GUILTY WA - Jennifer Bastian, 13, Tacoma, 4 Aug 1986 *ARREST*

Washburn's 20 year old daughter is disabled and he has been her primary caretaker for many years. What will happen to her now? So many people are hurt when someone commits such evil.

It's always amazing to me when a murderer is caught, how those closest to him are completely stunned to learn their loved one was capable of committing an unspeakable crime. How a person can turn on (or off) parts of who they are, depending on who they're around, is mind-boggling.

Sad news for those closest to him (they're victims too) but glad to finally read little Jennifer's case has been solved.

That aged DNA image looks kinda close, I suppose.
attachment.php

Screenshot_20180514-085828.jpg

Source of pic is post #8, but I messed up trying to capture the post as a reference and source. I can't figure out how to fix the link.

Don't think this has been posted yet.

Who was Robert Washburn in the 1980s? Police have few details on suspect in Bastian case
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article211133344.html#storylink=cpy

May 14, 2018 05:11 PM

Updated May 14, 2018 06:17 PM

The man accused of killing 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian remains something of a mystery.

Tacoma police are working to piece together who Robert Washburn was and what he was up to in 1986, when he allegedly abducted, sexually assaulted and killed Bastian.[......]
For the last nine years or so, he lived in an apartment in Eureka, Illinois. He was the sole caretaker of his disabled daughter, who is in her 20s. She is now in the care of her grandmother.

My bold - good to know she is with family.

Since we will be closed on Monday thought I'd post this now....

Monday, May 21st:
*Arraignment Hearing - WA - Jennifer Bastian (13) (Aug. 4, 1986; found 8/28/86) - Robert D. Washburn (60/28 @ time of crime) arrested (5/10/18) in Illinois. Had hearing Friday (5/11/18) will not fight extradition to Washington. Charged with 1st degree murder.
JB would go over to Washburn's apartment all the time. Hailey (Mom) allowed her 12-year-old daughter to visit Washburn’s home several times a week to spend time with his daughter, who is in her early 20s now.
In 2016, using technology called DNA phenotyping, Tacoma police and the Virginia based company Parabon Nanolabs produced computer generated composites that could reveal the faces of two killers responsible for murders, using evidence found after the murders of 12-year-old Michella Welch and 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian. They are not same killer.

If I see any updates, I shall save them and post when we get back on May 24th! :eek:nline:

no, not Jennifer, a neighbor in IL allowed her child to visit the apartment.
Since we will be closed on Monday thought I'd post this now....

Monday, May 21st:
*Arraignment Hearing - WA - Jennifer Bastian (13) (Aug. 4, 1986; found 8/28/86) - Robert D. Washburn (60/28 @ time of crime) arrested (5/10/18) in Illinois. Had hearing Friday (5/11/18) will not fight extradition to Washington. Charged with 1st degree murder.
JB would go over to Washburn's apartment all the time. Hailey (Mom) allowed her 12-year-old daughter to visit Washburn’s home several times a week to spend time with his daughter, who is in her early 20s now.
In 2016, using technology called DNA phenotyping, Tacoma police and the Virginia based company Parabon Nanolabs produced computer generated composites that could reveal the faces of two killers responsible for murders, using evidence found after the murders of 12-year-old Michella Welch and 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian. They are not same killer.

If I see any updates, I shall save them and post when we get back on May 24th! :eek:nline:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Suspect in 1986 murder leaves Woodford County Jail
Suspect in 1986 murder leaves Woodford County Jail

Updated: May 23, 2018 11:08 AM CDT
An employee at the Woodford County Jail says Robert Washburn was extradited Wednesday morning. He's being taken back to Washington state, but there's no word on when or how he'll arrive there.

So, guessing he did NOT have an arraignment hearing on the 21st....

I wonder if Washburn killed any other girls? I lived less than 5 blocks from where he was living when he killed Jennifer Bastian. One source says he lived in the 3100 block of N. Huson St. In north Tacoma at that time. It wasn’t very far from Point Defiance Park where Jennifer disappeared and was later found dead. Law enforcement analyzed the trail and area where the crime took place and said the area had been prepared ahead of the crime. I’d say this sounds like someone who killed before rather than just an impulsive snatch.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back