GUILTY WA - Bethany Storro charged in acid attack hoax, Vancouver, 2010

I don't know exactly what kind of charges will be charged in this but I hope they put that animal away for a very long time.
Animal is the only word i can think of to describe the attacker.
I wish this had been caught on tape.

Vote for Giancarlo every day!
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113382"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Sounds like jealousy to me -- jealousy over looks, perhaps with racial undertones. The girl apparently said to her, "Hey, pretty girl, want some of this?", before throwing the acid in her face. I mention race only because one was white, the other african-american, it could have absolutely nothing to do with the attack.

Here's a link to the segment (timestamp 3:53) on the Today Show that mentions the attackers comments before she threw the acid:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/38988686#38988686

Thank you, I read the articles prior to posting, it just reminded me of the model who had this happen, turning out that her ex boyfriend arranged it. He hired a stranger and as far as I know both men are in prison. I can't remember her name unfortunately.

Miss Izzy, thank you for the links. Sounds scary in that area right now!

A little more information from an interview with Bethany:

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/...m-imagine-your-skin-christian-post233915.html

It sounds as if she'd been wanting the sunglasses and had just purchased them with a paycheck which had come in the mail. This is on a Christian forum and a poster makes a comment about how this form of torture is seen in some Muslim countries. There's also information about her new job and about a fund that her co-workers have set up for her.

Is this about race, religion (Bethany is a Christian, I've read), beauty, mistaken identity, mental illness or plain evil?

Whatever it is, there seems to be an uptick in these attacks. Extremely frightening.

A little more information from an interview with Bethany:

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/...m-imagine-your-skin-christian-post233915.html

It sounds as if she'd been wanting the sunglasses and had just purchased them with a paycheck which had come in the mail. This is on a Christian forum and a poster makes a comment about how this form of torture is seen in some Muslim countries. There's also information about her new job and about a fund that her co-workers have set up for her.

Is this about race, religion (Bethany is a Christian, I've read), beauty, mistaken identity, mental illness or plain evil?

The attack on Storros is being described as "random", which means it would be unlikely about religion.

Police are still looking for the suspect, who no one saw.

Whatever it is, there seems to be an uptick in these attacks. Extremely frightening.

I don't think it's scary. There's been three, EACH highly publicized. The first and third are being described as "targeted". There are suspects (ie, ex-husbands, boyfriends, relationships). Whenever there's a highly-publicized odd event, others follow.

HLN said last night that Storro was going through a divorce.

IF Storros was randomly attacked by another person, I hope that person is found quickly and charged to the max. If she was targeted by another person (there's rumors she's undergoing a divorce), then all THREE recent attacks are not random -- and there's no danger to the public.

If it's something else, I hope it's resolved quickly because the racists and haters of certain religions are out in force online. Whatever happened, isn't the responsibility of a religion, a race, or a group.

laytonian--I agree with much of your post and truly hope there's no connection nor any "group" behind the attacks.

I just posted on the Mesa attack thread about the commonality of the three women being near their vehicles.

I do, however, believe that the attacks are horribly frightening as they have the potential to seriously harm and permanently maim people. In my research on acid attacks or acid throwing, I learned that the emotional/psychological fallout is tremendous. JMO

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...m_hospital_fundraiser_planned_at_her_gym.html

Bethany Storro released from hospital, fundraiser planned at her gym

"A 28-year-old Vancouver woman whose face was burned with acid last week was released from North Portland’s Legacy Emanuel Hospital today, hospital officials said.

Bethany Storro was attacked Monday evening by an unidentified woman who threw acid in her face as Storro retrieved something from her car near Esther Short Park in Vancouver. She underwent surgery Wednesday to have dead skin removed from the areas where she was most deeply injured.

Officials with Vancouver’s Anytime Fitness announced a fundraiser will be held Friday at the gym where Storro is a member...."

more at link

I hope I'm wrong here, but my hinky-meter is clanging loudly.

I think something big is going to break in this case.

Bethany Storro has cancelled her highly-publicized appearance on Oprah, after learning that the show would "take a different direction". I wanted to link to her Facebook page, but it was suddenly shut down today.

The best I can offer is a blogger's screen shot of Bethany Storro's Facebook Page, which preserved her comments.

I felt really guilty after posting what I did here. Who am I to question an acid attack victim? But, I always figured if I were to figure something out, I also had to question the bits and pieces. I see I'm not the only one questioning what happened.

Anyway, after investigating the area where Storro says she was attacked, a writer for the Vancouver Voice (alternative weekly) has lots of questions:

Caustic Questions About Acid Attack--Vancouver Voice Part 1

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Burns--Vancouver Voice Part 2

Some things I didn't think of:
It was 7:15pm. Why the sudden urge to buy and wear something you never wear (the sunglasses) ... in the evening?

Why are there no burns on her lips, which should have been the acid-thrower's target, since she wanted her to "drink this"? My lips blister on a sunny day; I think they'd fall off if acid hit them.

Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong -- and I hope my fellow doubters are wrong.

Oh gosh! So so people think that she did this to herself??!!

I hope that is not true, at this point there is nothing to make me think it is true.

I've been watching it all day and had the same concerns. I don't know what to think. The sunglasses have always bothered me.

But why?

Oh, my Lord....so maybe she got the idea for this from the first acid attack? This is so hard to imagine....I was amazed that her lips weren't damaged, though. I am baffled....it's too hard to comprehend anyone doing this to themself. I'm rambling. I'd like to say I'm speechless but that's obviously not true. (lol)

I've been watching it all day and had the same concerns. I don't know what to think. The sunglasses have always bothered me.

But why?

Maybe she gave us a clue on her Facebook page (taken from the screen capture that can't be edited).

"From the very beginning, I wanted to inspire people (hope I have) and tell them about Jesus."

From the very BEGINNING?

The ONLY thing I can think of, IF it didn't happen as she said, is that she envisions herself as having a calling to "inspire people". Some overly-important view of herself where, by publicizing all the awful things that have happened in her life (meningitis not once but twice, deafness, divorce, acid attack on her "prettiness" by a black person, etc), she can become a religious notable or motivational speaker.

Buying the sunglasses minutes before an acid attack (because God said so), never made sense. But I never thought anything more about it, until someone wrote "she wears her sunglasses at night".

I really hope she's telling the truth.

Oh, my Lord....so maybe she got the idea for this from the first acid attack? This is so hard to imagine....I was amazed that her lips weren't damaged, though. I am baffled....it's too hard to comprehend anyone doing this to themself. I'm rambling. I'd like to say I'm speechless but that's obviously not true. (lol)

What are you talking about "first acid attack"?

Maybe she gave us a clue on her Facebook page (taken from the screen capture that can't be edited).

"From the very beginning, I wanted to inspire people (hope I have) and tell them about Jesus."

From the very BEGINNING?

The ONLY thing I can think of, IF it didn't happen as she said, is that she envisions herself as having a calling to "inspire people". Some overly-important view of herself where, by publicizing all the awful things that have happened in her life (meningitis not once but twice, deafness, divorce, acid attack on her "prettiness" by a black person, etc), she can become a religious notable or motivational speaker.

Tell me, what do you base your speculation on?

No evidence woman hurt self with acid

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/sep/09/police-no-evidence-woman-hurt-self/

Kapp said Thursday that Major Crimes Unit detectives were still focused on looking for a woman whom Storro described as an assailant who, in a random attack, walked up and threw acid in her face on Columbia Street just north of Esther Short Park about 7:15 p.m. on Aug. 30.

“Nobody’s seen that woman, though they’ve seen women who resemble her,” Kapp said Thursday. “We believe the suspect is likely local.”

Doesn't look like the police are buying into this speculation!

Tell me, what do you base your speculation on?

No evidence woman hurt self with acid

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/sep/09/police-no-evidence-woman-hurt-self/

Kapp said Thursday that Major Crimes Unit detectives were still focused on looking for a woman whom Storro described as an assailant who, in a random attack, walked up and threw acid in her face on Columbia Street just north of Esther Short Park about 7:15 p.m. on Aug. 30.

“Nobody’s seen that woman, though they’ve seen women who resemble her,” Kapp said Thursday. “We believe the suspect is likely local.”

Doesn't look like the police are buying into this speculation!

In that same article, it says "Asked Thursday night whether police detectives have considered the possibility that Storro might have inflicted the injuries to herself, Detective Sgt. Scott Creager told The Columbian that he couldn’t discuss it. The reasons will become clear later, he said."

Do you think they're going to say they do?

I base my personal speculation on the fact that her story doesn't make sense (to me) and has more holes than Swiss Cheese.

Who buys sunglasses for the first time ever, puts them on about 7:00pm, and just happens to get hit in the face with acid, 20 minutes later? A deaf person who can't hear her parents in the next room, has to read lips at her press conference (?) but can clearly repeat what a stranger said to her on a busy street?

I'm a skeptic. I don't believe God told her to buy sunglasses. If God worked that way, a "mother" who lived about a mile away from our home, wouldn't have strangled her two children to death, the night before last.

Like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

But one should never buy 100% into ANY story.

There have been three attacks. We have threads on each. The first occurred in Puyallup, WA on July 30th a little before 5 am and was well covered by the press in that area. FWIW, Bethany's brother lives not too far from Puyallup. The Puyallup attack occurred in a parking lot of an apt. complex when a black man approached a 23 year old woman (her race has not been reported as far as I know) and asked her for water for his car, as he was locked out of his home. She went to her apt. for the water and when she returned to the man, was attacked. She attempted to shoot him with a taser she was carrying but it failed to make contact. She was severely burned on her face and eyes.

Bethany's attack occurred on August 30th in the early evening, a short time after buying sunglasses. I believe that I posted upthread a comment about her feeling a divine calling from God to purchase the glasses for a week. When she received her first paycheck (presumably from the Washougal, WA Safeway), she purchased them in downtown Vancouver, WA. Less than an hour later, after walking in the area, she reached into her car, and was called to by the attacker, described as a "pretty black woman". It's never been made clear what Bethany was doing just prior to the attack.

The third attack occurred in Mesa, AZ on September 2nd, before 5 am. Once again, it occurred near a car. A woman pulled into her carport, exited her car, and was attacked. This attack was by a 20s-30s Hispanic woman. Police have said that the attack was not random, even though the victim did not recognize the attacker. The 911 call and an interview with that victim, Derri Velarde, has just been released and I will post that on the thread.

As far as I know, these are the only three attacks and the dates and details are as reported.

A witness who did not want to be named said Storro screamed in pain.

"It was all white, just really burnt," the witness said. "Her lips were swollen. Her shirt had holes in it from where the acid had gotten onto her shirt."

Nancy Neuwelt, Storro's mother, said her daughter was simply getting money out of the passenger side of her car to go into Starbucks when the woman approached

http://www.kptv.com/news/24826818/detail.html

911 call released

http://www.kptv.com/news/24949302/detail.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member