WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

I’m looking forward to watching it, although I’m afraid they will be no new credible info. I will give it the benefit of the doubt, though.
I’m a minor Cooper nerd, and I found the most recent episode of The Cooper Vortex podcast where Larry Carr, the recently retired FBI agent who was the last to have the Cooper case, to be quite interesting. He didn’t make it sound like they have had any useful info in a long time.

From all that I have read, it is absolutely impossible for the money found a Teena Bar to have gotten there from the satchel that D. B. had in the airplane without direct human intervention. While it is possible that someone in Southwest Washington St. came upon the dead body of D.B. in the wilderness and took the money while concealing the body and parachute, it seems so much more likely that D. B. Survived and got out with the money (Occam’s razor and common sense). Still, it is hard to see how burying two bundles of bills on a beach along the Columbia might fit in to with either scenario.

From what I can tell, the beach is on private land that some people, with permission on the owner, have access to in the summer. In the winter, there would probably be few people around and someone could probably bury something there discreetly but the presence of people in the summer might make it susceptible to being found. Could that have been the intention all along? I don’t have a real handle on the” lay of the land” there. A beach is an easy place to dig a hole, but it would be extremely difficult to find that exact spot months or years later if the intention was to retrieved it at a later time.

The name of the place is Teena Bar and the name of the flight attendant who stayed with him was Tina. Just a coincidence or a weird joke?

I think there is a real possibility that most of the money was hidden in an appropriate place in that general are but DB, for some reason, placed two bundles in that spot. Whatever the reason, he would have had no intention of ever retrieving that money.

At this time, almost 50 years later, it is unlikely that any evidence of other digging or a hidden cash in the general area, could be found.
Had I risked both my literal life and or life in prison for 200K there's absolutely noooooo way I'd purposely leave behind 8K by a river.

From all that I have read, both McCoy and Rackstraw are pretty good suspects. Their basic appearance seems reasonably consistent with the composite although they were both late twenties when the description given was someone in their forties. Supposedly McCoy was ruled out due to multiple eyewitness saying it wasn’t him after he was arrested in Utah. The stewardess saying it wasn’t Rackstraw, 40 year later, is less convincing.

As I recall, McCoy claimed to have been in Vegas at the time of the hijacking but was back in Utah the next day. It didn’t seem right that a Good Mormon with money problems would just do that. There was doubt about the validity of his “back in Utah” alibi because it was provided by his wife who was initially assumed to have been uninvolved in the Utah hijacking but was later suspected of having been an accomplice ( she was never charged).

Rackstraw was in Portland at the time (if the History Channel documentary can be believed). He certainly had the inclination for criminality and risk taking. The most compelling evidence against him is his reputed connection to the family that found the money on Tina Bar. Some investigator involved in the History Channel Documentary has made this claim but I am not aware that it has ever been verified by any credible source. I would expect to FBI to have been very interested.

There are claims by both the McCoy and the Rackstraw fractions that the CIA, the Military or some other shadowy Government Agency does not want their guy implicated.

So. I've just recently watched the Netflix documentary and I find this case utterly fascinating. Cooper was truly a genius haha. But I'm thinking... If he's still alive, if he's still out there watching all this go down and still laughing after all these years, do we really want him to be found/caught. He'd probably be convicted which I... Wouldn't wanna see haha. I think the fact he got away with it and most likely went off and lived his best life and I sorta love that haha . He hurt no one, orchestrated the perfect heist "stuck it to the man" and got off Scott free. How bad *advertiser censored* is that ?

But I'm thinking... If he's still alive, if he's still out there watching all this go down and still laughing after all these years, do we really want him to be found/caught. He'd probably be convicted which I... Wouldn't wanna see haha

Just a couple of months ago there was a podcast featuring one of the FBI agents formerly in charge of this case (DB Cooper Was a Case I Wanted to Solve - Larry Carr). I believe he says that if they identified Cooper now & he was still alive, he wouldn't be prosecuted.

Although assuming he survived the jump, it's unlikely he's still alive at this point. If the age estimates were accurate, he'd be about 95. If the estimates were wrong and he was 10 years younger, the chances of him being alive are quite a bit better.

Personally as an avid fan of the case I would like to see it solved & hear all about it, even though it would essentially remove the enduring mystery of it.

So. I've just recently watched the Netflix documentary and I find this case utterly fascinating. Cooper was truly a genius haha. But I'm thinking... If he's still alive, if he's still out there watching all this go down and still laughing after all these years, do we really want him to be found/caught. He'd probably be convicted which I... Wouldn't wanna see haha. I think the fact he got away with it and most likely went off and lived his best life and I sorta love that haha . He hurt no one, orchestrated the perfect heist "stuck it to the man" and got off Scott free. How bad *advertiser censored* is that ?
I disagree that he hurt no one. The crew on the flight were terrified and I am sure it left them scarred for life.

From all that I have read, both McCoy and Rackstraw are pretty good suspects. Their basic appearance seems reasonably consistent with the composite although they were both late twenties when the description given was someone in their forties. Supposedly McCoy was ruled out due to multiple eyewitness saying it wasn’t him after he was arrested in Utah. The stewardess saying it wasn’t Rackstraw, 40 year later, is less convincing.
. . .
Rackstraw was in Portland at the time (if the History Channel documentary can be believed). He certainly had the inclination for criminality and risk taking. The most compelling evidence against him is his reputed connection to the family that found the money on Tina Bar. Some investigator involved in the History Channel Documentary has made this claim but I am not aware that it has ever been verified by any credible source. I would expect to FBI to have been very interested.
Snipped.

I don't buy it. Rackstraw was way too young.

There are claims by both the McCoy and the Rackstraw fractions that the CIA, the Military or some other shadowy Government Agency does not want their guy implicated.
That's called a conspiracy theory. Please don't lend credence to it by mentioning it. That sort of thing comes from the same type of people who wear tinfoil hats so that their brainwaves can't be read by the alien lizard people.

I just watched the Netflix series. It was pretty decent. It focused a lot on Rackstraw, but didn’t seem like they were trying to sell you on him as they showed plenty of opposition to that theory.
I would like a follow up focusing more on some other suspects. Personally, I doubt any of the major suspects are actually DB Cooper, but they are extremely interesting people who led amazing lives.

Everyone is looking at this case from the view that Cooper had experience with parachutes and flying but I am not sure he was all that experienced in those things. Some points to consider:
  1. Cooper told the crew he wanted the jet to fly at 250mph at a low altitude with the flaps down. Any person asking a pilot questions or doing a little research would have known that was possible.
  2. He asked for 4 parachutes to make the authorities think he was going to take a hostage so to ensure he had a working parachute. This is nothing clever and similar things have been done before in hostage situations.
  3. Someone who jumps out of a jet at night during a storm with strong winds and in a business suit is no expert in parachuting. Even if he had made plans for someone to pick him up at a designated spot he has no way to see where he is going and the wind is blowing him all over the place.
The bottom line is that if D.B. Cooper didn't get killed being slammed into the ground upon landing then he probably died in the wilderness injured and unable to get help. The guy was a fool who got lucky until he jumped out of the jet and sealed his fate.

Everyone is looking at this case from the view that Cooper had experience with parachutes and flying but I am not sure he was all that experienced in those things. Some points to consider:
  1. Cooper told the crew he wanted the jet to fly at 250mph at a low altitude with the flaps down. Any person asking a pilot questions or doing a little research would have known that was possible.
  2. He asked for 4 parachutes to make the authorities think he was going to take a hostage so to ensure he had a working parachute. This is nothing clever and similar things have been done before in hostage situations.
  3. Someone who jumps out of a jet at night during a storm with strong winds and in a business suit is no expert in parachuting. Even if he had made plans for someone to pick him up at a designated spot he has no way to see where he is going and the wind is blowing him all over the place.
The bottom line is that if D.B. Cooper didn't get killed being slammed into the ground upon landing then he probably died in the wilderness injured and unable to get help. The guy was a fool who got lucky until he jumped out of the jet and sealed his fate.
If he was not experienced with parachutes, then he probably died, but we can't be sure. If he was an experienced jumper, then his chances might have been 50/50.

He actually gave his name as "Dan Cooper". The "D. B. Cooper" name came through an FBI misstatement to the press.

It would seem that "Cooper" did have at least some knowledge of aircraft and parachutes.

In spite of his attempt to ensure that he got 4 operable parachutes, one of the reserve chest chutes delivered to the plane by the FBI was an inert "dummy" chute used as a training device at a jump school.

This was not intentional, but rather occurred accidentally when only an administrative secretary at the jump school was available to give the chutes to FBI agents acting under time constraints imposed by "Cooper".

In fact, the inert dummy chute was not used. It was left aboard the plane when Cooper jumped.

He actually gave his name as "Dan Cooper". The "D. B. Cooper" name came through an FBI misstatement to the press.

It would seem that "Cooper" did have at least some knowledge of aircraft and parachutes.

In spite of his attempt to ensure that he got 4 operable parachutes, one of the reserve chest chutes delivered to the plane by the FBI was an inert "dummy" chute used as a training device at a jump school.

This was not intentional, but rather occurred accidentally when only an administrative secretary at the jump school was available to give the chutes to FBI agents acting under time constraints imposed by "Cooper".

In fact, the inert dummy chute was not used. It was left aboard the plane when Cooper jumped.

Wonder if it was left -- because the hijacker could tell the difference?

Wonder how many times that question has been asked....

jmho ymmv lrr

Has anybody did some extremely serious investigation in this thread on William J Smith. Everything lines up with him.

Has anybody did some extremely serious investigation in this thread on William J Smith. Everything lines up with him.
William J. Smith does resemble D.D. Cooper and he has a lot of military training but there is no hard evidence that he was the hijacker.

There's no evidence, period. Thousands of guys resemble D. B. Cooper and have military experience.
I would have to heavily disagree here:

For starters, William had extremely extensive paratrooper experience. He would have been 43 at the time of the hijacking and he went to high school with a person by the name of Ira Daniel Cooper. He worked for the Leigh Valley railroad company, which went bankrupt. This would have formed a motive, or a “grudge” against something or somebody. But these are all my thoughts.

IMO, I happen to agree with the theory of Cooper having something to prove...and experienced in aviation or military. He was cool, calm, and collected...his choices were "all wrong" for a plane hijacking....and that's the way he wanted it. His attire, suit and dress shoes, not only wrong for a jump, but it was cold and rainy . He also picked the least suitable parachute.
Cooper chose to not only jump in the dark, but during bad weather. He knew about altitudes and the right time to open the hatch. If survived, which I believe he did, he did not spend the money. It wasnt about money. He needed to prove that he could do this, in the worse circumstances possible. Maybe had beef with the military or airline. He didnt hurt anyone and remained non violent. Now, I'm not condoning his behavior..im sure there was some fear among the crew.
Again, my opinion.

IMO, I happen to agree with the theory of Cooper having something to prove...and experienced in aviation or military. He was cool, calm, and collected...his choices were "all wrong" for a plane hijacking....and that's the way he wanted it. His attire, suit and dress shoes, not only wrong for a jump, but it was cold and rainy . He also picked the least suitable parachute.
Cooper chose to not only jump in the dark, but during bad weather. He knew about altitudes and the right time to open the hatch. If survived, which I believe he did, he did not spend the money. It wasn't about money. He needed to prove that he could do this, in the worse circumstances possible. Maybe had beef with the military or airline. He didn't hurt anyone and remained non violent. Now, I'm not condoning his behavior..im sure there was some fear among the crew.
Again, my opinion.
It's tough to say whether he survived. He could have landed in the water or gotten caught in a tree and broken his neck.

His parachute could not be steered, and survivability with that kind of parachute is not 100% under the best circumstances. Survival would have been a matter of good luck or bad luck in terms of where he landed.

I would have to heavily disagree here:

For starters, William had extremely extensive paratrooper experience. He would have been 43 at the time of the hijacking and he went to high school with a person by the name of Ira Daniel Cooper. He worked for the Leigh Valley railroad company, which went bankrupt. This would have formed a motive, or a “grudge” against something or somebody. But these are all my thoughts.
Cooper is a very common name. I have known numerous unrelated people with that surname, and if you live in the U.S., you probably have, too.

There is a Canadian comic book that features a test pilot named Dan Cooper—who often jumps out of planes with a parachute—and that seems like too strong of a coincidence not to be the actual inspiration for the name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back