VT - Tina Fontaine, 29, Albany, 7 January 2006

Tina's boyfriend arrested.
Franky Niles had priors from 6 years ago in Massachusetts.He was convicted of molesting a relative.He also had 2 counts of assault and battery along with 2 burglaries.When he was released from Ma. he moved to Vermont.He will be arrainged tuesday.

He is in the Newport faciltiy.

This is awful 3 cases they have bungled who knows if they were competent if she could have been found alive. I guess it is better though to have found her. Heartfelt sympathy to her family.

Her body was found in a shallow grave not far from the couple's residence, according to Sunday's press release. Bachand declined to say when she was found or how she was murdered.

He told television station WCAX in an interview Sunday night, however, that Niles was arrested Saturday night, and Fontaine's body was found Sunday.

On Wednesday, he said investigators and police from Troop B had mounted an intensive investigation into Fontaine's disappearance and were tracking down information about purported sightings in the Burlington and Newport areas.

Niles will be arraigned Tuesday in Orleans District Court in Newport.

He is being held at the Northern State Correctional Facility in Newport. http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/top_news/story/bb2d9f097

I'd like to know why too. We can probably guess though....he didn't want to be a daddy and be stuck with child support. Where was her daughter when all of this happened? No wonder we all think "husband...boyfriend, or ex" whenever a pregnant woman goes missing and is murdered...cause it usually is the male involved. I guess these idiots don't learn anything from the rest of these mother/baby killers. They all end up in prison.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young lady. She didn't deserve this and I hope this guy spends the rest of his life in prison.

Part of what was said today:

"Today pretty much everyone that's come in has purchased probably one of each paper." Store clerk Kelly Bushey says she expects all the newspapers will sell out to local residents hungry to learn more about the murder of Tina Fontaine.Obviously people want to get a lot of information because not a lot has been released right now.)) For now police have released only that Tina Fontaine's body was found in a shallow grave over the weekend-- a little more than a mile from her mobile home. Her live-in boyfriend of six months Franky Niles has been arrested and is awaiting arraignment for the murder. Police have not indicated whether he led them to the body, confessed, or provided a motive. Channel 3 has learned he moved to town last summer from Massachusetts with a criminal record, including a sex crime conviction. Local residents say Fontaine was a good woman and a good mother. And they suspected Niles since Fontaine disappeared ten days ago.Kelly Bushey: I would say the majority of people I talked with here and at the school all had already made up their minds that he was guilty.Bushey: I mean there definitely were some relationship problems there-- that I think a lot of people in town would definitely aware of. Patrick Lafaso:I know that one of the family members told me that they had some problems a few times.------------------------------

Well due to the fact that Niles had sexual convictions in Ma.I hope that he was not molesting Tina's daughter.It leads me to believe that he was doing that and maybe Tina found out and confronted him.This is only my opinion.

Apparently Niles said that he choked Tina by accident while having rough sex.That is what he told police.

dark_shadows said:
Apparently Niles said that he choked Tina by accident while having rough sex.That is what he told police.
wonder if he will change his story when he hears this BS did not fly with the Grand Jury in Mathews County,Va. Ben Fawley confessed to the same and has just been indicted with first degree murder.:behindbar

One person that was in my unit years ago was a man who said the same thing.He said that he strangled his lover during a sex act.He was sentenced 12-15 years for manslaughter.

For Niles to be charged with first degree murder,it would have to be planned(fore-thought,place to hide the body.ect.)
second degree would be something quick without fore-thought.
voluntary manslaughter would be heat of the moment and not planned.
Involuntary manslaughter would be no fore-thought and no attempt to hide the body.
Niles cannot use the involuntary manslaughter charge because he buried Tina.
Hopefully he is charged with first degree murder,there was a history of problems,it just has to be proved that he dug Tina's grave prior to taking her life.(also that the intent to murder was planned.)
Niles overheard Tina talking to a friend on the phone that she wanted to break up with him.Niles was obsessed with Tina and would text message her all day long while she was at work.Tina lost two jobs prior because of the messages and having to return his messages while at work.Tina's mother said that she was afraid of him and several family members did not want Tina around him.He is still saying that it was an accident.

Thank-you Petra for your post.

This is part of what was on the news...............

Police say it took time to track down Niles's false stories. But police say Niles finaly confessed over the weekend -- and took them to the site where he buried her body about a mile away from her home. Police say Niles killed her after he overheard her on the phone telling a friend she was about to dump him -- ending their six-month relationship.The ruling from the medical examiner was death by strangulation.")) Niles told police he accidentally strangled Fontaine during rough sex -- left the body in the bed.......and spent the rest of the night in bed with her daughter who did not know her mom had been killed.Police say the killing was no accident. In court Niles denied a charge of second-degree murder. he was ordered without bail. Niles was then brought out a side door and whisked away under heavy security -- in part to avoid any problems with Tina Fontaines family

He spent the night in bed with the 6 year old???? Not in a chair, not on the couch- in the bed of the 6 yr old daughter of the woman he killed??? The woman who may have been carrying his child?
I hope that they are getting that child checked out!

Please tell me that he didn't hurt that baby!

Hi Mysteriew,

I went to copy the rest of the transcript for you.Somehow it messed up and I had to delete the last post and now try this one.Heres is this much;

Niles, formerly of Framingham, Mass., had an extensive criminal record in that state, including a conviction for rape of a child.

On the evening of Jan. 6, Clouatre said Niles told police, "he and Tina were having sex and that during the act she wanted to be choked. He advised that she kept telling him to choke her harder and then realized that she was not responsive and that he had killed her."

Earlier that evening, the affidavit says, Fontaine had called two friends and told them she planned to break off their relationship, because Niles was "smothering" her.

The affidavit also says Fontaine's 6-year-old daughter heard her mother screaming the night she died but when she tried to enter her mother's bedroom, Niles would not let her do so. Niles reported Fontaine missing the next day.

dark_shadows said:
Niles, formerly of Framingham, Mass., had an extensive criminal record in that state, including a conviction for rape of a child.

The affidavit also says Fontaine's 6-year-old daughter heard her mother screaming the night she died but when she tried to enter her mother's bedroom, Niles would not let her do so. Niles reported Fontaine missing the next day.

So then he spends the night in the little girl's bed! OMG, I hope they have taken her to the Doctor!
I wonder if he is on the sex offender registry?
And could you post a link to the article?

I just did a National SO search for F. Niles and came up with nothing. Thought maybe Niles might have a different first name, so ran a Vermont search and still not showing.

Mysteriew,

Click on the sight,go down past the story and photo of Niles,go down to Vermont Headlines,it will be the story under it.(Dead woman's boyfriend says he strangled her during sex)

Click on the newscript icon,go to tuesday at 11pm and read the script.

News 3 Scripts

News Scripts from the past week

We already have our paper out and online.Here is todays paper,Tina's daughter wanted to call 911 and he told her no!...........................

Six-year-old Alexis Fontaine awoke late Jan. 5 to the sounds of her mother, Tina, choking and pleading for someone to call 911. The girl crawled out of bed, but her mother's boyfriend, Franky Niles, reassured her that everything was fine and sent her back to sleep.

"She got out of bed and heard her mother say, 'Call 91' or 'Call 911,' and Frank told her that her mother was okay and to go back to sleep," Vermont State Police Detective Sgt. Timothy Clouatre wrote in a sworn statement. "Frank would not let her in the bedroom and told her that Tina was sleeping and should not be woken up."

Police say Niles, 32, grew enraged after overhearing Fontaine, 29, discuss her plans to leave him. He choked her to death in the bed the couple shared and, after dropping Alexis off at school the next day, wrapped Fontaine in a bed sheet and buried her in nearby woods, prosecutors allege.

His criminal record in Massachusetts dates to 1988 and encompasses 35 charges, according to documents on file with the Newport court. He has been convicted of four counts of assault and battery and three of rape of a child.

Court records show that Vermont authorities charged Niles in May with failure to comply with the state sex-offender registry,but the charge later was dismissed. Friends of Fontaine said Niles never told her about his crimes.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/NEWS01/601180313&theme=

dark shadows--thanks for posting these articles.

i am just outraged by this monster and his ability to be out walking the streets with his history.

fell so sad for Tina, her daughter and her family.

Noticed Framingham Ma has come up alot lately in the news...the woman and child who were kidnapped in Walmart parking lot and held and raped in hotel for several days, the missing man Jerry Tang, father of 2 now living in the bay area.

all unrelated....just thought it was odd

Hi Petra,

Thank-you for your post.Yes there are alot of things going on with Ma.
We have so many here that are from Ma. and New York City that are incarcerated.The ones that are here are mostly for drug crimes,robberys,burglery,gang activity,ect.They also come here,get people hooked on drugs,get others to sell drugs for them.There have been drug related killings prostitution,more crimes against a person,missing people,more people going to the methadone clinics.They also prey on single women,most of them are single parents.There are so many women here incarcerated(a majority of them single parents)that end up incarcerated because they had the misfortune of meeting these people,falling love with them and then ending up with felonys and losing their kids.They also end up hooked on drugs.Many come in withdrawing.I can go on and on.......

I wanted to add that I have been following this story and am completely horrified by it. I am so tired of hearing about pregnant women being killed. Before I found Websleuths, I had no idea how rampant this problem is in our society. It's just tragic.

I have read that the number one cause of death of pregnant women is domestic violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back