VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

I always hope that anything can be of use in helping to solve cold cases and disappearances. With that said, I doubt anything will amount from this connection. It kind of reminds of Kristin Smart and how Scott Peterson was investigated as a possible suspect in her disappearance because they went to the same school. Or Virginia Rambus and how Jesse Pratt is being/was investigated in her disappearance because they "knew each other". Sometimes coincidences exist. Again, regardless if there turns out to something here or not, I'm glad investigators are still reviewing her case.

Durst owned and operated the All Good Things health-food store in Middlebury during the early 1970s, police said.

Schulze, 18, a Middlebury College freshman, was last seen standing across from the heath food store and the Vermont Transit bus station on Court Street at about 2:15 p.m. Dec. 10, 1971, officials said. She also was seen earlier — at about 12:30 p.m. — outside the store eating dried prunes purchased at Durst's store.

WOW! This quoted stuff is new to me. Lynne was in shockingly close proximity to Durst. They have to investigate this like there's no tomorrow. Get DNA, anything. Distances are too close to be coincidental or ruled out.

Satch

Not necessarily convinced about Durst here. His proximity would appear to make him a suspect, but as of right now, I'm waiting to see if people who attended Middlebury with Lynne check in here with some Durst stories, or some other, more incriminating evidence. Prior to Durst's name coming up, it looked a bit like she was thought to be depressed during exam time-Middlebury is a highly selective college, and i'm sure Lynne was being challenged academically there. Surely not the first time a student disappeared at such a time.

I do think he's responsible for killing his wife and Susan Berman, though.

Has anyone seen any mention of what building her class was in and which was her dorm? I live in Middlebury and I am very willing to take photos of any areas of interest if it would be helpful.

Update: Middlebury Police Probe Potential Link to Cold Case

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/update-middlebury-police-probe-potential-link-to-cold-case/Content?oid=3085021

The burst of publicity did bring in some tips and recollections, but Schulze's disappearance remains a mystery.

Durst has declined to talk to Middlebury police, according to Chief Thomas Hanley, who said he believes the incarcerated man could provide information that would help resolve the case.

"We know that there was contact between them; we know that she went in there," Hanley said, referring to the health food store Durst owned in the '70s.

Locals may know more than they're saying, too.

"There are some people we suspect are somewhat reluctant to speak with us in depth," Hanley said, adding: "They may be holding a few things back."

There's something about the Robert Durst angle that feels especially right. At the time of Schultze's disappearance, Durst was somewhat estranged from his family, both in geography and lifestyle/values. He had quit the family business to open All Good Things against father Seymour's advice and long-held wish that he, as first-born, be groomed for stewardship of the Durst Corporation. If Lynne was his first transgression, it's easy to see a young Robert Durst being covered for and brought back to New York and the Durst Corporation under the watchful eye of his father so that nothing like that ever happened again (which, of course, it did).

Charlie Project claims that Lynne was seen eating prunes across the street from Durst's store. "All The Good Things." Too much coincidence in my view for Durst not to be involved. Was he ever interviewed in regards to Lynne's disappearance?

Updates of Lynne's case from Charlie Project. (Sorry if pereviously posted:)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schulze_lynne.html

It now gives the time of Lynne's exam and the time she was seen eating across the street from Durst's store. If Charley Project's information is correct about the time frame, it would be impossible for Lynne to go back to her dorm for her pen and be on time for the test. It also says that "Lynne planned to take a bus to New York, but the bus had already left." Why would she do that before her test? Why would she leave her friends walking to the exam together for a pen, knowing that she was going to be late? This would put Lynne in a pressure situation, both academtically, and physically?

Could she had been drawn to Robert Durst and met a tragic fate? Or did she just want to disappear? How much did Lynne know about Robert Durst? This information is so coincidental that it is frightening!

Satch

Charlie Project claims that Lynne was seen eating prunes across the street from Durst's store. "All The Good Things." Too much coincidence in my view for Durst not to be involved. Was he ever interviewed in regards to Lynne's disappearance?

Robert Durst's attorneys have blocked VT investigators from interviewing him regarding Lynne Schulze. Given his age, the lack of a crime scene, and the still-unknown whereabouts of Lynne's remains, it seems likely that Durst will escape prosecution for her murder.

It occurs to me how similar Lynne was to one of Durst's alleged later victims, Karen Mitchell: young and pretty, sure, but also tremendously smart and uncommonly sensitive. They were both working-class romantics, idealistic, slightly dreamy, and raised in loving, extended families. Most importantly, both vanished in a flash from the side of a road where Robert Durst had been seen.

It also occurs to me that, circumstances of their disappearance aside, this description of Lynne and Karen could easily be applied to Kathleen McCormack, Durst's still-missing first wife. If he is indeed connected to these disappearances, it can't be said that Durst doesn't have a type.

There is no evidence that any of Durst's probable killings were sexually motivated. He seems to have killed because he felt threatened and there is no evidence Lynne ever met Durst, much less threatened him in some way.

There is no evidence that any of Durst's probable killings were sexually motivated. He seems to have killed because he felt threatened and there is no evidence Lynne ever met Durst, much less threatened him in some way.

True, but Durst is still the first solid lead in...what? 40 years? Might as well investigate further.

As for his sexual appetite, it's not reported on often but it certainly does run to the exotic:
http://www.gq.com/story/killer-in-the-blue-dress

Also, Durst's violent, abusive behavior toward his first wife (which he freely admits to) has control/possession at its core. That kind of pathology toward women doesn't just develop full-spring in adulthood, nor does it go away on its own.

Simply put, Robert Durst NEEDS to be interviewed about Lynne Schulze as well as Karen Mitchell. (And possibly Kristen Modaferri, though the connection there is far more tenuous.)

Police told family that Durst was dealing drugs at the time of Lynne's disappearance; not sure what relevance this has, but police brought it up for some reason. They also said that the national forest near Durst hadn't been searched thoroughly enough because at the time, they didn't have enough resources. There is in fact a road (they didn't bring this road up - I found it on a map) leading almost directly from Durst's shop on Court St to the Green Mountain National Forest. By mentioning that the forest was "right next to Durst's property" I don't know if they mean his shop, or some other property he owned that actually abutted the forest.

The college floated the idea that her parents weren't interested in having her searched for right away, but this isn't true - her parents very much wanted her searched for. I think the college was just embarrassed that it took them so long to notify the parents that she was missing in the first place.

Police told family that Durst was dealing drugs at the time of Lynne's disappearance; not sure what relevance this has, but police brought it up for some reason. They also said that the national forest near Durst hadn't been searched thoroughly enough because at the time, they didn't have enough resources. There is in fact a road (they didn't bring this road up - I found it on a map) leading almost directly from Durst's shop on Court St to the Green Mountain National Forest. By mentioning that the forest was "right next to Durst's property" I don't know if they mean his shop, or some other property he owned that actually abutted the forest.

The college floated the idea that her parents weren't interested in having her searched for right away, but this isn't true - her parents very much wanted her searched for. I think the college was just embarrassed that it took them so long to notify the parents that she was missing in the first place.
Can you link the map or do you know the road name? I'm local so I would be happy to answer questions about locations, distances, or even take pictures if it would be helpful.

It's pretty common knowledge here that Durst sold marijuana for sure and possibly other stuff like acid.

It's kind of creepy reading statements from the police that they believe there might be locals with knowledge of what happened. My parents didn't move here until after he left Vermont, but a lot of my parents' friends are the hippy new age type and used to frequent the store, so there's always that question rolling around in the back of my mind.

Can you link the map or do you know the road name? I'm local so I would be happy to answer questions about locations, distances, or even take pictures if it would be helpful.

It's pretty common knowledge here that Durst sold marijuana for sure and possibly other stuff like acid.

It's kind of creepy reading statements from the police that they believe there might be locals with knowledge of what happened. My parents didn't move here until after he left Vermont, but a lot of my parents' friends are the hippy new age type and used to frequent the store, so there's always that question rolling around in the back of my mind.

All Good Things (Durst's store) was 15 Court St; just a few blocks up is Washington; hang a right and then another right on Seminary, which becomes Quarry and leads to the woods. I believe it's about a 10 min drive but would have to double ck; might be 15.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back