GUILTY VT - Daniel Bendz, 30, killed by birthday gift, Hinesburg, 20 Jan 2007

dark_shadows said:
Thank you for posting this dark shadows. What a tragic and completely preventable death. I can't imagine how the family members feel about losing him--and the way he died. Just awful. Even if he understood that there were potential dangers in mixing alcohol with drugs, no doubt his judgement and inhibition level was three sheets to the wind as he was. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. When will we learn?

Lion

I would think his friend IS responsible for giving him the pills...being it is illegal to dispense medication and illegal for him to even have. Overdoses are normally attributed to the person ingesting the drugs being responsible on some level, but in this particular case...it was common knowledge he was drunk before they were provided to him, plus the guy admitted to it. They certainly have a case. (Had Birthday Boy purchased the drugs from an anonymous source...it would be a different circumstance.) Just my opinion, of course.

SeriouslySearching said:
I would think his friend IS responsible for giving him the pills...being it is illegal to dispense medication and illegal for him to even have. Overdoses are normally attributed to the person ingesting the drugs being responsible on some level, but in this particular case...it was common knowledge he was drunk before they were provided to him, plus the guy admitted to it. They certainly have a case. (Had Birthday Boy purchased the drugs from an anonymous source...it would be a different circumstance.) Just my opinion, of course.
Hi SeriouslySearching,:)
I appreciate your post and it is very nice to meet you. Welcome to Websleuths.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

LionRun said:
Thank you for posting this dark shadows. What a tragic and completely preventable death. I can't imagine how the family members feel about losing him--and the way he died. Just awful. Even if he understood that there were potential dangers in mixing alcohol with drugs, no doubt his judgement and inhibition level was three sheets to the wind as he was. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. When will we learn?

Lion
Dear Lion,:blowkiss:
You have written a very heartfelt post and you are right about the family members and how they feel about losing him. I saw Nyugen today and it appears that the full impact of what happened to his friend has not hit him yet.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Hi SeriouslySearching,:)
I appreciate your post and it is very nice to meet you. Welcome to Websleuths.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Thanks, Dark! Nice to meet you, too! Very informative site, yet quite jolting in so many ways.
Sincerely,
SS

Thank you dark shadows:blowkiss: . It is just such a waste of a life, and so darn tragic.

How did you see him today dk? I recall a while back that Lakegirl and you worked together and it helped to get someone back to you. Do you work in LE? If you do, you must see a lot of the results of people making bad choices.

Best,
Lion

dark_shadows said:
Dear Lion,:blowkiss:
You have written a very heartfelt post and you are right about the family members and how they feel about losing him. I saw Nyugen today and it appears that the full impact of what happened to his friend has not hit him yet.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Such a heartbreaking story which hits too close to home for me to even think about. I have in the past been both the person who overdosed and the person who supplied illegal narcotics to others as gifts. I am very gratfeul not to be either of those people today and my prayers go out to everyone effected by this senseless death.

SeriouslySearching said:

I agree with you, SeriouslySearching.

My nephew almost died from this very same mistake. Mixing alcohol with Oxycontin at a party. He was only about 19 at the time. I wonder if he had died, would they have wanted to charge whomever gave him the pills? He didn't buy them and noone living in the house was being prescribed that drug. The kids who brought him home and dumped him on the couch thought it was funny to balance a chess peice on his forhead when they left. That is how my sister found him the next morning unconscious with a chess piece on his forehead. Kids are so stupid and thoughtless.

He is 21 now and suffers from depression and low self-esteem and just generally feels no real joy and elation in his life. I worry about him. Those guys who were supposed to be his friends never call him now since he is not partying and they still are.

LionRun said:
Thank you dark shadows:blowkiss: . It is just such a waste of a life, and so darn tragic.

How did you see him today dk? I recall a while back that Lakegirl and you worked together and it helped to get someone back to you. Do you work in LE? If you do, you must see a lot of the results of people making bad choices.

Best,
Lion
Hey Lion, :blowkiss:

He is housed in the facility I work at.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

SeriouslySearching said:
Thanks, Dark! Nice to meet you, too! Very informative site, yet quite jolting in so many ways.
Sincerely,
SS
Hey there SS,:)
I appreciate your post.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Hey Lion, :blowkiss:

He is housed in the facility I work at.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Now I understand dark shadows:). I imagine this man may begin to feel more once the clouding effects of the pain killers he was taking wear off.

Best,

Lion

LionRun said:
Now I understand dark shadows:). I imagine this man may begin to feel more once the clouding effects of the pain killers he was taking wear off.

Best,

Lion
Hey Lion,
You are so right about that.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics