urges caution, since the drug can lead to stomach ulcers. He recommends a dose no higher than 100 milligrams per day.

He is so encouraged by these findings that he has patented a combination pill containing vitamins C and E, ibuprofen, and "a small amount of omega-3 fatty acid."

Much more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060407/hl_nm/vitamins_alzheimers_dc&printer=1

2. Loading...

3. Anniegirl

Anniegirl Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the

WOW.. this is interesting -- i take many supplements- im totally 'vitaminzed" hehe.. but only take ibuprofen for cramps , etc. and 100 mg of ibupropfen? the tabs i have are 600 mg- have to figure how to cut that baby in sixth..:eek:

4. indigomood

indigomood Active Member

Interesting, thanks for the link! :blowkiss:

anyone know the name of the combo pill as stated here? I couldn't find it when i googled....

"He is so encouraged by these findings that he has patented a combination pill containing vitamins C and E, ibuprofen, and "a small amount of omega-3 fatty acid."