WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

I have all kinds of issues with the "family conflict" line of excuses for what happened.
1 A 16-year-old boy and a father, or step-father, or any authority figure -- the idea that they didn't necessarily see eye-to-eye seems like a given, not like something to raise eyebrows.
2 It was a murder, which is not an allowable way to resolve squabbles, no matter what they may be.
3 The kid wasn't in a situation of having to resort to extreme means to get out of conflicts that were ongoing -- didn't even live there anymore. In fact, he broke in to be there.
4 Here's the biggie -- GD's attempted tale that he wasn't part of the murder (the other kid did it!!) completely negates the legitimacy of domestic conflict causes (because the other kid never lived there)..

This feels like a run-of-the-mill lying in wait event, to kill someone and take their stuff. They broke into a man's home (!) and then waited for him and then killed him and robbed him. The sort of thing that makes me hope these perps are locked up for good, so they don't do it to someone else. It could be you and yours the next time, or me and mine.

... the big bad biker ....Unless it proves to be true...

Whether that story is true or not doesn't really change anything -- "somebody told me to rob someone" (or even, to murder someone) would not be a defense for murder. (That's an excuse that would make every gang- or mob-related killing excusable. Um no.)

I dunno. I don't necessarily see GD in a good child-parent relationship with either biological parent.

I wonder if GD didn't want to leave DM's home and asked if he could live with him and when this didn't work out the way he hoped, GD couldn't accept no. In other words, if DM was going to reject him he was going to get even for the perceived betrayal.

I don't even want to go to the place where GD thought he was acting on behalf of AO. o_O

We know there's no evidence of MD ever pounding on AO's windows in the middle of the night (or causing a disturbance, anywhere).

We know that KD was the petitioner for divorce, and maybe DM also initiated the breakup.

Teens and teen angst are always difficult nuts to crack. MOO

Why was GD unaware of the CCTV in McCaw's house - he used to live there after all!

Maybe McCaw had it installed after GD and his Mom left, but why would he feel the need to do that?

A man living in a rural, quiet place by himself who owns many guns shouldn't need CCTV once his girlfriend and step-son moved out.

Unless....there was bad feeling between the two parties and McCaw didn't trust either GD or his mother to come back and cause trouble. Perhaps threats had been made when the relationship ended a few weeks previously?

MOO.

In an article posted just upthread GD’s father referenced CCTV when he went there to pick up the kids, so GD should have been aware of it.

Gabriel Davies faced school discipline a handful of times, according to school records filed in court. In elementary school, he was reprimanded twice for harassment or bullying and once for disruptive conduct related to a dangerous weapon.

In middle school, he was cited for violence without a major injury in 2017 and once for being a danger to himself or others in 2018, documents filed in court show. In the 2018 incident, Gabriel Davies brought bullets for a .22 rifle that Olufson and McCaw had gotten him for Christmas, his parents wrote in court filings. He was briefly suspended.

In the article quoted by @Seattle1, it’s clear that GD has anger and weapon issues dating back to elementary school and through middle school. This is a kid who was bound to go on to “bigger things” if there was no intervention. How many times have we seen a kid who was given a weapon by a parent or parent figure turn it on those very people. JMO

In the article quoted by @Seattle1, it’s clear that GD has anger and weapon issues dating back to elementary school and through middle school. This is a kid who was bound to go on to “bigger things” if there was no intervention. How many times have we seen a kid who was given a weapon by a parent or parent figure turn it on those very people. JMO

I would like to know what schools he went to. Orting is rather far from Olympia. GD now was a student in Olympia HS. But middle one? Did he ever go to Orting school?

I would like to know what schools he went to. Orting is rather far from Olympia. GD now was a student in Olympia HS. But middle one? Did he ever go to Orting school?
Reportedly, by the decision of the Court, GD has been living with his dad since age 12 (grade 7),(weekends with his mom), and we know that he was currently attending Olympia High School.

I don't think he lived in Orting during middle school but in Gig Harbor -- Peninsula School District 401. MOO

His mom and her BF made a poor decision giving him a weapon as a present at the age of 12 with his anger issues and suspensions. The elementary suspension was for disruptive conduct related to a weapon. It doesn’t say that he brought one to school or was in possession of one. Does that mean he was making gestures or joking about having one? Zero tolerance could mean suspension for that.

His mom and her BF made a poor decision giving him a weapon as a present at the age of 12 with his anger issues and suspensions. The elementary suspension was for disruptive conduct related to a weapon. It doesn’t say that he brought one to school or was in possession of one. Does that mean he was making gestures or joking about having one? Zero tolerance could mean suspension for that.
Luckily GD only brought the ammo to school and not the gun. And only shot one adult man (RIP) instead of shooting up the school. We could be having a whole different conversation right now. jmo

This article provides a lot more new information.

Kenneth Davies also raised concerns about McCaw. He said he displayed volatile behavior and threatened the person Davies’ daughter was dating. While waiting to speak with a school counselor, he claimed McCaw said he would go to prison if the person returned to his house because he would hurt them.

Kenneth Davies grew more worried when he visited McCaw’s home for the first time to pick up his kids. He wrote in a court filing that McCaw’s house had security cameras and signs warning about trespassing and 24-hour surveillance. A Confederate flag flew just beneath a U.S. flag in the front yard. A plaque at the front door read in part: “If you choose to break in you will either be shot by a sleeping family member or you have minutes before the alarm calls the cops. If they don’t get you, I will without their help. This will be your last theft.” Once in the car, the kids told their dad that McCaw had other flags inside. One was a yellow Gadsen flag, which has been co-opted by far-right groups. The other was emblazoned with a swastika.

McCaw claimed he yelled at the person Olufson’s daughter was dating for sneaking into the house and allegedly stealing an iPhone charger.

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article265412351.html#storylink=cpy
This is what I was waiting for and expecting.

Why was GD unaware of the CCTV in McCaw's house - he used to live there after all!

Maybe McCaw had it installed after GD and his Mom left, but why would he feel the need to do that?

A man living in a rural, quiet place by himself who owns many guns shouldn't need CCTV once his girlfriend and step-son moved out.

Unless....there was bad feeling between the two parties and McCaw didn't trust either GD or his mother to come back and cause trouble. Perhaps threats had been made when the relationship ended a few weeks previously?

MOO.
In link Upthread, GD father noted his cctv system the first time he picked his kids up from there in 2018 so GD had to know.

"A judge sent Davies kids at 16 and 12 years old, to live with their dad in 2018. In 2019, the daughter said her father, Davies, was violent and physically aggressive toward her and her brother. Judge ruled insufficient evidence on the allegations and sent the kids back to their dad's custody. In 2020, they were set to live with dad on the weekdays and mom on the weekends."

Perhaps kids liked living with mom and McCaw and wanted to go back?
More lenient, permissive, etc.?

"A judge sent Davies kids at 16 and 12 years old, to live with their dad in 2018. In 2019, the daughter said her father, Davies, was violent and physically aggressive toward her and her brother. Judge ruled insufficient evidence on the allegations and sent the kids back to their dad's custody. In 2020, they were set to live with dad on the weekdays and mom on the weekends."

Perhaps kids liked living with mom and McCaw and wanted to go back?
More lenient, permissive, etc.?
Actually, that's not correct.

Kids were living with dad for the 2018 school year and mom on the weekends.
When the daughter made the allegation against her dad in 2019, the kids stayed with their mom until the judge ruled on the allegation. Judge ruled there was no evidence to substantiate the daughter's claim, and the kids were then returned to the dad on the same schedule, and the mom had weekend visitation.

In January 2020, the Court made this arrangement permanent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back