WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

Since LE said there would be more information today, has anyone seen a press conference scheduled?
I think they were probably referring to releasing the name of the victim. I don't see a press conference happening since the suspects are both juveniles, and there's really nothing that police will reveal during an active investigation. JMO

Updated to include GD was already a suspect when he was returned to his family on Thursday

Published: 6:37 PM PDT September 4, 2022
Updated: 9:08 AM PDT September 5, 2022

The PCSD said they knew Davies was a suspect on Thursday. Evidence found at the scene linked two 16-year-olds to the man's death but did not specify what that evidence was.

"Our detectives did a lot of work finding evidence at the scene as well as talking to other people and just developing good probable cause to find a connection between the suspects and the victim," PCSD Sgt. Darren Moss said. "Ultimately, they were able to get all the evidence they needed by Friday afternoon to make these arrests."

Residents of Chinook Estates enjoy the peace and quiet, so it was surprising for residents to hear about one of their neighbors being murdered.

“It’s pretty quiet. We keep to ourselves; we keep an eye out for each other up here,” said Ken Brainerd, who is a neighbor of the victim.

Updated to include GD was already a suspect when he was returned to his family on Thursday

Published: 6:37 PM PDT September 4, 2022
Updated: 9:08 AM PDT September 5, 2022

The PCSD said they knew Davies was a suspect on Thursday. Evidence found at the scene linked two 16-year-olds to the man's death but did not specify what that evidence was.

"Our detectives did a lot of work finding evidence at the scene as well as talking to other people and just developing good probable cause to find a connection between the suspects and the victim," PCSD Sgt. Darren Moss said. "Ultimately, they were able to get all the evidence they needed by Friday afternoon to make these arrests."

Residents of Chinook Estates enjoy the peace and quiet, so it was surprising for residents to hear about one of their neighbors being murdered.

“It’s pretty quiet. We keep to ourselves; we keep an eye out for each other up here,” said Ken Brainerd, who is a neighbor of the victim.
Odd they didn’t hear the gunshots, unless they are in an area that hears them. IMO

If you watch the news video here, no surprise that the neighbors did not hear anything.

Contrary to that resident's implication, FBI data suggests that from 2006-2018 there was only one homicide in Orting, Wa

I am amazed at how much was donated before the fund was shut down. I guess people just think handsome young guys need donations while over suspects don't.

I would guess the donations were from friends and family,people who know GD and believe there may be mitigating circumstances,which we don't know yet but there may be.
I haven't seen any such fund or any posts for his friend who was with him,which also also think the donations to GD's were people who know him. JMO.

In my opinion this was an unintentional combination of him going missing and the story going national/worldwide reaching tons of the people who are seeking out people to vicariously worry about or pray for or however they frame it, so those people turned him into a sweet angel and were very relieved he was found then immediately after being found he gets charged with a serious crime and those people haven't even had time to process it or have it processed for them by the media so in their mind they're still "helping out that poor missing boy".

It tends to be necessary for it to be a young good looking person for it to reach the heights of viral notoriety with that demographic. White girls are the ones that skyrocket but Gabriel here I guess checked enough boxes that lots of people knew about and were concerned for his disappearance.

Usually a few days after a viral missing person is found, once the collective "sigh of relief" is over the public starts expecting some explanation for the story and can be quite nasty if they aren't satisfied with it, even on the notoriously even-tempered Websleuths.

In this case the murder charges were filed immediately following the safe recovery announcement, when the public was still sighing in relief. Even here we're working at finding potential fact-based justifications for Gabriel. I'm surprised that his attorney hasn't beaten Law Enforcement to making a statement that the public is clearly eager to accept.

I'm sure it was just coincidental and wasn't considered by a public relations person at all but it is absolutely fascinating to me. Law Enforcement agencies studying this case should consider, if they find themselves in a similar situation, either announcing the charges against the missing person before announcing their recovery or delaying the charges until the media starts asking questions then maybe leak that he's a suspect in a major crime.

Now, I do think there's a good possibility that this murder was justified considering the intimate relationship that's already been established but I'm going to need to know a whole hell of a lot more before I'm going to be very sympathetic.

wow, haven't been online all weekend. I must say, I did not have the located MP being charged with murder on my true crime bingo card for this case. I feel for Gabe's family. I cannot imagine the emotional roller coaster this whole scenario has been for them. From the moment he went missing up to now their heads must be spinning from the highs and lows.

Last edited:
I am amazed at how much was donated before the fund was shut down. I guess people just think handsome young guys need donations while over suspects don't.
I disagree. Last checked before taken down, the donations were mostly large amounts -- most likely from relatives and friends known to the family and not random Joe's & Jane's attracted to handsome youth as OP implies. I believe the organizer and step-mom share the same surname. MOO

I disagree. Last checked before taken down, the donations were mostly large amounts -- most likely from relatives and friends known to the family and not random Joe's & Jane's attracted to handsome youth as OP implies. I believe the organizer and step-mom share the same surname. MOO
Why would friends and relatives donate through a site that takes a percentage rather than just writing a check and handing it to them? So it would definitively count as a charitable donation for tax purposes?

Why would friends and relatives donate through a site that takes a percentage rather than just writing a check and handing it to them? So it would definitively count as a charitable donation for tax purposes?
How it was donated would not change the tax deductibility (it would not be tax deductible in either case).

Police would not comment on what evidence they found tying the teenagers to the murder.

"Both males were booked into Remann Hall Juvenile Detention Center for Murder in the 2nd Degree, Burglary in the 1st Degree, and Unlawful Possession of a Firearm," according to the Pierce County Sheriff's Department.

As part of a law passed in the state in January, the minors cannot be interviewed by authorities unless their attorneys are present, according to Pierce County Sheriff’s Department Sergeant Darren Moss. It is not known at this time if the suspects have attorneys.

A *** was set up over the weekend to raise money for Davies’ legal defense. It raised almost $21,000 before it was taken down.

*** said the page violated its terms of service and that it doesn’t allow anyone to raise money for someone suspected of a violent crime.

Yikes, feels a bit yucky to read comments about how "handsome" and "good looking" a teen boy is or isn't. What is going on here?

He was reported missing, walked into a home and was returned to his family. Then, he was charged with murder with another teen boy. This is what matters here, not what he looks like. We don't know who pulled the trigger, we don't know how the situation even escalated. The charges seem to show that they went to the victim's home not intending to kill him. My guess would be that they weren't even expecting the victim to be home.

I suspect the community knows a lot about the relationship between Gabriel (and his family) and the victim and that's why there seems to be so much support.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back