GUILTY WA - Jay Cook, 20, & Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, Skagit County, 24 Nov 1987

SolVic

Reaction score
Gotta love how some guy completely deleted all references to William Earl Talbott II on the Wikipedia article.

faithx

Reaction score

taramarie

Reaction score

dotr

Reaction score
Conviction for murder of young B.C. couple reversed due to juror’s bias: court ruling | Globalnews.ca
''In 2019, Talbott was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

However, he stated numerous “evidentiary and constitutional errors occurred at trial” including a biased juror.

In a ruling, the Washington State Court of Appeals found that under questioning a juror indicated she might have “difficulty with the topics and evidence of the trial, due to past traumatic experiences and as a new mother, such that she was unsure if she could be fair.”

The ruling states “since seating a biased juror is reversible error, we need not reach his other various challenges argued in briefing or the issues Talbott raises in a pro se statement of additional grounds for review. We reverse.”

At the time, Talbott’s lawyer moved to have the juror removed but the trial court denied the motion and the woman deliberated on the case.''

SolVic

Reaction score
Upsetting news:

Conviction overturned for U.S. man whose DNA linked him to B.C. couple’s 1987 killing - Cowichan Valley Citizen

"Cold-case defendant William Talbott’s aggravated murder convictions were reversed Monday due to a juror’s bias, more than two years after a high-profile trial in the 1987 killings of a young Saanich couple, Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg."
Uh, excuse me? The DNA doesn’t lie. Genetic genealogy hasn’t up before. CeCe Moore put her heart into this.

dotr

Reaction score
Washington man's conviction reversed in 1987 murders of Vancouver Island couple
"I’m an emotional person as it is, and I try to be very, very logical and methodical in decisions I make in my life and, you know, trying to see both sides of everything," the juror told the lawyers during the selection process, according to the appeals court ruling.

"But like I said, if it’s a case involving violence and women, it’s just something that I’ve already experienced in my life, and I fear that I will always inherently have as a mother, so that’s just the one thing that I probably couldn’t get past," the juror said.

She added that seeing graphic photos – like the kind that were later presented at trial – might "cloud my judgment."

The three judges on the appellate court panel wrote in their decision that after "her clear, repeated expressions of actual bias as to the precise nature of the allegations at the heart of this trial and evidence which would be introduced, we cannot conclude that juror 40 was sufficiently rehabilitated such that Talbott was provided a fair and impartial jury."

SolVic

Reaction score
Okay, so what I’m getting is that one of the jurors was biased. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the other 11 find him guilty?