Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #10 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have officials made a statement saying threats to the Gaeta's will not be tolerated? (Not even sure it would discourage people). GG's family has already received a 'life sentence' of pain. I was under the impression that the Gaetas moved out of the park. Are they being threatened through social media? Or beyond that, such as at work or new residence? In any event,it's so wrong and if I were in that situation, I'd be very scared. I can't imagine going through knowing what happened to Jenise, allegedly by GG's hand, having to move, friends cars getting torched--who could even function??

Well, I guess if there is one thing we learned from yesterday it's that he does not intend to plead guilty.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Murder-suspects-family-threatened-273118561.html

BREMERTON, Wash. -- The family of rape and murder suspect Gabe Gaeta reportedly is receiving threats against them. Gaeta is accused in the rape and murder of 6-year-old Jenise Wright near her Bremerton home earlier this month.
From the link in your post in case anyone missed it.

"Gaeta will remain in the jail until next Wednesday when he'll be sent to the state hospital for evaluation and then return here with the results due in open court Sept. 12."

From the link in your post in case anyone missed it.

"Gaeta will remain in the jail until next Wednesday when he'll be sent to the state hospital for evaluation and then return here with the results due in open court Sept. 12."

BIB

GG has yet to been evaluated by the state hospital. IMO, that is the reason for the delay. Nothing more, nothing less. From what I've read here, there is a backlog/waiting list for evaluations. Just because GG is a high profile case, doesn't mean he gets to jump to the front of the line, so to speak. This is just my understanding of the proceedings. I could be way off base, as IANAL. I eagerly await gitana's expert opinion.

So what happens if he is found not sane enough to go thru trial? I doubt this will happen but what then? I don't understand why he has to have a mental evaluation? is this standard for all rapists and murders?

This is a "suppose" post based on this article:
http://www.bremertonpatriot.com/news/270835211.html
and this article:
http://www.insidebainbridge.com/tag/gabriel-gaeta/

In the first article, it states: "He was given food, soda and the chance for multiple restroom breaks and access to anti-depression medication" BBM. They don't normally give access to anti-depression medication to just anyone. That was the first clue way back when that he was on medication. Then it was confirmed (in the second article) when " His defense attorney agreed that the evaluation was appropriate, citing the fact that Gaeta suffered from depression for which he was taking medication."

From this site:http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medications_depression.htm
  • "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires all depression medications to include a warning label about the increased risk of suicide in children and young adults."
  • "For some people, antidepressant treatment causes an increase, rather than a decrease, in depression—and with it, an increased risk of suicide. While this is particularly true of children and young adults on antidepressant medication, anyone taking antidepressants should be closely watched for suicidal thoughts and behaviors. The suicide risk is greatest during the first one to two months of antidepressant treatment."
  • "Signs that medication is making things worse include anxiety, insomnia, hostility, and extreme agitation—particularly if the symptoms appear suddenly or rapidly deteriorate."
BBM

SUPPOSE GG had not been on the medication very long. SUPPOSE what happened was a reaction to the medication. SUPPOSE what happened was the first and/or only indication that this medication severely adversely affected GG. If any of this is the case, this is exactly where his attorney is going to go. And rightly so if, by some bizarre conjunction of the universe, whatever medication this young man was on turned him into some kind of raging bull. There are enough posters here who have seen loved ones on and off of medication to know it can do worlds of help, and worlds of harm. (not to mention any personal experiences)

IF (and that is a big IF), GG hasn't enough recollection of what happened due to some reaction with the medication, it may be determined he cannot help his defense in his case, thereby possibly making him not competent.

And this could be why they are keeping his face covered. If he isn't charged as an adult (because he is not competent), then he is still a juvenile.

Just me looking at this from another direction.

This would only work if, and this is a big if, his defense atty can provide precedent that there have been X number of other children/teens/young adults that reacted so violently to their initial dosages of anti-depressants, they raped and brutally murdered a defenseless little kid, as a direct result. I honestly don't know if there are any other cases where this has been proven. However, we also have to figure in the fact that he stalled when asked for DNA, and hid JW's body, proving beyond any shadow of doubt he KNEW what he did, knew it was wrong, and tried to hide it.

I think he knew what he was doing all along, and did it because he wanted to, and thought he'd get away with it.

This would only work if, and this is a big if, his defense atty can provide precedent that there have been X number of other children/teens/young adults that reacted so violently to their initial dosages of anti-depressants, they raped and brutally murdered a defenseless little kid, as a direct result. I honestly don't know if there are any other cases where this has been proven. However, we also have to figure in the fact that he stalled when asked for DNA, and hid JW's body, proving beyond any shadow of doubt he KNEW what he did, knew it was wrong, and tried to hide it.

I think he knew what he was doing all along, and did it because he wanted to, and thought he'd get away with it.
Yeah, I would need extensive, well-sourced data to buy that an adverse reaction to an antidepressant could cause someone to rape and murder.

Well, I guess if there is one thing we learned from yesterday it's that he does not intend to plead guilty.

yes.....and I cannot say more ..... family values....MOO

This is a "suppose" post based on this article:
http://www.bremertonpatriot.com/news/270835211.html
and this article:
http://www.insidebainbridge.com/tag/gabriel-gaeta/

In the first article, it states: "He was given food, soda and the chance for multiple restroom breaks and access to anti-depression medication" BBM. They don't normally give access to anti-depression medication to just anyone. That was the first clue way back when that he was on medication. Then it was confirmed (in the second article) when " His defense attorney agreed that the evaluation was appropriate, citing the fact that Gaeta suffered from depression for which he was taking medication."

From this site:http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medications_depression.htm
  • "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires all depression medications to include a warning label about the increased risk of suicide in children and young adults."
  • "For some people, antidepressant treatment causes an increase, rather than a decrease, in depression—and with it, an increased risk of suicide. While this is particularly true of children and young adults on antidepressant medication, anyone taking antidepressants should be closely watched for suicidal thoughts and behaviors. The suicide risk is greatest during the first one to two months of antidepressant treatment."
  • "Signs that medication is making things worse include anxiety, insomnia, hostility, and extreme agitation—particularly if the symptoms appear suddenly or rapidly deteriorate."
BBM

SUPPOSE GG had not been on the medication very long. SUPPOSE what happened was a reaction to the medication. SUPPOSE what happened was the first and/or only indication that this medication severely adversely affected GG. If any of this is the case, this is exactly where his attorney is going to go. And rightly so if, by some bizarre conjunction of the universe, whatever medication this young man was on turned him into some kind of raging bull. There are enough posters here who have seen loved ones on and off of medication to know it can do worlds of help, and worlds of harm. (not to mention any personal experiences)

IF (and that is a big IF), GG hasn't enough recollection of what happened due to some reaction with the medication, it may be determined he cannot help his defense in his case, thereby possibly making him not competent.

And this could be why they are keeping his face covered. If he isn't charged as an adult (because he is not competent), then he is still a juvenile.

Just me looking at this from another direction.

you raise excellent points.....I am of the belief that he suffers from the usual garden variety of don't wanna tell and you can't make me obstinence seen in immature teens .....((right grandmother with wooden spoon circa 1950's could make such kids remember real quick))MOO

I guess my big question would be how much influence do a minor's parents have in the defense? In other words, if a parent said ''own up'' and deal.....MOO --

Yeah, I would need extensive, well-sourced data to buy that an adverse reaction to an antidepressant could cause someone to rape and murder.

Yep.

Cause them to rape a 6 year old, possibly twice (shorts put back on, then taken back off), hide her body, changed bloody/muddy clothes and squirrel them away in your room, feign days of worry for his 6 year-old 'friend', be unable to open your mouth for a swab, attend the vigil....

That covers, what, 5 or 6 days of 'adverse reaction'?

That looks to me like garden variety horrifically criminal behavior, followed by several days of hope for getting away with it, IMO.

As a regular poster with a kiddo with legal issues and mental illness (neither the charge nor the diagnosis match GG's), I can easily attest that if the defense attorney was interested, creative and had a plan, I would have followed him to the moon. Watching your kid sit in jail and not be able to have access or control (and mine had just turned 18 but is also very immature), I was open to any ideas to make it better for us all.

Of course he didn't kill anyone and his diagnosis definitely played a part in his case. As for me running the show? The lawyer makes it clear, or did to me, upfront, that he represents the accused, not the parent.

As a regular poster with a kiddo with legal issues and mental illness (neither the charge nor the diagnosis match GG's), I can easily attest that if the defense attorney was interested, creative and had a plan, I would have followed him to the moon. Watching your kid sit in jail and not be able to have access or control (and mine had just turned 18 but is also very immature), I was open to any ideas to make it better for us all.

Of course he didn't kill anyone and his diagnosis definitely played a part in his case. As for me running the show? The lawyer makes it clear, or did to me, upfront, that he represents the accused, not the parent.

Thank you -- that's what I wanted to know.

It seemed odd to me that IF a parent is financially responsible for the attorney fees that there would be no working relationship. Am I wrong in ''assuming'' that if all the evidence stacks up that kiddo did murder someone that in the interest of family safety and moving on to heal that a parent could not influence said accused into pleading guilty and explaining that to the attorney as well? ((serious question - no snark intended)) MOO

bbm turning 18 would be a big point in this case ..... GG has the advantage of being 'deemed' a minor at this point ((face covered etc)) so this is where the grey area lies for me ((this is where I am thinking as a parent and the whole care and control issue in terms of acting on best interest of child))

Thank you -- that's what I wanted to know.

It seemed odd to me that IF a parent is financially responsible for the attorney fees that there would be no working relationship. Am I wrong in ''assuming'' that if all the evidence stacks up that kiddo did murder someone that in the interest of family safety and moving on to heal that a parent could not influence said accused into pleading guilty and explaining that to the attorney as well? ((serious question - no snark intended)) MOO

bbm turning 18 would be a big point in this case ..... GG has the advantage of being 'deemed' a minor at this point ((face covered etc)) so this is where the grey area lies for me ((this is where I am thinking as a parent and the whole care and control issue in terms of acting on best interest of child))

I think if I would have talked to the attorney in that way, he'd have probably said, "Mom, we're talking about your son's life, is where you live and some bullying more important than that?"

I can just say that I paid the lawyer my money and he was pretty clear that my opinion or feelings weren't his concern. He was an experienced prosecutor prior (which seems to be fairly common) and told me what we were going to do, no effort at all to see what I wanted, other than knowing I wanted the lightest sentence possible. Despite the mental health issue, etc., he did get a felony plea deal with probation (it was his first offense). The attorney laid out the potential options and I guess I had a choice on what I wanted to pay for/possible outcomes. The other option was to fight it for about 4x more money and run the chance of a 25 year sentence. I didn't even consider it at all, it was too risky.

And mine never got any meds in jail (6 days) despite me making as much noise as I could (you can't get a human on the phone even after holding for literally hours) and the lawyer stepping in. And he had obvious pre-existing issues with an official title (in Maricopa county, adults can be certified as severely mentally ill or SMI and he had that title in order to get more intensive care) and didn't get a single pill in jail.

Course, if GG was in Arizona, he'd never see the light of day, no matter what the lawyer tried. While blue Washington is fairly permissive, red Arizona is a whole 'nother ballgame.

sorry to hear that Maricopa didn't honor your son's medical issues right away CF

I realize that as a layman parent it would always be wise to follow attorney's lead and instructions but I have still have some questions that remain unanswered for now.

sorry to hear that Maricopa didn't honor your son's medical issues right away CF

I realize that as a layman parent it would always be wise to follow attorney's lead and instructions but I have still have some questions that remain unanswered for now.

Agreed, I do too. My lawyer was super nice and very ethical, I think he really had my son's best interest at heart. They may not all be that way, for sure. There may be a ton who want publicity and also some who want to not put out any work.

I am thinking they would only need to prove a violent reaction having been had by anyone. The exact nature of the violence doesn't matter, since every person's reactions will be different. I am NOT saying GG will or even could get off with this defense, but it would be a mitigating factor IF it could be proven. The fact that he knew it was wrong after the fact does not mean he was aware it was wrong during the actual occurrence. I know most people here don't want to believe this could be true, but due to personal experience with my friend's brother where a mild mannered man became an insane horn-dog and it took 6 of us to pull him off the poor girl (Thank goodness she was an old friend and VERY understanding), I have to look from that direction, too. In his case, he decided to go OFF his meds--so there is that possibility in this case as well; bad reaction to cold turkey stopping meds.

My main point is that if that defense attorney is worth anything, he is going to pull out all stops, including but not limited to GG's medication and mental state possibly being the cause or part of the cause of his actions.

And FWIW, I don't think this is garden variety behavior at all. No matter how it shakes out, GG does not strike me as garden variety, which is what led him to where he is. Garden variety people just don't DO that. JMO.

I am thinking they would only need to prove a violent reaction having been had by anyone. The exact nature of the violence doesn't matter, since every person's reactions will be different. I am NOT saying GG will or even could get off with this defense, but it would be a mitigating factor IF it could be proven. The fact that he knew it was wrong after the fact does not mean he was aware it was wrong during the actual occurrence. I know most people here don't want to believe this could be true, but due to personal experience with my friend's brother where a mild mannered man became an insane horn-dog and it took 6 of us to pull him off the poor girl (Thank goodness she was an old friend and VERY understanding), I have to look from that direction, too. In his case, he decided to go OFF his meds--so there is that possibility in this case as well; bad reaction to cold turkey stopping meds.

My main point is that if that defense attorney is worth anything, he is going to pull out all stops, including but not limited to GG's medication and mental state possibly being the cause or part of the cause of his actions.

And FWIW, I don't think this is garden variety behavior at all. No matter how it shakes out, GG does not strike me as garden variety, which is what led him to where he is. Garden variety people just don't DO that. JMO.

I can't speak for others, but when I referred to him as 'garden variety', I meant of the same perverted garden as Ryan Brunn (Jorelys Rivera), Tyler Holder (Alanna Gallagher) and Donald Smith (Cherish Perrywinkle). All set up a situation ahead of time so they could play out their twisted child rape fantasies.

That GG just happened to rape and murder his friend's little sister the exact same weekend his friend and the girl's big brother is out of town AND coincidentally is the child of parents who just happen to not be looking for her if she's gone an entire day, speaks more to planned crime of opportunity, not a sudden onset horn-dog drug induced rage thing.

Whatever his defense is, I hope it fails. He's a violent child predator. Protecting the community is the most important thing. If the judicial system had worked properly (and CPS, but that's another story), Donald Smith wouldn't have been out of jail for 21 days so he could rape and murder Cherish Perrywinkle. It appears all jail taught him was to try something new and KILL his victim *after* raping them. Because dead children don't talk.

I suppose they can try anything as a mitigating factor. I can't imagine a single juror viewing her torn an mutilated 6 year-old genitalia, then viewing the strangulation marks and skull fractures and thinking, "Yes, well....but he was coming down off Prozac...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288