WA - Author Ann Rule Was Abused, Ripped Off By Her Sons, Cops Say

I hope this has put an end to it and Ann can have some peace without harassment. She earned it.

This is so wrong that such a talented writer who used her incredible gifts and skills to tell the stories of so many victims so they would not be forgotten is herself the victim of crime at the hands of those closest to her. I hate that Ann Rule is the subject of one of our threads in the "Crimes in the News" section. So tragic for her family to be going through this. As sad as it is for us to read here, her heart must be breaking. How do you protect yourself from the people you should be able to trust the most?!?

Thanks for this thread.... abuse of anyone is not acceptable, but one's own mother is deplorable.

From personal experience, the person being taken advantage of does not need to press charges / refuse to press charges at all. Once this type of crime is discovered, the state takes over and presses the charges. The party stolen from does not need to participate any longer, and the investigators can proceed without their assistance.

I too have all of her books and have gone to a couple of her book signings and a lecture she gave on Crime.A friend brought this news to my attention.I wondered why she hasn't written a book since 2013....I knew she had fallen a couple of years ago and I believe she had another hospital stay and then sold her beautiful home on Lake Washington in Seattle....I found an article in a Seattle Newspaper...On top of having her own flesh and blood stealing from her and abusing her it seems Ann was also diagnosed with dementia last month,the court records say......to think she will never write again makes me so sad...
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ules-2-sons-charged-with-bilking-her-of-100k/

I too have all of her books and have gone to a couple of her book signings and a lecture she gave on Crime.A friend brought this news to my attention.I wondered why she hasn't written a book since 2013....I knew she had fallen a couple of years ago and I believe she had another hospital stay and then sold her beautiful home on Lake Washington in Seattle....I found an article in a Seattle Newspaper...On top of having her own flesh and blood stealing from her and abusing her it seems Ann was also diagnosed with dementia last month,the court records say......to think she will never write again makes me so sad...
[url
]http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/crime-writer-ann-rules-2-sons-charged-with-bilking-her-of-100k/[/url]

Me too....I had no idea she was dealing with so many difficulties and struggles. This really makes me so sad for her. What an incredibly talented woman who has given so many of us such reading pleasure thru the years. As I mentioned before, I could hardly wait for her new book to go on sale so that I could plant myself on the couch and read thru it at lightning speed.

Am I the only one who wondered if they learned their cold- hearted ways from being around her manuscripts and hearing her give interviews and so forth when they were growing up? Accidentally, of course. Not that she would have encouraged this at all.
And, I've also wondered how fragile she is, and I hope so much that they do not do her bodily harm over her money. Again, it would be pages straight out of one of her books.

I sincerely hope she will be safe and trouble-free from here on out. She has been a prolific writer and champion for victims for as long as I can remember, maybe longer. I think it was " The Stranger Beside Me" that first caught my attention because I was a teen when Ted Bundy was killing women just a few years older than me in the Pacific NW, and Ann volunteered with him at the help line. It's hard to believe she's now aged and having these sorts of problems. I've always seen her as such a strong personality.

Ann, if you ever read here, you helped many of us learn about true crime, and you are loved and respected you for your body of work. You were a pioneer in the field of modern day true crime objective writing.

Bestselling true crime author Ann Rule was bilked out of more than $100,000 by two of her sons, one of whom demanded money while she "cowered in her wheelchair," authorities said.

Michael Rule, 51, has been charged with theft in the first degree and forgery, for allegedly writing himself $103,628 in checks from his mother's bank account, according to charging documents. Andrew Rule, 54, was accused of coercing his mother into giving him $23,327 and was charged with first-degree theft. Both are free on their own recognizance awaiting trial.

I love her. Best wishes for full recovery and justice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...ft_n_7111854.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Oh my God! I love her, what a couple of 's! Grrrrrrr.

She is my very favorite true crime writer. I've always enjoyed how she makes the victims relatable and real people and is not a slash and gore type of true crime author. This makes me so sad to hear this.

I found this article where Ann talks about her life...it answers the question about how many children she has...It was written in 2001...."The actual switch from a career of fighting crime on the streets to writing about crime came due to a physical limitation. I'm very nearsighted, and couldn't pass the police exam, which at that time required 20/20 vision without correction. I worked in the Department of Welfare, and then got married, and had four kids (my 5th child is a foster child). When it became apparent my marriage was coming to an end, I thought I would go back to writing."

http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/mar01/mothers-who-write-ann-rule-3013

Ann Rule wrote many true crimes books. She exposed the world to the likes of Ted Bundy and Diane Downs. Now, she is a crime victim committed by her own sons. That is really disturbing.

Sad fact is when there are elderly people and their children, money causes a lot of problems for them. It tears up families and I hear that too often.

This case does not surprise me. I have personally witnessed 3 cases exactly like it. There are evil people everywhere and honestly the ones closest to you are the most likely to be able to browbeat you into doing what they want....sadly.

I am a fan of Ms. Rule and I have read all of her books. She is one of the best writers! She puts everything into her work...very passionate lady. Sad to hear this horrible news and hoping all works out for her.

This just breaks my heart. I am currently reading one of her books right now.
Sadly, this kind of thing is happening in my family and there is nothing that can be done about it. Senior services were called and checked and the person we suspect is being taken advantage of won't admit any problems. We just have to sit back and watch this 90+ year old woman being robbed blind by the person she loves most and should be taking care of her instead of forcing her to take care of him.

This is a surprise to me! I thought Ann only had a daughter! I hope they work this all out as a family should. I've read all of her books. :)

I think, with all the vulnerable elderly/disabled people there are who are living longer and more isolated lives, the time to "work this all out as a family should" is gone.

Family and non-related caregivers need to start prosecuting - it seems to be the only way to stop people from taking advantage.

I think, with all the vulnerable elderly/disabled people there are who are living longer and more isolated lives, the time to "work this all out as a family should" is gone.

Family and non-related caregivers need to start prosecuting - it seems to be the only way to stop people from taking advantage.
sad but true :(

:rose: ann

Hi all!

Shouldn't there be a "trial" or "hearing" today?? Anyone following this??

TIA! :wave:

edited to add: just checked google and see no updates for today; last current article is from April 22nd... :(

Anyone from Washington??

yes, there was supposed to be a hearing today and am also waiting for an update!

I found this article where Ann talks about her life...it answers the question about how many children she has...It was written in 2001...."The actual switch from a career of fighting crime on the streets to writing about crime came due to a physical limitation. I'm very nearsighted, and couldn't pass the police exam, which at that time required 20/20 vision without correction. I worked in the Department of Welfare, and then got married, and had four kids (my 5th child is a foster child). When it became apparent my marriage was coming to an end, I thought I would go back to writing."

http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/mar01/mothers-who-write-ann-rule-3013

quotes from the article

about her children
"It took years before they connected my typing to their eating-they didn't realize it was my job!"

"One time my son Michael had to do a book report for sociology class, so he asked me to tell him about one of my books. <snipped> told me I "wasn't a bad writer." My boys also used my writing to pick up girls -- they would offer to get my autograph on a book."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back