WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

I'll be curious to see if there is a serious backstory here. Was this deceased ex bf accused of domestic violence towards the mother or something like that? Or is this an alleged burglary that went sideways?

It feels to me like there is a bigger backstory here. But who knows?
Yes, I can't help but feel there is more here.

I'm from Pierce County (though now live a few hrs away), but have not heard many local rumors.

Investigators being a bit more guarded about the victims identity than for normal. I couldn't easily establish it from residency records and Gabriel's moms name seems to be be somewhat suppressed. Leads me to expect there are things to be found in public records and law enforcement is busy preparing the exact wording of their release for Tuesday. We'll see then exactly how everything lined up with the rules here I guess with regards to sleuthing victims, perpetrator motives and just 16 year old young men in general.

Yes, I can't help but feel there is more here.

I'm from Pierce County (though now live a few hrs away), but have not heard many local rumors.
The second degree charge implies GD and friend didn’t go there with premeditation. If locks were not changed, GD might still have had a key. The burglary charge is for entering the house without permission. It doesn’t specify if GD was there to take something that didn’t belong to him or if he was there to retrieve his or his mom’s belongings that were left there. Their first instinct, being teens, might have been to flee, rather, then calling 911, and trying to explain what happened.

That violates their terms of service, if I'm not mistaken. Unless they've changed their rules, you cannot raise money for the legal defense of a violent crime.

The family of Gabriel Davies, the 16-year-old murder suspect from Olympia, is asking for help to pay for his legal fees and bring him home. A page went live sometime on the afternoon of Sept. 3, just a day after Davies was booked into Remann Hall, Pierce County’s juvenile detention facility, on suspicion of second-degree murder, first-degree burglary, and unlawful gun possession. The fundraising goal is $25,000. The numbers had reached $20,200 as of 11 a.m. Sept. 4. But according to ’s Terms of Service, the platform is not supposed to be used to raise money connected to violent crimes.

Read more at: https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article265326336.html#storylink=cpy

The family of Gabriel Davies, the 16-year-old murder suspect from Olympia, is asking for help to pay for his legal fees and bring him home. A page went live sometime on the afternoon of Sept. 3, just a day after Davies was booked into Remann Hall, Pierce County’s juvenile detention facility, on suspicion of second-degree murder, first-degree burglary, and unlawful gun possession. The fundraising goal is $25,000. The numbers had reached $20,200 as of 11 a.m. Sept. 4. But according to ’s Terms of Service, the platform is not supposed to be used to raise money connected to violent crimes.

Read more at: https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article265326336.html#storylink=cpy
Thanks, that's exactly what I believed. I'm glad the media publicized that fact.

Looks like it has just been shut down.

Attachments

• 036DE68A-EEB6-4ED3-97A0-11CDCE112DD7.jpeg
    036DE68A-EEB6-4ED3-97A0-11CDCE112DD7.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 63
I'm sure if they made $20k overnight they'll be able to make the $25k they need through less public means of fundraising but the last thing we need is for violent crime to become associated with viral fundraising.

Investigators being a bit more guarded about the victims identity than for normal. I couldn't easily establish it from residency records and Gabriel's moms name seems to be be somewhat suppressed. Leads me to expect there are things to be found in public records and law enforcement is busy preparing the exact wording of their release for Tuesday. We'll see then exactly how everything lined up with the rules here I guess with regards to sleuthing victims, perpetrator motives and just 16 year old young men in general.
According to the article linked below, it sounds like the victim and GD's mom had some kind of family law case.

"Additional property and court records from Pierce and Thurston counties tie the address to a 51-year-old man with longstanding connections to Davies as well as his mother. All of them lived at the address for several years. The man and Davies’ mother were a couple, according to statements filed by both individuals in a long-running family law case. The man and Davies’ mother filed multiple statements in support of each other."

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article265315621.html#storylink=cpy

Doesn't burglary mean something was taken without permission?

Because "just entering" would be trespassing, wouldn't it?
He's charged with burglary 1, so here's the statute:

Burglary in the first degree.​

(1) A person is guilty of burglary in the first degree if, with intent to commit a crime against a person or property therein, he or she enters or remains unlawfully in a building and if, in entering or while in the building or in immediate flight therefrom, the actor or another participant in the crime (a) is armed with a deadly weapon, or (b) assaults any person.
(2) Burglary in the first degree is a class A felony.

Doesn't burglary mean something was taken without permission?

Because "just entering" would be trespassing, wouldn't it?
The sentence right after the one about entering without permission was that it didn’t matter if GD and friend entered intending to retrieve his own or his mothers belongings or if he went there to steal something that was not his. It could still be considered burglary because of what happened after they encountered the home’s owner.

From the article, the home owner was gone a lot so GD may have thought nobody was there. GD may still have had the key if the locks hadn’t been changed. Apparently, the mom moved out last month. GD went back and forth between his mom’s and dad’s homes.

“I never had any problems with him,” said Moore. “He wasn’t loud or anything. He was gone a lot. Had his mail on a hold a lot.”

Indeed, she says someone picked up his mail Monday.

Last edited:
What does this statement mean? In particular, the “in support of each other” aspect?
It was most likely a long running custody case between GD’s parents. He might be making statements in of support her parenting skills. She might be addressing issues or concerns that were brought up about him as her boyfriend and being a part of GD’s life.

It was most likely a long running custody case between GD’s parents. He might be making statements in of support her parenting skills. She might be addressing issues or concerns that were brought up about him as her boyfriend and being a part of GD’s life.
That was my interpretation as well.

A law enforcement source has confirmed to FOX 13 News Anchor David Rose that the victim has been identified as 51-year-old Daniel McCaw.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back