VT - Mark Hulett for raping young girl, Williston, 2005

This is pathetic to let someone go after 60 days for that charge. He'll be right in the same neighborhood again......either looking for the victim or his next victim. I'm not so sure had I been the Mother if I wouldn't of loaded a gun a shot the purp......what are the odds she'd of got over 90 days for murder?????:confused:

From WCAX.com

Hulett, 34, pled guilty to sexually assaulting a friend's young daughter at least fifty times over a two year period, starting when the little girl was only seven.

Pic of Hulett
k2zhfs.jpg

I am shocked at this judge and I hope the media gets on this and doesn't let up until he is removed from the bench!

The state Wednesday ordered that a child molester considered a low risk get treatment in prison, responding to a judge who set off furious criticism by giving the defendant a 60-day sentence to ensure he received treatment quickly.

Human Services Secretary Michael Smith said he was issuing the order so that Vermont District Court Judge Edward Cashman would impose a lengthy sentence on Mark Hulett, who admitted molesting a girl beginning when she was 6.

"We will provide treatment in prison for Mr. Hulett," Smith said. "In return I would hope the court would decide to side with the prosecutors."

Prosecutors were set to return to court Friday to ask Cashman to reconsider his Jan. 4 sentence. Neither prosecutors nor Hulett's attorney, Mark Kaplan, could immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

Smith said his order allowing treatment for Hulett in prison could apply to future inmates.

"What I am saying is that if judges are going to use this as an excuse then I will provide treatment," he said.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/3581026.html

Nancy Grace did a segment on this case tonight. A defense lawyer made the statement this was a just verdict thought Nancy Grace was gonna whop her. Don't like Nancy Grace getting hostile but tonight I was NG cheering section.

cheko1 said:
Nancy Grace did a segment on this case tonight. A defense lawyer made the statement this was a just verdict thought Nancy Grace was gonna whop her. Don't like Nancy Grace getting hostile but tonight I was NG cheering section.

Was that the woman attorney who says she defend sex offenders all the time? I was glad Nancy cut her off.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4351475&nav=menu183_2urlington, Vermont -- January 11, 2006
New developments Wednesday in the firestorm over the sentencing of a child-rapist.

State officials are offering the judge a chance to live up to his claim that he really wanted to issue a longer sentence.

Judge Edward Cashman claims prison policies forced him to impose a 60-day sentence on convicted child rapist Mark Hulett.

Wednesday state prison officials offered to change those policies to encourage the judge to change his sentence.

"As a state official and as a father I was appalled by this decision," said Human Services Secretary Mike Smith's about the 60-day prison sentence imposed on child-rapist Mark Hulett by Judge Edward Cashman.

"Mark Hulett needs to be punished. And what I'm going to do is remove the obstacle so this person can be punished," said Hulett**************************continued

I love the fact that they are both taking away the judge's excuse for not giving this guy a prison sentence, and the fact that they are now going to give some treatment to even "low level offenders".
They may seem "low level" to the prison, but I am sure they didn't seem low level to the children they abused.

So Rocky, if someone beats the hell out of him or kills him once he is released from jail after 60 days would that person only have to serve 60 days then take anger management, gun control clases, etc. Seems only fair right. Please!!!!!

Pretty ridiculous on all sides there - OK, so there's no treatment until the prison gets threatened with less prisoners, and the judge is willing to release a predator on the city to prove his point - hey, guys, remember us? Civilized society? You're both supposed to be doing your jobs without this grandstanding, without being forced to do your jobs, and most especially without using a predator as a pawn.

Prisons do need to do more treatment - we should be trying to rehabilitate criminals, not just lock them up. Even pedophiles if there are any treatments shown to be effective (but there aren't so far, so for them, just lock them up). Right now a first time offender enters prison, and his life is toast - he had no skills going in, he has less than nothing coming out - no skills and a record - wow, what a surprise that he reoffends!

I got the name of the second "suspect", Derek Kimball. Vermont told me they do not have felony criminal cases available for viewing online. I was told that one of the news sources up there had ran a story on Kimball a few months back- 3 days of searching and I haven't come up with it as of yet.

If any of you have time to, or can find it- let me know.

Also- according to my source, Kimballs attorney. has requested Cashman and also requested the same sentencing. Since the D of Corrections has now changed policy in hopes that Cashman will reconsider the orig. sentence- I'm not sure how that will play out.

As for how he knew this child- he was also a friend of the parents, the child has been placed with her grandmother.

Lost in Liima Ohio has posted an opinion article from the Burlington Free Press.com. The article outlines some of the prior problems with the judge. Very much worth reading! Very much different from his statement about how he has treated sex offenders in the past!
http://lostinlimaohio.blogspot.com/

Great Job!

mysteriew said:
Lost in Liima Ohio has posted an opinion article from the Burlington Free Press.com. The article outlines some of the prior problems with the judge. Very much worth reading! Very much different from his statement about how he has treated sex offenders in the past!
http://lostinlimaohio.blogspot.com/

Great Job!
Thank you for the url to this well expressed opinion. The only thing I would add is "This judge should be removed from the bench & relieved of his duties immediately!"

This has been on my mind alot as I think about this poor little girl who will never live a normal life due to this creep. I so agree that 60 days isn't even close to the punishment this guy deserves and it's a total shame that the judge made such a light sentence.

My question (forgive me if it was mentioned somewhere), where was the mother during these 4 yrs? I can't imagine having my own dd abused like this and never even suspecting something was going on. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't imagine not seeing some red flags.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.a

Country Talks About Cashman Verdict
http://javascript<b></b>: var headl...dth=635,height=400,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no')

Montpelier, Vermont - January 12, 2006

The public outrage of sentencing a convicted child-rapist to 60 days has gone from the streets, to the statehouse, to a national stage.

"There is universal concern about the leniency of this sentence," said Governor Jim Douglas.

At the Governors press conference, in addition to local media, a crew working for Fox news listened in.

Thanks to national coverage from cable talk shows, the Governor has received thousands of ********************snip**************

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4356836&nav=menu183_2

This was on my local station tonight;
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4361611

In fact, consider his comments on Channel 3 in 1987 when two vicious murders triggered calls for re-establishing the death penalty in Vermont.

Judge Cashman/January 8, 1987:"Murderers tend not to repeat the offenses, the vast majority of 'em. While the rapist more and more the data's come out that by the time you've caught the rapist he's had four or five rapes already committed. And there's an extremely high rate of repeat offense with them. And if you're really talking about deterrence well yeah I could see an argument about why you'd want to impose the death penalty on a rapist,not that I'd recommend it, but I can at least understand that kind of argument."

This is a judge who really looks at statistics, and scrutinizes them as a scientist in the lab would. Under a microscope.

It seems to me that his focus here in the recent case is on rehabilitating the pedophile, and the odds of rehabilitating him successfully.

Society wants that pedophile in a cage for a long time, so we can all have a break from this behavior. That's a huge part of prison, can we as a population just please be guarenteed a break from this guy.

I think Cashman doesn't get it. His focus is on who can you treat, who can you rehabilitate, who is likely to offend again, vs. can we all just sleep better at night knowing that guy isn't crawling the streets.

dark_shadows said:
This was on my local station tonight;
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4361611

In fact, consider his comments on Channel 3 in 1987 when two vicious murders triggered calls for re-establishing the death penalty in Vermont.

Judge Cashman/January 8, 1987:"Murderers tend not to repeat the offenses, the vast majority of 'em. While the rapist more and more the data's come out that by the time you've caught the rapist he's had four or five rapes already committed. And there's an extremely high rate of repeat offense with them. And if you're really talking about deterrence well yeah I could see an argument about why you'd want to impose the death penalty on a rapist,not that I'd recommend it, but I can at least understand that kind of argument."

Do we think the judge may have perverted tendencies? Please check into his background. Something is seriously wrong with this judge.

Concernedperson,this is what happened years ago;
Son suspected; parents jailed

Judge holds them in contempt when they refuse to testify at rape inquest
Tab.GIF
WILLISTON, Vt. -- Arthur and Geneva Yandow have gone to jail in hopes of keeping their son out of one.

Tab.GIF
The couple refuse to testify at a prosecutor's inquest in a rape case in which the suspect is their 25-year-old son.

Tab.GIF
District Judge Edward Cashman jailed the Yandows on March 28 for contempt of court after the couple refused his order to testify. There is no limit on how long they can be held. The judge set a hearing for April 27.

Tab.GIF
The Yandows claim "parent-child privilege" gives them the legal and moral authority to refuse. So far, the courts and the couple's church disagree.

Tab.GIF
"My clients are absolutely adamant that they will not testify," lawyer Paul Volk said Wednesday. "They believe morally and based on their religious values they will not destroy their family and betray their son."

Tab.GIF
Craig Yandow, who lives with his parents and works in his father's construction business, has not been charged in the Feb. 14 attack, in which a woman was raped, beaten and left in the cold, unconscious and half-naked.

Tab.GIF
A jacket identical to one the younger Yandow owns -- blue, with "Saint John's Bay" on the back -- was found at the scene. Also, Mr. Yandow had injuries "consistent with those a rapist would sustain from a struggling victim," prosecutors said in court papers.

Tab.GIF
Once it becomes clear that jail won't change their minds, the judge will have to release them, Mr. Volk said.

Tab.GIF
Prosecutors have not said what they hope to learn from the couple.

Tab.GIF
Craig Yandow's attorney, Andrew Mikell, refused to answer questions about the case or say where his client is now. "He is concerned about his parents' situation," Mr. Mikell said. "Until he is charged, it's tough for me to do or say anything."

Tab.GIF
The state Supreme Court ruled 5-0 last month that, because Craig Yandow is a competent adult, his parents cannot claim parent-child privilege.

Tab.GIF
Similarly, the Rev. Walter Miller, a canon lawyer for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington, which includes all of Vermont, said no church doctrine would allow the Yandows to refuse to help prosecutors.

Tab.GIF
If the couple were to ask their parish priest for advice, only one answer would be possible, he said: "You'd be telling them to cooperate. This son of theirs is not a child."

Tab.GIF
But Mr. Volk said the Supreme Court ignored a number of legal precedents to the contrary. And he pointed out a section of the Catholic Church's catechism that lays out family responsibilities: "The citizen is obliged in conscience not to follow the directives of civil authorities when they are contrary to the demands of the moral order."

Tab.GIF
Mr. Volk said legal precedents in his favor include a 1979 case in which a court in New York state suppressed grand jury testimony of the father of a 23-year-old vehicular homicide suspect, citing parent-child privilege.

Tab.GIF
But Vermont prosecutors said in court papers that it appeared New York's highest court overruled that decision in a separate 1994 case. They said courts nationwide "have overwhelmingly rejected the parent-child privilege."

Tab.GIF
"Nearly all have concluded that the legal system's demand for truth, especially in a criminal proceeding, should not yield to a family's momentary desire for loyalty or harmony," prosecutors told Vermont's high court.

Tab.GIF
Aside from the legal arguments, Mr. Volk said, compelling parents to testify against their children is "abhorrent."

Tab.GIF
"You're talking about truly using the power of the state to destroy a family," the lawyer said.

Tab.GIF
Michael Mello, a constitutional law professor at the Vermont Law School, said parent-child privilege is an unusual argument.

Tab.GIF
"It presents both dimensions of a fairly new, very interesting and extremely foundational question: the legitimacy of whether there is in fact parent-child privilege," Mr. Mello said. "Even if there is not, can a parent's refusal to become a police informant against her son (result in her being) incarcerated indefinitely? It's a family-values issue."

This article is old has been brought up on the news stating how hard Cashman used to be and the 60 day sentence he just handed down.There are alot of angry people that Cashman gave harsh sentences to.Everyone in general is very angry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back