WA WA - Autumn Lee Stone, 23, suspicious death, Seattle, 30 Aug 2019

Seattle1

Reaction score
Undetermined: A suspicious death at Green Lake, an investigation's limits

Published November 22, 2020

It was just after 4 p.m. on Aug. 30, 2019. A police officer arrived within minutes. He waded into the water through the milfoil, stumbling over the rocky lake bed until he reached the body. It was a young woman, her vest zipped all the way up.

The officer and a firefighter struggled with the zipper, forcing it open and revealing shoelaces bound around her neck. Autumn Lee Stone, 23 years old, mother of a toddler and a newborn, had been strangled to death.

How she came to be floating 20 yards from shore — in one of the city’s most popular parks, on a crowded day, in the middle of a Friday afternoon — led Seattle police detectives to consider foul play. But not for long.

Almost immediately, they formed a theory. Autumn was fully clothed except for her shoes, which investigators found without laces some distance apart in the bushes near where she was pulled ashore. Police saw no sign of a struggle and concluded she had no “defensive injuries.”

An hour after the 911 call, a police spokesman told a Seattle Times reporter that the death in Green Lake was probably a suicide. No witnesses came forward to report anything unusual. The lead detective later obtained what he considered a suicide note. Two weeks after Autumn’s death, he closed the case.

This level of certainty on how Autumn died is not widely shared outside the police department. Not by friends and family members who were in touch with her hours before her death. Not by a firefighter who tried to revive her. Not by independent forensic experts who reviewed case records on behalf of The Times.

And not by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office, the authority on how a person died, which found she’d been strangled to death but could not determine by whom. Of roughly 2,300 deaths that Seattle police responded to since 2017, the medical examiner hasn’t been able to determine the manner of death in less than 3% of cases. Autumn Stone’s death is among this small number, where the official ruling on how she died is “undetermined.”

ETA: See link for an extensive report...

Last edited:
I would think with all the homes and businesses around greenlake that there would be camara footage of something..
I didn't read the whole police report, so apologies in advance if there is mention of such.

Autumn Stone should have taken a car to get to Greenlake from Everett, it is 20-30 minutes drive. One wonders where the car was left.

Autumn Stone should have taken a car to get to Greenlake from Everett, it is 20-30 minutes drive. One wonders where the car was left.
Undetermined: A suspicious death at Seattle's Green Lake and an investigation's limit

11/22/2020

[..]

Autumn told her mother she was going to Green Lake Park, where they had occasionally gone as a family, for a walk and a pedicure. She also made plans to visit her toddler son, who was with his father, Jakob Johnson, later in the day. Johnson had taken custody of their son the prior week and had just filed a petition to limit Autumn to supervised visits, a step he felt forced to take by child welfare workers and not over any concerns about her as a parent.

He believes the last text he received from Autumn confirming the visit was around 1:30 or 2 p.m.

At 11:31 a.m., Autumn called her mother to say she’d arrived at Green Lake. “It was more of a, ‘I just want to touch base with you, let you know that I’m OK,’ you know, with everything that was going on,” said Rusch. “It wasn’t a ‘goodbye.’ It was an ‘I’ll see you later.’”

At 11:51 a.m., Autumn texted her stepmom, thanking her for sending a photo of the baby and telling her about plans to meet with police. “I should be able to talk with the police on Tuesday for polygraph,” she wrote.

Her 2013 Hyundai was parked at the Green Lake Community Center. From there, a popular path traces the lake’s curves, bending north and west over a mile to a pebble beach.

If I was the family of Autumn, I would be quite upset.
I don’t think she would strangle herself. Shoelaces? In public? She had plans. The note was not a suicide note, she was pretty upset at all that was going on likely...

The mother was the alibi for the son... the phone data was nil. The charges then went away for the abuse as well.

She knew him... don’t know the sizes of either person but if he was larger she may have been overpowered? Meh.

Hi Why were the abuse charges against Washington dropped? Seems like a repeat offense.
Was her purse missing? It's a bit strange the killer would not take her phone. The sim card doesn't get damaged for being submerged for an hour. Also, they can get her phone records to see who she was talking to.

Hi Why were the abuse charges against Washington dropped? Seems like a repeat offense.
Was her purse missing? It's a bit strange the killer would not take her phone. The sim card doesn't get damaged for being submerged for an hour. Also, they can get her phone records to see who she was talking to.
Welcome to WS @acehard.

Can you be more specific, and link the reference for your inquiry i.e., repeat abuse charges?

Thank you... :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho