WA - Cowlitz County Deputy Sheriff Justin DeRosier, 29, shot in the line of duty April 13, 2019

La Louve

For Whitney and Teghan
Reaction score
Link: Cowlitz County sheriff's deputy Justin DeRosier dies after Kalama shooting

The Cowlitz County sheriff’s deputy shot in the line of duty Saturday night [April 13] has died, and a manhunt for the "suspect or suspects" is ongoing, according to Clark County investigators. Sheriff's officials Sunday afternoon identified the fallen deputy as Justin DeRosier, 29.

Authorities previously said they had found a person of interest in the shooting, but they announced Sunday afternoon that at least one suspect is still being pursued. They did not disclose any names.

DeRosier died at PeaceHealth Medical Center in Vancouver a short time after he arrived there by LifeFlight helicopter, the sheriff's office reported.

DeRosier leaves a wife, Kelly DeRosier, and a five-month old daughter, Lily, his first child. He is a 2008 Kelso High School graduate and has been a deputy for the Cowlitz Sheriff's Office since 2016. He also is a criminal justice graduate of Washington State University (2012).

The shooting occurred near the 100 block of Fallert Road, near Kalama River Road, shortly after 10 p.m. That area, located about three miles east of Interstate 5, remained closed at midafternoon except for local traffic only on Fallert Road. Investigators are asking the public to avoid the area unless absolutely necessary. There was no timeline for reopening the road.

DeRosier was dispatched to a disabled motor home blocking the roadway on Fallert Road. A short time after arriving he was shot. He had reported over police radio that someone was shooting at him. Kalama police officers responded to rescue and bring him to nearby Haydu Park for life-saving efforts and to await the flight to the hospital.

The Clark County Major Crimes Unit and several other agencies are investigating the case, Clark County Sheriff's Office Commander John Horch said. That includes evidence from a search warrant authorities served at a nearby residence after the shooting, he said.

Clark County authorities are asking anyone with information relating to this shooting to please call Sergeant Todd Barsness with the Clark County Major Crimes Unit at 360-577-3098 or todd.barsness@clark.wa.gov

5cb3a8f2a1cc3.image.jpg

###

This is relatively local to me. Clark County is just to the south of Cowlitz C0unty. Not surprised their major crimes unit is assisting.

Rest in Peace Deputy DeRosier
rose-smiley.gif

I’m a family member of an LE shot in the line of duty. He was critically injured but survived. These cases always hit me in the gut. My prayers to his family and loved ones.

BBM I am too. Hugs to you Flute4peace.

Suspect in fatal officer-involved shooting killed in separate shooting Sunday

Update:
Law enforcement officers Sunday night shot and killed a suspect who is believed to have killed Cowlitz County sheriff’s deputy Justin DeRosier nearly 24 hours earlier, Cowlitz County Sheriff Brad Thurman reported late Sunday night.

The suspect, whose identity was not made public, was seen tromping out of the woods wet and dirty with a firearm on Spencer Creek Road. Two lawmen shot him and he was declared dead at the scene, Thurman said. The shooting took place around 7 p.m. and neither officer involved was injured.

Thurman did not immediately know whether the suspect fired a shot at the officers. Authorities are withholding the identities of the officers for now.

Investigators had identified the suspect after interviewing two brothers, one of whom was seen coming out of the woods along Modrow Road. They have been identified as Michael Veatch and Matthew Veatch. At this time they are considered suspects in rendering criminal assistance, the sheriff said.

Sunday night’s shooting concluded a nearly 22-hour manhunt for those responsible for killing deputy DeRosier on Fallert Road just after 10 p.m. Saturday.

This is an example of a police dispatch that the public needs to hear about and understand.

I hear so many people complaining about certain police procedures. They say 'why do cops put their hands on their guns when they approach a car in a traffic stop? It was just a broken tail light>?'

But they don't understand that the guy with the broken taillight might have just robbed a gas station and killed the clerk. The officer has no idea who is driving the car.

Suspect in fatal officer-involved shooting killed in separate shooting Sunday

Update:
Law enforcement officers Sunday night shot and killed a suspect who is believed to have killed Cowlitz County sheriff’s deputy Justin DeRosier nearly 24 hours earlier, Cowlitz County Sheriff Brad Thurman reported late Sunday night.

The suspect, whose identity was not made public, was seen tromping out of the woods wet and dirty with a firearm on Spencer Creek Road. Two lawmen shot him and he was declared dead at the scene, Thurman said. The shooting took place around 7 p.m. and neither officer involved was injured.

Thurman did not immediately know whether the suspect fired a shot at the officers. Authorities are withholding the identities of the officers for now.

Investigators had identified the suspect after interviewing two brothers, one of whom was seen coming out of the woods along Modrow Road. They have been identified as Michael Veatch and Matthew Veatch. At this time they are considered suspects in rendering criminal assistance, the sheriff said.

Sunday night’s shooting concluded a nearly 22-hour manhunt for those responsible for killing deputy DeRosier on Fallert Road just after 10 p.m. Saturday.
Wow. Sounds like there’s gonna be more to this story.

Wow. Sounds like there’s gonna be more to this story.
You're right!

Timeline: Cowlitz County deputy killed Sunday, suspect shot dead by police 21 hours later

"The suspect was identified Monday afternoon as 33-year-old Brian Butts, of Kelso. Cowlitz County Sheriff Brad Thurman confirmed that Brian Butts is related to Daniel Butts, who killed Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter in January 2011."

On kgw's 11pm edition tonight they reported that the two murderers are half brothers.

Sheesh.

I’m a family member of an LE shot in the line of duty. He was critically injured but survived. These cases always hit me in the gut. My prayers to his family and loved ones.

I'm so sorry your family member was shot in the line of duty, but so happy to know he survived.

It seems we are losing officers at such a rapid pace. I read about an officer being shot almost every 4 or 5 days now.

The story of our honorable men, and women in blue, and the dangerous job they all have, isn't counted only by how many are murdered in the line of duty each year. That is only a part of what happens to them, and what they face.

The rest of their story, is just as important, and must never be forgotten or omitted when knowing, and respecting how dangerous their jobs truly are.

No other profession on American soil suffers 60K assaults/attacks a year (DOJ FBI yearly data) while carrying out their duties. The FBI says they expect that astronomical number to rise! Sigh.

Many of those thousands of attacks every year have resulted in serious lifelong altering injuries that has changed their life forever.

We must never forget all of those other heroes who are brave honorable men, and women in blue, who's lives were forever changed when they too put their lives on the line in order to protect everyone in their communities.

God bless all of our police officers for all they selflessly do each, and every day.

May all the fallen heroes rest in eternal peace.

Jmo

Last edited:
I'm so sorry your family member was shot in the line of duty, but so happy to know he survived.

It seems we are losing officers at such a rapid pace. I read about an officer being shot almost every 4 or 5 days now.

The story of our honorable men, and women in blue, and the dangerous job they all have, isn't counted only by how many are murdered in the line of duty each year. That is only a part of what happens to them, and what they face.

The rest of their story, is just as important, and must never be forgotten or omitted when knowing, and respecting how dangerous their jobs truly are.

No other profession on American soil suffers 60K assaults/attacks a year (DOJ FBI yearly data) while carrying out their duties. The FBI says they expect that astronomical number to rise! Sigh.

Many of those thousands of attacks every year have resulted in serious lifelong altering injuries that has changed their life forever.

We must never forget all of those other heroes who are brave honorable men, and women in blue, who's lives were forever changed when they too put their lives on the line in order to protect everyone in their communities.

God bless all of our police officers for all they selflessly do each, and every day.

May all the fallen heroes rest in eternal peace.

Jmo
What a beautiful post! And I agree with every word.

Sadly, 3 people lost their lives in the situation involving my family member - all because one person was out of control.

The lack of respect for fellow humans is an epidemic.

What a beautiful post! And I agree with every word.

Sadly, 3 people lost their lives in the situation involving my family member - all because one person was out of control.

The lack of respect for fellow humans is an epidemic.

Thank you.

Each, and every night, we pray that all of our police officers will remain safe, being able to always return home to those who dearly loves them.

Police officers aren't outsiders. Often they grew up/reside, go to church, have children attending the same schools, and do amazing volunteer work for the community in which they protect.

We have had several family members who have been police officers. Some putting in decades of dedicated service before retiring, and others who are still serving.

One of our grandsons is a Sgt with our sheriff's department,and he is also part of our SWAT team. Everyone that knows him knows his heart is good, and is in the right place.

He has always been one who believes he should serve his community, and did so even when he was a teen throughout high school. After then he got his degree in criminology when he first became a Deputy.

He recently married his longtime girlfriend this past November. She is in the medical field so they both are first responders. They both volunteer serving at homeless shelters or gathering funds or food etc. for members of their church who have had a tragedy strike their lives.

All of our family, and friends, couldn't be prouder than we are. They are in their mid 20s, but already so mature, and grounded about what, and who, really matters in life.

Jmo

Live coverage of Deputy DeRosier's memorial service, being held at the Chiles Center of the University of Portland.

KOIN Video Extras

Traffic from Longview WA to Portland OR - some 60 miles - was slowed for hours this morning as Deputy DeRosier's funeral procession made its way along Interstate 5.

Rest in Peace, Deputy DeRosier.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20